>>>>>COW- MOO-BILE..... Constructed and Heading WEST...<<<<<

Originally Posted By: dan brothersI only have a tad of service where I'm at. I only shot one so far...650 yds with the 20-250 AI with Blackhole 55gr bullets. More info with pics are coming when I get to a better place in a day or so.

thanks....Dan

Ps...It's COLD HERE... I may be heading southward in the morning.

Nice shot. That's getting to be a ways out there. What is the velocity at that distance, and how did the bullet perform?

Well....after 26 hrs, in 2 1/2 days of driving, I finally arrived.

GEDC0779_zpscmkkzauj.jpg

She looked like this the first morning, but she started up and did her job.

GEDC0745_zpsgrev1wph.jpg

I decided to take the Geo for a test run that evening, and drove her up on top of a hilltop so I could watch both valleys and draws. I put her camo cover on so that she would not look sky lined so bad. It was kind of a test to see if she would become part of the hilltop or not. I guess she did, because it wasn't long when two coyotes came down into a crop pivot area about 1100 yds out. They weren't heading my way, so I blew on my secret hand call that sounded like a monkey raping a parrot...it's a sound they never heard before...LOL. They started my way, but I just watched them to see how close they would get before they recognized us perched upon the hilltop. They never did, so I decided to take one out at the fence line at about 300 yds.
I tracked one in the scope as it came under the fence and paused for the shot...POW went the 22-243 AI... and away went the coyote, heading for the hills. That was a uncommon sight to see a coyote escape Mr. Thunder. I pondered that screw up all night, but wrote it off to coyote fever...LOL.

GEDC0747_zpsxtsowxpf.jpg

GEDC0748_zps3gdzgefk.jpg

GEDC0751_zpsshfzaauf.jpg

Well... the next morning we were sneak-driving down the rancher's road, when a coyote ran out from some round bails at about 250 yds. I thought...I got you sucker. Aimed behind the shoulder...POW... miss...WHAT? It jumped up on the bail looking around in confusion...aimed again...POW again...MISSED AGAIN. At that point I knew it was something more than coyote fever. For the next few hours I just sneak-drove around looking, not really calling, just looking around while wondering what was going on with my shooting. Then it dawned on me. I was shooting high. I remembered a couple of bucks I killed at home that were both right at 250 yds, and they were both high hits, but DRT. After lunch at the Mother Ship, I got out the target to see what's going on with my 300 yd zero. Bam Bam Bam... just what I thought...4" high. Duh...Stupid... how could I drop the ball on the most important thing...Duh again.... well... at least I didn't make a ridiculous vote for Hillary like some of those Minnesota Boys did...LOL.
I dialed her in and made another hill top blind set that evening. Did some calling, but nothing was interested. I could hear them howling or laughing up in those hills, but they were staying tight until that full moon came up.

I sure did enjoy the versatility of being able to sneak hunt along from the Geo's shooting turret position, and then after the hunt simply take 3 mins to fold everything back on top and drive her like normal...it took less than 2 mins to unveil her for the hunt.

The next morning I put her costume on and put her in first gear and 4x4 low, and basically just steered her along as she cheeped along at 1-2 mph. Finally I saw a couple of yotes moving up the hillside, while looking at me in confusion. One stared too long and let me get a range of around 650 yds. I quickly dialed my turret to #14, aimed the 20-250 AI behind the shoulder...POW... Whoop -Flop -Spin around- while biting at it's back leg. It hobbled over the hill top, which I later found it for the knockout blow. It was right then that I knew something was wrong inside of Mr. Dan, because he had no excitement or thrill about his longest kill yet. Even as I stood over it, I didn't even want to begin a coyote wallpaper rug with pictures or even carry it back. I marked the spot in case I decided later to come back for it... but I didn't... I had lost my hunt. I knew I wasn't at full capacity of hunting fever when I left home, but I thought I'd get it later when I arrived... but it never did.

GEDC0758_zpsqsihy6bk.jpg

GEDC0749_zpsj26pna5h.jpg

Last year I was ecstatic with joy at being at that ranch in every way. It was kind of like the trill of my first kiss... but now it felt like I'd been married to her for 30 yrs.

I just tooled around the rest of the day wondering what I was going to do about getting up some hunting fever. I replayed that long shot and knew that I was not really into it...I called it the sloppy shot, because I was just dialing, aiming, and shooting, without even considering any wind drift or anything... just shooting. I could tell that I wasn't into the shot, so I don't really count it as my best shot. That one last year at 631 yds was my Best shot because I was really focused.

I just tooled around that evening and the next morning without much action, but I wasn't really trying either. I knew that they were up in the those hills and would have little chance of getting out of rifle range if I decided to roam around up there... but I just couldn't get it up... my want-to was gone... or maybe I never had it.

GEDC0752_zpszfsiy0re.jpg

GEDC0759_zpslnj3dehl.jpg

The coyotes had bawled out a sleeping spot in the side of this hay bail.

The cold weather and full moon at them hunkered down in those hills, so I just made a blind set that evening and waited for one to stir.
Finally a 300 yarder fell pray to the 22-243... but I didn't really care.

GEDC0762_zpslkadl1mb.jpg

GEDC0766_zpseylmiclm.jpg

GEDC0767_zpsfcvuzea4.jpg

I woke up early the next morning with only one desire... drive home. I argued with myself for a hour or so about just heading south towards KS or OK... but I could tell that my heart was just not into it... so I pulled out the Geo drive shaft, hooked her up, and headed East.

My new plan is to hunt a couple of weeks in OK and TX with a friend during Jan.

GEDC0771_zpsvqda2k1p.jpg

GEDC0770_zpsl2inplz0.jpg
GEDC0768_zpspzd1nsjv.jpg

Ms. Geo was a success in my opinion. Even the Rancher was really impressed that I could drive it around from it's turret position. He had to look her over from head to toe.
She did everything I expected her to do. I'm the one who let her down, because she was willing and able, but I wasn't. If she hadn't worked...I'd just say so. I have no pride left after the Cow thing. I knew that if I would wait a few days for a heavy snow, then those coyotes would be at my mercy if I would simply roam those hills with Ms. Geo's snow cover on... but I didn't care. So... I let her down... and you Guys as well... because of not having any good stories this year.

This year I have more pics than good stories.

Some inside pics...
GEDC0778_zpscf9vnuw3.jpg

GEDC0777_zpscyxlhfqo.jpg
GEDC0755_zpsh58mvn8f.jpg
GEDC0754_zpsdbbmnh0l.jpg

And here I am now after two days of hard driving.

GEDC0781_zpshmh64vdr.jpg

Last edited:
Oh yes... Nice Rig Tom...how will you trade...LOL.

Merdit... not sure what to say about bullet performance with a leg shot. But I used the same rifle to kill that one last year at 631 yds... and it was DRT. So... I'm sure this one would have been DRT if I had hit it correctly...my Bad...LOL.

Last edited:
Impressed with your attention to detail, like the bino camo & turret steering.
Thanks for all the pics too, keep on inspiring us Dan, please..

"monkey raping a parrot".......I have to admit, I've heard some things before, but not that one! Hahahaha

Dan, I may have spoke badly about the original "cow" idea. Frankly I don't recall.
If I did, I apologize.

How your work on her turned out this time around, I'm really impressed.
I'm sad to hear that your heart wasn't in the hunt this time, though.
You put a lot of time & effort into everything.
I sincerely hope that you get your "drive" back.

It was good to see you Dan. I'm glad you stopped in to say hello. I hope you are just in a funk and will snap out of it soon! I am glad that the Geo worked like you had envisioned. Maybe a new AR will light that fire under ya!!

LOL... no need to apologize canislatrans54 for anything. I thought the cow thing might work, but I ended up being the only cow out there during that time.... and.... looking back at it...it was kinda STUPID...LOL.

Let me know if you want to patent that New Sound...LOL

This camo thing worked a whole lot better as the coyotes that saw me moving, did get up and move away, but it didn't blow them away...which gave me opportunities to respond. I thought it shined the best by simply moving into position as a calling blind situation. I didn't call much at all, but i could see where it would really pay off using it this way... especially if I had the Ecaller out 100 yds.

What bothers me the most is the fact that I got something to work, and the yotes were there for the taking... and I couldn't get it up. But they haven't seen the last of me...that's for sure.

PS... a New AR...? I might be better off trying to get the black cow thing going again...LOL

Last edited:
Dan, Was the rifle off or did you have it dialed up to start with ?
I'm puzzled how you could spend all that time and money esp the gas to get there and then give up and come home ? The gas bill alone would have been more than enough for me to stay. Everybody is differant I guess....

Maybe next time... GOOD LUCK !
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: dan brothers I couldn't get it up.

that is a little personal but you have my condolences. have heard there is a pill that might help. good luck.

PS... a New AR...? I might be better off trying to get the black cow thing going again...LOL

I don't see you shooting a black gun all the times I have offered you stated you were never interested

Thanks for taking us along, I enjoyed the read and loved the pics. You are a clever man, and I thought your Geo rig looked really good.

Looks like you have the Geo dialed in, Dan. Thanks for sharing your pictures; hope you get the urge to give that GEO a trial run again real soon. Shame the terrain was not just a bit hillier (if that's a word). Bet easing up just enough to keep the vehicle in defilade with just the "turret" clearing the crest, then glassing some would really pay off.

Oh, by the way, I think I figured out why you missed those first coyotes.....the bolt is on the wrong side of that rifle!
wink.gif
smile.gif

Regards,
hm

I understand Dan. Been one of those years for me too. I joined 2 hunting leases and never even put a stand on the second one. I have seen 1 shooter buck and over shot him. I knew the hold was high for 200 and squeezed the trigger anyway. When I pulled ugly betty back on him, he was standing there with his nose in the air trying to get the wind. I just gathered my stuff and climbed down. He was still in the shooting lane when I turned and walked away.

Glad you're home safe. Gods blessings, and Merry Christmas

Originally Posted By: Hibs How many times you had to pull that sidearm to fend off a rabid yote? Your pics are like a try out for SF wanna-be's... lol... nice rig though

Only 7 times...
tt2.gif

Dan, thanks for sharing this adventure. I like many checked for your updates. Glad you were successful. I hope you enjoy more adventures. I for one admire your enterprising spirit. God bless and best wishes.

Thanks for sharing. Two stories , one that didn't work like you hoped and one that worked quite well. Sometimes when a dream comes true then the dreaming is over and it is just shooting. A challenge keeps one young and gives reason and excitement to life and when the challenge is met , now what? I think you got the "now what" out there in the hills. It wasn't getting the coyotes it was fooling the coyotes.....mission accomplished and now......? You don't know it yet but all of your ideas will be mulled over and some parts copied and use my many , many hunters to their success and fulfillment. Maybe being the guide for a friend or some newbie will be your fulfillment . I think you pretty much perfected your stealth Geo technique to perfection . I am very impressed and liked the idea of the cow mobile but the Geo just didn't have the same flash and awe . So what. You still did it and it is more that most can say for trying an idea to completion . Jim

Several times during Nov, my wife asked me if I was really going... and I kept saying... Sure...I have to go test out the Geo. I usually leave in Nov, but drug my feet along until I had to make the decision to do it or get off the pot. I knew that within myself I was only hitting on 5-7 cylinders... not like the Overbore 8 Cylinders I was on last Nov. But that fact was not really a FACT to me, until I shot that one at 650... with no joy or excitement at all. My biggest struggles came when I knew the Geo was doing all I ask of her... and it was a simple turn of the wheel that would allow us to crawl around up in those hills and get those doggies... but I just didn't care. I knew that if I stayed there even one full week... I'd shoot some numbers. Those numbers would double if I ever got into Night Hunting... maybe that's something I'm missing...Hmmm...

I know that I have a habit of finding a good deer hunting spot for a tree stand, and once it proves good... I start looking for another spot.

I started to take off to another state...almost headed for Utah, but didn't have enough gumption.

I do believe that I am now doing the... Now What?

I guess it's like some guys building a rifle and making it shoot bullet holes... then they say... Now What? They usually start on another rifle project.

Maybe I'll get on a ship and head to Australia and shoot Dingos like Quigley meant to do.

Back