Baiting

Welcome Jerry, 6mm06 has already given you some good info to get you going. It sounds like you might be able to shoot from your house. If so, the Driveway Patrol is your ticket. I am able to shoot from my office out across my back yard. It is about 145 yds to my bait site, and I have two of the modified sensors at the site. I can go about my business and when the alarm goes off, I am then able to go into the office and take the coyote. Since you will have two receivers, if you buy the Driveway Patrol units, you could modify both sets with antennas and then convert one set to the earbud or headphone method. That way you can go to bed and not wake up anyone else in the house (at least not until you shoot
smile.gif
). I am pretty sure at the range you described that you will have to put antennas on both the receivers and senders to get an adequate signal. I forgot to mention that I keep my bait site lighted with a spotlight bulb shining from my shop to the bait site. Doesn't bother the coyotes at all.

Good hunting to you. Paybacks are sweet.

Last edited:
Welcome Jerry,

Definitely listen to what 6mm06 and DoubleUp are saying. The Driveway Patrol setup works, and it works well. Plus it's darn cheap too. It has to be the lowest price piece of equipment that I use for hunting coyotes. Good luck with your revenge on them coyote's and keep us posted on your results.

Welcome and good luck Jerry, keep us posted. The coyotes come when they get ready. The driveway patrol 06 mentioned works really good, until a beaver cuts down the tree you have it on and drags the tree into the pond LOL. I need to order me another one.

Weekender, just order several while you are at it. You can't trust beaver. Get them on Ebay for $16.00 each postpaid.

Just a word of caution - I found out the hard way. Ants can get into the transmitters if left in the field. There is a small hole in the bottom of the transmitters, and ants got into two of mine, built a big nest and called it home. It was a mess inside. Now neither sensor will work. So, I had to order more, this time I got three new ones. My original one (DoubleUp modified) is OK, so now I have four.

I always use multiple sensors at the bait site anyway, but will have an extra in case I need it somewhere else.

thanks 06, I will stop up the hole with some treated foam to keep the ants out. We have fire ants and they are nasty little buggers.

David,
Thanks for your personal effort to help me. I am in the process now of extending the antennas on my alert. It is a Harbor Freight one that looks just like the ones internally as you use. Probably the same people in China made them all! Will get back when I get a kill.
Jerry

Thanks DoubleUp for the advice that would be better than trying to shine with a light clamped on the rifle. I need to get a solar charger and a 12 volt battery and LED light for low drain. I appreciate all the encouragement. I am a rookie coyote hunter but very determined. I will post some pictures when I get my photobucket account.

Last edited:
NW, good luck on the hunting. Pretty sure you'll be popping them pretty quickly. I started out with revenge on my mind as well when they killed off my Canada geese that always raised little ones at my pond. So year before last I declared war on the coyotes. Managed to kill 16 that first year.

Problem was in my zeal I about killed them all off which initially I wanted to do. Then I decided that I really liked coyote hunting, and started calling them as well. Now I have to go other places because the ones around here haven't recovered to give much shooting over the bait pile. I only managed 3 last year which is quite a drop from 16. It is sort of a Catch 22 situation, no pun intended.
smile.gif

The coyotes get adjusted to the light shining on the bait pile pretty quickly. 6mm06 is an NV man and may drag me over there before it's all over if his new contraption works as well as it looks like it will.

I got the driveway alarm modified with long antennas and it is working great. 400 feet away now. This was my dog the coyotes got.
[img:left][/img]

This is the object I am trying to eliminate.
[img:left][/img]
I will be sleeping light tonight.
Jerry

Jerry, I'm really sorry to hear about your dog. Dogs aren't called man's best friend for nothing. They are like family to those of us who really love them.

Good luck with the new sensors and the coyote control. As DoubleUp mentioned, it may start out as revenge, but can quickly turn into a very enjoyable activity.

DoubleUp shot more coyotes that one season than I probably have taken in total. We have coyotes here, always some hanging around our farm. The problem is they are inconsistent and don't play by my rules, making for a very challenging effort. They generally hit the bait regularly this time of year, but seems when cool air comes with fall and winter, they get scarce. I don't know why. I shot one coyote at the end of August of last year, and didn't kill another one until this past spring.

As DoubleUp mentioned, I have been using a night vision scope, a Gen 1, but it has accounted for 6 coyotes thus far. This year I have a home-made night vision apparatus put together, so hope to give it a test very soon.

Keep us posted on your hunts. We all love photos too.

David

Jerry, I forgot to mention and don't know whether you are still shooting from the blind or now from the house, but in either case you'll need to take care not to spook the coyote with the alarm. In my house they can't hear the alarm go off, but if I open the window to shoot, I must turn the alarm off or take a chance they will trigger it right when I get ready to take a shot, "not good". I think the blind would require the earphone and volume control that we rigged for 6mm06.

Anyway will be looking for some dead coyote pictures shortly. Sorry about your little dog. I know that hurts.

Woo Hoo I got my first shot just now at 9.45 PM CDT.... and missed. I need to fine tune the rest of my equipment. I was using a LED Maglight 2d cells holding it in my left hand trying to get it on the yote and help hold the rifle. I was standing out in the front yard with no rest at all. The light is plenty bright but needs to be mounted under the barrel. I can hear you guys laughing now. That is OK. Made me feel a little better just to shoot at the critter. I had a ND3 green laser borrowed. I guess that will be the next purchase but think I will get the Laser Genetics ND3x50. My bait is 120 yards and the one I had borrowed would have worked but was getting dim at that distance. My alarm worked just fine. I have patience and perseverance.

Jerry, you might want to do some in depth research before buying the ND3x50. I would recommend you read some over in the Night Hunting section. Right now, if I were to buy a night hunting light I would get the Coyote Light or the adjustable Wicked Light. I have the Kill Light 250 and it is pretty good for under 100 yds. I have killed one at 145 with it, but it is not nearly in the class with the Coyote Light.

If you can get your outside light rigged to shine on the bait pile constantly that may be the better option for right now until you can decide what you need. 6mm06 is working on a low cost NV outfit that you put together at home for less than $500 and seems to be very adequate, but I'll let him explain that to you.

Congratulations on the almost. Remember that coyotes are very smart and it doesn't take them long to get educated. You'll get your payback of that I'm sure.

Congrats Jerry on the shot. Just chalk up the fact of missing to experience and shooting. It happens to everyone at times, so no one is laughing at your miss.

As you say, you were shooting offhand, which is not ideal. I don't think I could pull off a shot at 120 yards off hand either, especially in the dark.

Questions? Can you shoot from a window in your house, or do you have to use a blind? If you can shoot from your house, then you can definitely be more comfortable.

Also, do you have a shed nearer the bait site, or some means of attaching and aiming a light toward the bait site, something you can have burning nightly? If so, then the coyotes will get used to it and you will do well.

As DoubleUP eluded to, I'm working on a low-cost, home made night vision outfit and hope to test it on a coyote soon. It shows promise at the moment, but has cons as well as pros. If it works well for me, then I will post a good write-up about it. I won't recommend it if it doesn't work well. And, the cost is closer to $300 to put it together, and so far sees brighter than my dedicated Gen 1 scope.

Uncle Steve,

It's nothing elaborate, nothing fancy, not my idea either - I just followed directions that someone else had posted previously. But, it's been fun for sure, and kind-of amazing little deal that really works. I watched a raccoon at 30 yards recently that looked like it was in daytime. I could see practically every hair on it's back, in pitch dark.

Once I test it and give my "stamp of approval" for hunting purposes, I will then post the details and photos.

6mm-o6 Hi, I havn't been around all summer,wondering how your 17 is going.Ive been way to busy all summer although I did completly rebuild my reloading room.Its a work or art with a 2 foot by 11 ft. solid oak butcher block top with maple burl stands all coated in evirotex high gloss.Ill put up some pictures when I get time.Am catching up on the taxidermy with only 8 bears and 3 wolves and one silver fox left.Am hoping to hit the coyotes hard with hunting and trapping this fall.I picked blueberries all day yesterday with a 93 year old,unbelievable guy,he picked for 7 hours.oh well rambling so gota go.hope you like that 17 rem.as you know I love mine.

J.Mark,

Your reloading bench sounds too nice to work on. LOL. Be sure to post some photos. I'm anxious to see it.

You must have beat the bears to the blueberry patches if you had 7 hours worth of picking. That old guy must be a tough dude. My wife and I picked blackberries recently on the farm, but not many, just enough for her to make a couple of cobblers.

As to the .17, it's coming along. I was concerned for a while that I couldn't get decent accuracy, but when I changed powders to IMR-4320 it settled in and shot pretty good. I'm hoping it will drop some coyotes this fall / winter with those tiny Hornady 25 grainers. I plan to try the new .17 along with the home-made night vision apparatus and see how it goes.

DoubleUp and I purchased the same rifles from the same dealer about the same time. He has his tuned pretty good too and has already put it into service, dropping a coyote where it stood. Maybe he will chime in with some info.

Here's a recent target. The 23.8 gr. load had a wild flier to the left. That was the first shot from a cold barrel.
The other two rounds landed .440" apart. I'm hoping the flier was my fault and not the rifle's character.

And my better half and some of her blackberries. It was a rainy day, so the hoodie. We had
to be careful about copperheads in the thickets. I just about got on one behind the barn
recently, thing was agitated and came my way in a hurry. Luckily it turned and went the other
way. You should have been there to hear me squall. My son came within two feet or so of one
inside the barn just a few nights later while checking his tractor, and the berry patches are
known copperhead hideouts. But, those cobblers sure taste good.

Those berries are sure good for you.I went 90 miles or so north near ore mn. to pick the blue berries up in the granite country.It was worth it to just to pick with 93 year old roy.Not many people get to do that.He is quite a guy. My 17 rems shoot real well with imr 4895.4320 has a reputation for being very accurate,Ive used it for many years.I bet your wild shot was your fault.Your groups look pretty good.Dont forget the JB paste.

Back