>>>>>COW- MOO-BILE..... Constructed and Heading WEST...<<<<<

Dan, don't let it get you down.
Look at it this way.........
Harriet might need a little touch up, to her make-up.
And, maybe those coyotes didn't react as you expected.
However, these are coyotes that we're talking about.
You never know...coyotes in other areas might not get spooked.

On a side note...for your consideration.......

I know you spent a lot of time (and money).
But, since you are driving, looking for those spot & stalk opportunities [?]...instead of being black, maybe Harriet should be a more "grass-colored" critter.
You know, even though it's moving, be more of a shy gal, that coyotes have a hard time picking out from the surrounding grasses.
Maybe that big black out-spoken gal is just too brash for fidgety coyotes to want to mingle with?

Also, I am assuming that you have gotten the engine noise to as minimum as is possible?
Rattles, clangs and bangs of idling thru the pastures...can't do anything about that I'm afraid.

back to the drawing board. maybe a geo-jackrabbit? long floppy ears and a cute bunny tail. how could a coyote resist that.
lol.gif

be safe on the trip back home dan.

No suprise it did not work, at a distance it still looked like a black vehicle . Other than covering up some of the glass to cut down glare, I saw it as a wasted of money and time. Everybody has to try things that may or may not work in their life.

Better luck next time...

Dan, I watched the whole project progress, shaking my head the whole time. I just sat back and watched ,hoping your outcome would be way better than I expected. It was rather entertaining to say the least.
grin.gif

I was kinda bummed you packed up and headed home. Why not hunt anyway, you seem to really enjoy it ?

Luck
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dan brothers Honey... get the grill started....

GEDC0638_zps5juu8rgo.jpg

Good sense of humor, Dan!
lol.gif
Someone said a study shows that coyotes see black better than most colors, maybe white spots would break up outline & help?????????? Don't cook "her" yet.

Hey, one way or the other, it's not a total loss. You still have a nice hunting rig and had fun building it.

Regards,
hm

I wasn't trying to camo her, but tried to make her fit in with the rest of the Gals.

She was probably just too Big to fool anyone...even these Ladies backed up a little bit.

GEDC0631_zps44uexrbi.jpg

GEDC0630_zpsw1ukzmjd.jpg

GEDC0629_zpsshxtupst.jpg

GEDC0628_zps3ihi8jwr.jpg

I think she might have been mad at me because I kept calling her Holstein Harriet, when she really was a Angus Annie... but I like Holsteins better... and I think she knew that.

Or it could have been because I hooked her up with all those electric wires during that thunderstorm and tried to turn her into a Franken-Cow

My first negative coyote responses were the two I saw at 860 yds, that moved further away after I came around the hill. Then there was the mangy one at 460, that ran and stopped several times before he got over the hill. I would of had shooting opportunities if I'd gotten into position quicker. It's response really bummed me out. Then later on there was one standing on a hill top at 500 yds, which hung around long enough to say... No way Jose.

After those encounters I told Harriet... if you can't fool them, then I can't shoot them... we are going home.

The last evening set, I tried parking on a hill top and calling. I called one in alright, but it hung up on another hill top, 560 yds away and barked. That was fine with me, but I believed I ranged the hill's face, and not the coyote standing on the back of the hill, because I saw the dust blow up in it's face at it stood there looking at me. All I could see was the middle of it's chest, and upwards... I should have put the crosshairs between it's eyes and let it drop in.... Hmmm.... lesson learned.

I could have stayed there and hunted like a normal person, but my goal was to shoot them off her shooting platform, which was super stable in every way... and to fool those coyotes a little bit.

Like the Frank Sinatra Song... I wanted to do it my Way...LOL.

Another Big disappointment to this trip was NOT being able to kill a yote with my 20 cal Black Hole Bullets... I just know they will be AWESOME... I'll make up for it next time.

Lord willing... there will be a next time.

Last edited:
Just because Plan A didn't work, doesn't mean I can't go to Plan B or C... grass camo or ghost blind panels.

I thought alot about my two options on my trip back home. I was a little discouraged that Harriet didn't work like I had planned... and that the sign I put on the back of the van didn't get any response. I couldn't believe that I drove nearly 8000 miles in these two last trips, and nobody, not one person even mentioned the sign, Jesus name, or Healing in His name. I was venting my disappointment to the Lord as I drove along, and explaining that it was all a waste of time. Then suddenly a strong thought came to me... it was... "It's never a waste of time to promote Me or the works that I do... the problem is that the World today, especially in America, is that they have too much Self-Sufficient Independence. They are more concerned about who is sitting in the White House, then they are with My Presence sitting in their house. Even in the days that I walked the earth, only the needy found Me... the desperate and the humble."

That set me back into my seat for several miles of thinking.

When my mind would come back to Harriet's situation, all I could think of was to seriously camo her to look like switchback grass, or to make mirror panels to make her invisible. Invisible would be best, but pulling that off may be a challenge...but then again... the cow thing was a bigger challenge than creating mirror-foil panels that could be attached in place when needed.

If I create the mirror thing, then it would work in ALL environments and current weather conditions.

I may have to do both... camo her sandy tan-grassy... and create a rail system that allows panels to be slid into place and attached.

Something will work... not sure exactly at the moment, but I'm open to ideas and opinions.

This sure is alot of trouble to shoot long range coyotes, but the challenge of a shooting system for unknown yardage coyotes, has me hooked by the short hairs...LOL.

I may have to get into the minds of those Waterfowl Hunters if I want to do something grassy.

decoration-grass-blinds-and-beavertail-ghillie-grass-mat-blind-material-nylon-18_zpsv0rjkun2.jpg

images_zpsscvh6gpi.jpg
66043f14-d7e4-44be-b485-12e46ffc9b7b_400_zpshid5jxy0.jpg
stock-photo-hay-background-as-a-front-view-of-a-bale-of-hay-as-an-agriculture-farm-and-farming-symbol-of-370840970_zpscubfhas0.jpg

Originally Posted By: dan brothersI may have to get into the minds of those Waterfowl Hunters if I want to do something grassy.

decoration-grass-blinds-and-beavertail-ghillie-grass-mat-blind-material-nylon-18_zpsv0rjkun2.jpg

images_zpsscvh6gpi.jpg
66043f14-d7e4-44be-b485-12e46ffc9b7b_400_zpshid5jxy0.jpg
stock-photo-hay-background-as-a-front-view-of-a-bale-of-hay-as-an-agriculture-farm-and-farming-symbol-of-370840970_zpscubfhas0.jpg

That grass never blends 100% with the surrounding terrain. Some of it can work OK for a base if its then covered with natural vegetation cut from the surrounding area. 9+ times out of 10 I use the boat for a transport vehicle and park it in the weeds away from us instead of hunting from it, if that tells you anything. Infact I don't have any grass on my boat anymore. I'm sure others on here can chime in and maybe my experience is more confined to the way I duck hunt.

Last edited:
I have thought A LOT about the reflection... and it just may be a problem...BUT... maybe not too big of a problem if I can keep the panels angled... but then again... that does sounds impossible.

I do wonder if they could only see a reflection... if... they were at the correct angle that it shined right back into their eyes. If it did have to shine into their eyes, then that would be a small portion of the time...and...even if it did shine or flash at them... would they turn tail into high gear... or continue trying to figure it out...?

This may be a crazier idea than the cow...LOL.

Back