>>>>>COW- MOO-BILE..... Constructed and Heading WEST...<<<<<

Very generous of you Grant
thumbup1.gif

I pretended shooting out of it today with my bucket seat, rifle, and Caldwell bag, and it's solid and comfortable. I can swivel and shoot in all directions, because I left the sheet of plywood in it's 4x8 ft size, so there would be plenty of extra shooting platform to rest everything.

The best part is the ability to rest my elbows on top to steady the rear of the rifle.

I'm good on the legal part, but thanks for the reminder.

I can't see your pics here at work, but I will look. I am not overly familiar with the tracker, but I had a few suzuki samurais and they are the handiest things around. The geo is pretty similar in size and function. I found that with a short wide tire (like 29-31" tall and 10-11" wide they will go anywhere.

Where am I going..? ...Hmmm... probably back to the same place where the Buffalos use to roam.

That's interesting about the short wide tires. My back up plan is to add v-bar chains if need be.

Even if I had this vehicle in a state where it wasn't legal... then it would still serve as a mobile scouting glassing blind. Once a furry target is spotted, simply step out and go prone for the shot.

I enjoyed my last trip so much with the spotting and stalking technique, that I ruined myself from hunting the normal way.

Calling will still have it's place, but I mostly want to poke along through cattle country hills and valleys.

A lot of glassing will be involved, along with some minor calling now and then to arouse those coyotes that may be hiding or napping. I'm thinking that the cow thing will allow me to be spotted by these furry targets, without causing them flight, or panic to their poor little innocent selves.

While they're gazing at this Goliath Black Cow, I hope to have the time to range, adjust turrets, dope the wind, scratch my butt... I mean my head, settle into position, and take the shot.

It's the same process I did last time, but without all the long walking treks, back and forth, up and down, in and out, while wearing myself out, and enduring bad weather.

Thanks for the tips and suggestions Guys...

Jesus Bless You...

Dan

Dan, I owned the same SUV before chevy started selling them as Geo's. Suzuki Sikekick, 4 door, 4x4, hardtop. It put 250,000 miles on it before buying my silverado & selling it. It was a solid vehicle, very dependable.

Once you replace worn parts on that one, it should last a long time.

The over hang of plywood on the front is going to catch a heck of lot of wind. I would be surprised if you can keep it attached.
You might want to consider trimming it to the size of the roof. Not really any function to the extra anyway.

Good point on the overhang, but I'm thinking it will serve enough purposes to leave it long, which was my original plan.

I believe it will help with window glare, while creating some shadow to the window area.

The platform is overhanging on all four sides as much as possible, because the black cow cover that drapes over the entire vehicle, will have a overhanging ledge to be bungeed up under.

I know it's hard to imagine that when you haven't seen it yet, but it's coming.

When it's in hunting use, I simply un-bungee the four sides and it rolls down. When not in use, it all rolls back up into a tucked away place. That front area will have the largest amount of material, which will help prevent wind from getting up under the platform... but I'll also seal off that area for when the cover is down.

I plan on bolting down the platform through the roof with some serious bolts and washers. It shouldn't come off... and I don't plan on driving it very fast during hunting situations anyways, and during other times, it should be sitting backwards on the tow dolly behind the van.

But thanks for your observation...

Here are a few pictures of covering the platform with a heavy duty silver plastic tarp first, and then gluing the black felt on.

GEDC0559_zpsw7yzd0vn.jpg

GEDC0558_zpsghtd92qd.jpg

GEDC0560_zpsldy3mknt.jpg

GEDC0561_zps79pj3slc.jpg

Then I made a lid that is wider than the hole... covered it as well, and then installed a pivot bolt in one end so that it will spin around out of the way when needed. I attached a couple of small straps on top to help in spinning it back around.

A bolt and wing nut is used to tighten it down at the other end when traveling.

I'll add a waterproof weather strip around the door lid later, even though it seems tightly sealed as it is.

GEDC0562_zps4quzm8sg.jpg

GEDC0563_zpslu73j6md.jpg

GEDC0564_zpsnmmdvcnk.jpg

Sorry for all the pics... I just get carried away sometimes... LOL

That's good that you like pictures, because I have a few more.

This is the day that we squared up and leveled the platform... before the spray can paint job.

I say we, because my wife has been right in the middle of it helping all the time.

GEDC0519_zpsmmqquxnx.jpg

GEDC0518_zpsmw8mdad4.jpg

what breed cow is this rig going to be? hereford, angus, holstein. with you sticking out the top maybe a brahma. hang a big set of steer horns on the grill and go for the longhorn look.
do not make it look to female*ish* just in case there is some big bulls in those pastures.

New Breed...? That's Funny...LOL

It defiantly is a new breed of some kind, but not sure what at the moment, but probably in the Brahma bloodline...maybe a Geo Brahma Mamma.

Here's a few pics of getting fitted for it's new suit of clothes.

We first glued the felt down to the 12x19 ft tarp, which took a lot of felt... good thing it was on sale for 2.00 per yd.

Then we threw it over Mr. Geo to see how it fit him. Just like all Rednecks... too short in some areas and too long in others. But a good tailor with a woman's touch can make him look better.

Monday we'll start fitting him more properly. Yesterday was just a dress rehearsal.

We put double stick carpet glue around the doors so they can be opened. Velcro will be used around windows so that they can be rolled down. Can't drive around in the belly of this whale without seeing out...might end up on a beach somewhere...LOL.

GEDC0509_zpsxyziwn5n.jpg

GEDC0511_zpsxcnhbkei.jpg

GEDC0565_zpss3giigfv.jpg

GEDC0566_zpsnt6hbjok.jpg

GEDC0567_zpsv6kh4nm3.jpg

GEDC0569_zpsic81c4ed.jpg

should save a lot on ammo cost. coyotes going to be laughing to death all over the grasslands. you will need something to put them all in. maybe make a calf trailer to tag along behind the cow?
tt2.gif

Back