Favorite squirrel rifle?

Maddog2

New here, boys, and I realize it's off season for a lot of small game hunters. Just to get something started and get aquainted with the "limb chicken" chasers, on this forum, what's your favorite gun for the job? Post some pics if ya got em.

My new favorite, since last year is a little H&R Sportster .22 rimfire, that I bought last Feb. I've really gotten into single shot rifles the last few years, and even took a Ruger No.1, 375 H&H on my Dangerous Game safari to Zimbabwe, in 2011. Decided I needed a single shot for squirrels, and had more fun, last yr. chasin' them than I've had in two decades. Here's a couple of pics, using the ole girl and then a pic of the camo upgrade I did last week, in honor of my birthday....

squirrelhunting.jpg

sguirrelhunting022.jpg

Picture012-1.jpg

now a pic of the upgrade.

Picture019_zps2c71e53a.jpg

Them squills better watch out come August 15, 2013...
grin.gif

Maddog

I am currently using an old Stevens automatic from the 50's or my Winchester 9422M 22 mag with a Tasco World Class Plus scope.

Hope to be running a Savage 17hmr with a bull barrel and a good scope by this season. Probably one of these:

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/93R17BTV

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/93R17GV

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/93R17BVSS

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/93R17BTVS

I had a chance to buy one Friday for $350 OTD with 3 boxes of ammo, but a buddy had asked me to find him one so I called him and he bought it. NIB Walnut Stock, blue bull barrel Savage Accutrigger model. I thought it was the best looking 17 I had ever seen, but a deal is a deal so he got it.

When I feel adventurous and want to give them a chance, I carry the Ruger MKII slabside.
2012%20squirrels.jpg

If I'm hungry or playing backup to my buddies kid, I take the wifes Mossberg 500E .410 with full choke.
PICT0275.JPG

My alltime favorite was my buddies dad's K77/22 Ruger in 22LR. Had an old Tasco 3x-9x on it. I could punch squirrels in the noggin with that rifle all day, even running too. It usually didn't last long, somebody always relieved me of it when my squirrel pile got bigger than theirs
whistle.gif

Back in college I used my old faithful Ruger 10-22 to take a lot of squirrels. More recently, I've started using a Savage 93R17 in .17 HMR. It's deadly accurate and a joy to shoot.

Yes, there's a squirrel in the picture.
smile.gif
The kids and went walkabout during a hog hunt last spring and stumbled upon this little fella.
TroyReganErik24Mar2012Squirrel_zps8a944f8a.jpg

Remington tube fed .22 rifle with military peep sights I've had since I was 12 years old. I can't post a picture because I loaned it to my Pastor earlier last year. I've shot tons of squirrels and woodchucks with that rifle through the years.

Last edited:
Brno 452 barrel shortened to 18 inch 11 degree crown threaded 1/2 inch unf, vameco supressor it is accurate and reliable, i am not looking for another .22 LR it plain works for me and what i do.
I do use a couple of air rifles sometime when hunting with the kids, a pre charged webley raider single (early model)and my old feinwerkbau 127 sport.

Last edited:
This is probably the funnest gun I've ever hunted squirrels with... Dixie Gun Works .32.

458777_473790005999004_1406210625_o.jpg

This Browning BL-22 usually goes when I take dogs..

622426_442199602491378_561899324_o.jpg

Occasionally, I'll zap 'em with the .222!
grin.gif
You have to have precise bullet placement if you want to eat anything though...

457781_507499325961405_2048502401_o.jpg

Ben

I love to hunt squirrels with a .22,but dont know if I could pick a fave [beeep], tuff call to make.

Seems all the autos had rotten triggers so a 10-22 was my pic because the trigger could be replaced/repaired, but really dig me a Marlin 60 & have found a few trigger fixes for it also.

Bolt gun ?.........CZ, says it all, & how can a man NOT love a single shot, ther great little guns & are a blast to hunt with, your pics makes me want to buy a H&R now, thats just a sharp little gun.

Last edited:
J.C.Higgins single shot .22lr with a fixed 4X Leupold scope....my first gun handed down from my father and one of my favorite rifles as well.
That old 22 is more accurate then I would have ever possibly imagined...

Back