Baiting

Hey guys! Do y'all have any tips on baiting? I'm from Alabama and not many people bait down here. I've heard of deer guts, but of course it's not deer season. I've also heard of cat food with grease poured over it. If y'all have any tips please let me know!

Welcome to the forums YoteHunter.

There's a lot of reading on this baiting forum, but I suggest you start at the beginning and work your way through little by little. You will find many good ideas and information. It will take you a while to get through it all, but you will definitely come away better educated.

In a nutshell, seems we all have various ways of baiting, and use a variety of bait as well. For me, I mainly use table meat scraps, old discarded freezer food (meat) that's been there too long, road-killed deer etc. I cut the pieces up into small, 2" chunks or so, and generally only put out a few pieces of bait at a time, maybe 8 or 10 pieces, just enough to keep the coyotes coming. You can go through a lot of bait in short order, and for me at least, obtaining bait is an on-going process. That's one reason I only put out small portions at a time. I have used a whole carcas before but generally don't. Seems that attracts buzzards, crows, ravens etc too much. However, I did have a whole calf out this past winter, and had some good success with it. Be sure to check into your baiting laws.

If you live close to the bait site, you can check the trail cameras daily to see what might be hitting the bait, and replenish bait as needed. That's the best way.

What part of Alabama are you from? I have an Aunt and cousin in Selma.

Looking forward to your posts and success photos.

Welcome AYH, reading through will definitely be worth your time. Many questions you have will probably be answered in the thread. But as an example and depending on the season, there isn't too much that a coyote won't eat. That list includes all kinds of fruits and vegetables as well as meat, fish, canned or dried dog or cat food. They'll eat such things as potato salad, watermelon, even tomatoes. Of course during winter season they need more protein, but generally they won't turn down much.

Are you baiting where you can shoot from your house? If so, you'll need some type of alarm system. Trail cameras are almost a "must have" as well.

Last edited:
Thanks! I'm baiting at my hunting club. I won't be close enough to the bait. What I plan on doing is just putting out some type of bait to get them coming to an area. And I will have a game camera watching over the bait. I just need something to keep them coming to the area.

Welcome, I have a friend in Walker County who buys busted bags of cheap dog food at his local grocery store, usually marked down less than half price. He's putting out about a quart at a time. He says he has had good luck getting their time down with a game camera. I'd rather call them up for the fun of it but if you just want rid of them that may work for you.

I drew first blood on this one tonight with the new CZ 17 Rem Varmint. Shot him at 145 yds with a 25 gr. Hornady hp at 3,950. DRT

Corey, I shot just above the shoulder elbow, but I could not find the entry and there was no blood on him. I would have needed to skin the coyote to find the entry for sure and he was bad tick infested. He never even twitched when that little bullet hit him, just DRT. It was a 145 yd shot. I was shooting Varget at 24.1 grs. Thanks and I think David is off with his Mother today taking care of a car problem she has.

Thanks DoubleUp. I have a little over 400 of those Hornady HP's I got in a package deal and haven't put them on anything but paper yet. I'm running mine a lot slower than you though due to my short barrel. Mine average just over 3500fps. Sounds like they should be decent on fur as well when my Berger Target HP's run out.

You lucky Rascal!!! That was a luck shot!!

LOL. Just kidding. Man, that's great DoubleUp.

Yea, I've been gone most of the day, so just now saw the good news.

I just hope my new toy shoots as good as yours. I've yet to fire it, but I'll remedy that soon enough.

Nice going.

Alabama, there's tons of information on the forums about the .17 HMR. You might try a search or go a few pages back in the predator hunting section, and maybe the firearms section. There's a lot of talk about the HMR.

But, just a quick note about a consensus - the HMR isn't much of a predator hunting round, though it has dropped coyotes nonetheless. Personally, I would choose something with more power. Hope that helps.

6mm06, you're probably right. 145 yd shot in the dark isn't all that easy, so must have been a high degree of luck involved there. I reckon it's still better to be lucky than good.

I did enjoy taking him with the new 17 I must admit, but I reckon I was just surprised at how efficiently that little bullet killed him.

Well, lucky or just plain good, you put the whammy on that yote. You're on a roll. Maybe coyote Ugly will return soon and you'll get another opportunity.

A shot in the dark at 145 yards takes some doing.

I haven't posted in a while buuut I have a question in the summer till I can get the meat scraps on my bait sites when using dry dog food how do you use the dog food do you through it around or leave in a pile ????

Hi everyone,this is my Frist Post on here. Some Great Stuff on here. I'm new to Predator Hunting. I have had two Strokes and a heart attack,but doing much better now. I'm a Retired Deputy Sheriff,was hurt three times while on Duty so I have a lot of Back Trouble so I can't walk very far. I brough me a FoxPro Firestrom and a Double Bull Blind. Hope to call me in some Bobcats and some yotes maybe a Buck or Two this Winter. Hope everyone has a GREAT YEAR HUNTING. GOD BLESS YOU ALL.

Welcome Boo, and glad you're still around
smile.gif
. I'm sure everyone here is appreciative of your service as a Deputy.

It looks like you'll have lots of fun with your new gear. Keep us posted on your progress and we like pictures.

God Bless and heal you from the top of your head to the souls of your feet and everywhere in between in the name of Jesus, Amen!

Back