>>>>>COW- MOO-BILE..... Constructed and Heading WEST...<<<<<

Wellll.... I guess I'll show you some more Crazy Dan Stuff...LOL.

I found out on my last trip out West that i wanted to be able to turn my turrets quicker for the range that the rangefinder gave me with a little more precision than trying to convert yardage to moa in a hurry. I wanted to know what yardage was at each moa click.

Viper HS LR 6-24x50 FFP XLR (MOA) Reticle

I have this same scope on both rifles, but they have 1/2" MOA clicks, which is more than I really wanted, but I found a way to make them work better for me.

I went to Vortex's Ballistic Program, which is Great, and easy for me to work with. After installing my ballistic stuff, with a 300 yd zero, I then had it show me the yardage in 1 yd increments... not the normal 50 or 100 yds stuff. Only 1 yd increments out to 1000 yds. The chart showed exactly what yardage was aligned with each click. I went down the chart and copied and pasted each yardage with it's click number, on a document page, which I later printed off.

I know your probably confused by now...LOL.

This is my cheat sheet that I made up for my 20-250.

The yellow numbers on the left are the yardage... then the click number... then the amount of bullet rise or fall between the two clicks... then the number of wind drift in inches at 10 mph at 3 oclock...then the amount of 1/4 moa turret clicks (windage turrets are 1/4, not 1/2).

Example...

500 yds = just happened to fall dead on click #7. That wind speed and direction would result in a 16" drift, which you can use Kentucky Windage or turn windage turret over 12 clicks = 3 moa.

Now if the coyote is at 511 yds, then I would have to decide if I wanted to use drop clks #7 or #8. The number in the white is the amount of inches of drop there is between those two clks, which is 4" at that yardage. I can use #7 and know that the bullet will drop 2", or use #8 and let it rise up 2". Either way, it should spill blood.

GEDC0615_zpskcrjvon3.jpg

I then went to Custom Turret Label.Com, and designed a custom label that would number each turret click. These scopes have 24 moa turrets, so i needed 48 clks numbered. Had to use two lines to make it happen.

You get 4 labels for 25.00, and I could use two labels on both rifle scopes.

1dfcb07c683107f038d8c886145d097e_zpshupcaxlu.png

GEDC0589_zpsvpm0umkv.jpg

I tested this system out last week when I was sighting in my new scope for the 20 cal, and it worked like a Champ. I only tried it out to 550 yds, but it nailed the 6" log lying out there.

Now all I have to do is range the critter... find the click # on my sheet... dial and shoot...while at the same time, I'll know in my mind the amount of gap in inches for rise or fall... and it will help if the critter moves closer or further away from me while trying to get off a shot.

So there you have it... Dan Brothers totally exposes himself... he is either Crazy like a Fox... or like a Nut House...LOL.

I know you Guys are thinking my cheat sheet is crazy, because the weather and altitude will change all the time...well... that was the first thing that I thought of while developing this thing.

I built a chart with my weather and altitude conditions, and also out there where I'm going. I made several test charts over the last two months, and found out that the drop difference was surprisingly minimal.

Example... 20-250 caliber, drop in inches, at 500 yds.. with today's SC weather, drop is = 18.51 inches.......with their weather today = 17.95 inches... and their altitude is 2000 ft higher than mine.

I made my cheat sheet for their conditions anyways. Is it perfect and precise enough to hit a fly at 500 yds...NO... but it's close enough to stay in the vitals of Mr. Critter... and if need be, I can always adjust the turret-lock position a tad and still use that cheat sheet... or just keep in mind that each click will be a tad higher or lower.

Right now, while typing this, with today's weather conditions... at 600 yds... SC =37.10" of drop VS Their conditons = 35.20" of drop.

That's really close to 2 inches difference... which I would keep in mind if I used this same cheat sheet in SC.

PS... I have to go on one more trip before Mr. Ford Van turns back into a work van, instead of a coyote hunting motel.

get-attachment_zpsnqmos2pp.jpg

Last edited:
I just got three more cone washers yesterday from Roadless Gear... for those hubs you sent me...so I'm good to go now... thanks again for those hubs.... I owe you ONE.

I think you'll find angle will affect ya way more than just elevation, Dan, but you may be hunting fairly flat terrain. If not might want to check this out:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...sl_303991dn1u_e

If we don't hear from you every few days, we'll send out a search party to make sure you and your ride didn't wind up on someone's barbeque pit.
w00t.gif
Watch yer 6.
grin.gif

Regards,
hm

Watch your 6...LOL... I'm always watching my 6...
w00t.gif

But it is always good to have a reminder... especially when there are Horny Bulls in the area.

Good reminder on the dangle of the angle HM1996.

Most of the terrain is flat with rolling hills, angle shouldn't be a problem... BUT... there is one place along a river that the slope in pretty steep downhill, so I made up this fancy angle indicator for that area just encase I hunt off that bluff.

I have some side notes written down on my sheet for that problem. We'll see what happens. Thanks for the Reminder.

GEDC0616_zpse2gs8aoa.jpg

PS... I was just looked at my shot angle sheet, and the bullet drop is very little.

400 yds... 40 degree angle = 1.7 inch drop difference from level.
450 yds... 40 degree is 3.0 inches.
500 yds... is 4.5 inches.

I hadn't really look at it until HM mentioned it... there's like no drop up to 400 yds... so I should be good, because the spot I'm thinking of would produce shots less than 400 yds anyways.

We'll see what happens...thanks again...

Last edited:
Well Guys... it looks like I'm really going to do it.

I'm leaving here today after I get home from Church, and grab a piece of chicken.

If you see Holstein Harriet on the highway... give her a shout... I'll pull over and give you a ride... Predator Master Members are FREE... all Non-Members cost $1.00.
w00t.gif

GEDC0618_zpsww4ee2y9.jpg

GEDC0621_zpsodqumo7p.jpg

GEDC0619_zpscfd01wxt.jpg

Well I made it out here yesterday afternoon... nothing like a 1600 mile trip to make your tail drag a little bit. The wind was to fierce to hunt yesterday, and today is even worse. The winds the rest of this week should be better, so I hope to unhook Harriet for her test run. She says that roaming the hills on windy days are okay for her, but 40 mph winds might make her shake to much for a good steady shot.

She did fine all the way out here, but she did cost me 2-3 miles per gallon. But getting 12-13 mpg will be worth it if she preforms like she says she will... and it's nice that gas is $1.37-1.59 per gallon on the average.

Anytime I wondered how she was doing, I would just glance up into the rear view mirror and watch her happy ears flapping along.... but she still has that silly grin on her face all the time.

Hang in there with me Guys...maybe I'll have some pictures and better new tomorrow.

Thats funny Dan, glad you two made it west again. What I am wondering and it makes me chuckle, are the looks you got from other drivers along that 1,600 mile trip!

Oh, you better have that 22-243 with you!

I did have alot of strange looks on the way out here... saw some mouths moving that didn't look good either...LOL.

You know that I wouldn't leave the Judge at home... the only rifles that came on this trip was the 22-243 and the 20-250... if they can't do it, then nothing else I have can do it either.

Yesterday was my first blood searching day, it started out good as Harriet crawled around those hills like she was made for it. We only saw two coyotes at 869 yds, and heading away. About two hours before dark, when it was going to get good, she lost her clutch on top of a hill...bummer. I walked the mile back to the white mother ship, and drove it up into those hills and hooked her back up... after relocating her... that is... what a deal that was...LOL.

Anyways... after towing her back to town and spending the night, I internet-ed the problem and found out that the clutch cable stretched out, so I killed this day, waiting on tomorrow for a new cable to come in to a local dealer... which will put me back into action Saturday evening ...hopefully.

I'll take a break on Sunday, and should be back at it on Monday ...Lord willing.

Her back side got all dusty from the roads.

GEDC0626_zps60vm57eb.jpg

This is her first look at new country.

GEDC0622_zpsifdi92zu.jpg

She did run over her own hide and tear the front of her dress off... and loose her head over it.

GEDC0624_zpspabklr0n.jpg

30 mins of new velcro and tape had her looking like new again.

Hope you get the clutch back to working and sling some lead down range soon. Pee Dee is flooding again for the umpteenth time in the last six months back here. Shoot sompin will ya?

poor harriet. she is to low slung for the terrain. probably left her udder hanging on a yucca somewhere.

maybe a rolling hay stack would of been udderly better.

The coyotes that saw us did not respond the way I expected them too. Not sure if Harriet was too bold and ugly... or because of too much activity with hunters, contest, and snowmobiles chasing them. I'm going to blame it on her, but she blames it on me... you can't win with a woman...LOL.

I could stay and hunt, but the disappointment took the wind out of my sails, so I'm heading home.

This will be my longest trip home ever. Gotta get back to the drawing board.

Even if she looks like a vehicle, those coyotes sure did respond more spooked, than last time i was here.

Sorry Guys... I let some of you down... surely there will be more to this story in the future...I just gotta get pay back.

LOL... the joke is on me, I guess....LOL.

Dan, one thing to consider, as far as color of the "cow mobile", perhaps a different color is the answer.

In testing of coyote response to colors in government tests, specifically M-44 coyote getters, it was found that black is most noticed color by coyotes.

These tests were conducted at the coyote research center in Logan Utah.

FWIW

Back