Baiting

Boo,

Welcome to the forums. You are right about there being some great stuff on this post.

Sorry to hear about all the health issues, but hopefully you'll be out and about this fall, enjoying.

Be sure to keep us posted. Everyone likes photos too.

God bless.

Some coyotes avoid bait. My nightscopes and cameras show that some walk around the bait pile, avoid dead deer, sheep and calf carcasses and go by it all to get into the field to hunt mice. I have good luck putting out butcher scraps for the FOX. I never hunt the fox. He is the bait for the coyote; watch him and he'll point in the direction the coyote is coming from...until he runs for it. Coons will get into the bait too. The birds and coons drag pieces of bait off to the woods. Some coyotes eat that stuff and never come out in the open, except to chase deer or foxes. So I make my bait either real big and wire it down, or better yet cut it up into 1 inch chunks and scatter it so the coyote has to stay in the scope for a while. But that is a lot of work and the birds will clean it up at sunrise.
In my fields - feed the fox and the coyote will often come looking for him.

Thanks everyone for the welcome. Lighting got my Computer about 3 weeks ago haven't been able to Post any more. Had to send my Foxpro Back it kept draining my Batt. after only about two or three min..

Lightening got a brand new TV of mine several years ago. Stuff happens and is hard to swallow. I couldn't imagine being without a computer now. I spent most of my life without one, and now can't live without it.

Hopefully the Foxpro issue will be cleared up soon and you'll be out calling and slaying predators. Keep us posted.

Never know what will "getcha". I had my bait pile sensor on a gum tree on my "pond dam". Long story but the pond was dry. We had a big rain come and filled the pond in a few hours. Next day a beaver moved in and started eating the trees that had grown up around my pond while it was dry. He cut down the tree with my sensor and drug it into the pond. I found it, but it was ruined. Beaver got me. He better watch it or he will be on the bait pile.

Originally Posted By: 291shadowSome coyotes avoid bait. My nightscopes and cameras show that some walk around the bait pile, avoid dead deer, sheep and calf carcasses and go by it all to get into the field to hunt mice. I have good luck putting out butcher scraps for the FOX. I never hunt the fox. He is the bait for the coyote; watch him and he'll point in the direction the coyote is coming from...until he runs for it. Coons will get into the bait too. The birds and coons drag pieces of bait off to the woods. Some coyotes eat that stuff and never come out in the open, except to chase deer or foxes. So I make my bait either real big and wire it down, or better yet cut it up into 1 inch chunks and scatter it so the coyote has to stay in the scope for a while. But that is a lot of work and the birds will clean it up at sunrise.
In my fields - feed the fox and the coyote will often come looking for him.

This is common for me after a couple of kills....so I move the bait pile in the same field or change bait. I like the piles on the edges. Sometimes I just leave a scent to just get the to stop And trigger camera. I dont llike nothing living at my piles. Reason...saves time on replenishing bait less camera triggers and I stake the bait...I cant stand it when they run in the woods and eat. But this is what works for me. Also I find that the foxes in my area have actually have been learning to survive by coming out earlier than the coyotes .

Hey guys, I am back and ready to do some predator shooting this year. My wife has been in and out of the hospital for over a year now and I just didn't have the interest/heart to do much hunting. She's doing much better now and i'm getting ready to start baiting. Has this thread caught on or what?

Jim (Cougar Jim)

Hey Jim,

Man everyone has wondered what happened to you. Good to have you back. You started a great post that has turned into something of interest to so many. There are so many interesting posts on this thread, lots of ideas and discussions. Seems baiting is a bigger subject than many first thought.

Welcome back, and we are all anxious to hear your hunting stories and successes this year. Glad your wife is doing better.

David

Welcome back Jim, and glad your wife is improving. I know you must be happy to see the thread you started has continued all this time. We sure have missed your posts and input. Blessings to you and yours!

Great to have you back Jim, and glad to hear your wife is doing better. We've all missed your interesting posts and look forward to reading your hunting stories this coming year.

Thanks guys I am glad to be back. I bought me another 223.
This one is a Savage Axis XP. If I can find Amo for it. What the hey is going on with the amo supply?

Jim

Originally Posted By: Cougar JimThanks guys I am glad to be back. I bought me another 223.
This one is a Savage Axis XP. If I can find Amo for it. What the hey is going on with the amo supply?

Jim

The ammo situation is crazy right now with all the hoarders and gougers. It took me 2 weeks to find ammo for my new Savage B-mag .17 Winchester Super Magnum which is gonna be my new baiting rifle.Your best bet is to roll your own if you can. And even then it is becoming tough to find all the components you need.

The ammo situation is crazy right now with all the hoarders and gougers. It took me 2 weeks to find ammo for my new Savage B-mag .17 Winchester Super Magnum which is gonna be my new baiting rifle.Your best bet is to roll your own if you can. And even then it is becoming tough to find all the components you need.

Yeah I heard something about the government buying up millions of rounds. Probably another attempt at gun control.

Jim

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Hey Jim,

Man everyone has wondered what happened to you. Good to have you back. You started a great post that has turned into something of interest to so many. There are so many interesting posts on this thread, lots of ideas and discussions. Seems baiting is a bigger subject than many first thought.

Welcome back, and we are all anxious to hear your hunting stories and successes this year. Glad your wife is doing better.

David

Hey David I am glad you are still around to film the Cougar eating my A**. LOL

Jim

I posted this in the general forum and should have posted here:

Hello the forum. I live in NW Florida near Pensacola. I am not new to hunting but I am a 100% Rookie when it comes to coyotes. I live in the edge of Blackwater State Forest and we have lots of coyotes. About 2 months ago 4 coyotes caught my little 10 year old chihuahua. They took her with them and I am sure ate her. That is when I become a coyote hunter. I have the equipment....Primos Alpha Dogg, Sit N Spin and 22-250 and a 243. I have not yet seen a coyote. I know I have plenty of equipment but way short on know-how. I borrowed an ND-3 laser and hunted at night. Still no good. I am baiting a place near my front porch and my game camera takes pictures every night of a coyote eating my bait. It comes between 10PM and 4AM. About a week ago I sat in my blind from 10 to 4....guess what? The yote showed at 4:15 AM. Am I frustrated? Yeah buddy. The wind are in my face just about every time I hunt. The blind is 120 yards from the bait area. It is an Ameristep Backstrap Hub Blind. My problem with night hunting is it wipes me out the next day. 67 and loving retirement.

Sorry for the long post but I need a lot constructive criticism.
Jerry Dotson

Hey Jerry,

Welcome to the forums and to this baiting thread. There's a wealth of information in this thread, but it may take you a week to read it all. I would suggest that little by little you dig in and begin reading. I am sure you will find information that you can use or modify to suit your needs.

But, a quick answer to your problem - it's the same problem I had earlier and probably the same for a lot of other guys who bait, and that is the coyotes don't show when you are ready to hunt. As well, there's the long waits and tiring, sleepless nights if you try to sit up all night and wait. What most of us do is use sensors that will alert us when a coyote (or something) is at the bait site.

DoubleUp and I use the Driveway Patrol system and have had great results with it. It's cheap. I purchased mine through Ebay from a Florida vendor for something like $16.00. The sensors are wireless and operate on batteries. I use three sensors at a site, placed at various angles. That way nothing gets through without being detected. My sensors work on the same frequency, so I can use multiple transmitters at the bait site, and only one receiver back in the cabin. I hunt from a small storage building turned into a hunting cabin, insulated and warm, complete with a comfortable bed.

Since you hunt from a blind, you will need to modify the Driveway Patrol receiver to keep the alarm sound down. Go inside and clip the speaker wire, then run the wire to the outside by drilling a small hole in the front cover. Attach a 3.5mm female adapter that will allow you to connect a headphone or earbud. Warning however, the sound coming through is ear piercing, so you need to get a volume control device that goes between the receiver and the earbud (also found on Ebay and cheap). That way you can rest in your bunk or even your bed at home, and be alerted when something shows up at the bait site.

If you shoot from the window of your house, you don't need the modification to the receiver, but you may wake the Ms. during the night when it goes off. It's loud.

I'll try to find other posts in this thread pertaining to that and will attach it here later - if I can wade through all the pages and find it.

Good luck with the coyote hunting. Hang in there with this method. It will produce.

UPDATE:

Jerry, here are a few pages to look at pertaining to the Driveway Patrol sensor.

Driveway Patrol
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...955&page=97

Bait Site Setup - Sensors
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...955&page=81

DoubleUp's explanation of how he modified the Driveway Patrol
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...955&page=75

Driveway Patrol Modification
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...955&page=74

Here's an example of just how well it works. I took these two coyotes the same night, using the Driveway Patrol to alert me, and a night vision scope.

Double coyotes in the snow with NV
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...55&page=105

The Driveway Patrol was modified for two different reasons:

(1) The antenna was added (DoubleUp's invention) to give added range from the sensor to the receiver.

(2) The 3.5mm jack was installed to eliminate the noise coming from the receiver speaker. That thing is loud when it sounds, enough to spook the heck out of a coyote if you hunt from a blind, or small cabin like I do.

I would suggest modifying for the headphone / earbud first, a rather simple procedure, and get the volume control device on Ebay. Give it a try at your site and see if it will work at the distance from your bait site to the blind or home. If it won't, then you need to add an antenna to give it range.

Once you get the sensors in place, then you can relax and have a good nap while waiting for Wiley to show up. When the earbud starts beeping, you will know something is at the site.

Back