Annual Groundhog tally for 2012

Happy Birthday Dog

I haven't been out for awhile working alot of OT and it's been raining but finaly managed to get out today I got these

17M2 20 yrds
2012-08-12_17-59-43_74.jpg

17M2 50yrds
2012-08-05_18-04-50_474.jpg

20br 209 yrds
2012-08-04_07-52-45_798.jpg

Was able to go out both days this past weekend. I'll post up Sunday's hunt in another post.

Got a late start on Saturday and I planned on meeting my buddy John around noon at a field where the alfalfa had just been cut. John was running behind so I trekked out in the field solo. Was not there more than 20 minutes when I spotted one grazing the wood line in the shade. Pinged him at 285 yds. Got set up behind the bi pod and put the cross hairs on his shoulder. Squeezed the trigger and heard the infamous "Whack" and knew he was history.

Got back up in my chair and wasn't there more than ten minutes when some movement slightly right of me caught my eye. I turned and saw a ghog making his way on the edge of a knoll about 20 yds. away. He didn't even notice me. I slowly walked over to where I last saw him and saw a den. Figured he would be back out so I watched for him. Sure enough after 10 minutes he was back out. Picked up the 204 and let him have it. Picked him up out of his hole and put him on his mound to mess with John.

After another 15 minutes, I see John pull up to the edge of the field and gather his things. All the time he is walking towards me I keep watching him to see if he sees the dead piggy. About 100 yds out I notice John stopping every few feet and looking at the dead hog through his binos. He keeps giving me hand gestures saying he sees something. I keep playing dumb. After about five times he realized it was already dead!. I was laughing the whole time.

Anyways he no more than gets comfortable and looks behind us and spots one standing 3/4 out of his hole.This one is 175 yds. He gets on him and touches one off. Wasn't sure if he connected or not. Didn't look like he did. We waited about 20 minutes and sure enough he was back out. John got on him once again determined to avenge his miss. Put the cross hairs on his head and let it rip. Knew instantly he connected. Upon retrieving his kill, I noticed he blew the mouth off the piggy.

We got back to glassing and was quiet for almost an hour. Finally John spots one in the shade on the far fence line enjoying some lunch. We range him at 385 yds. I told John to go for it but he said nah,you take him. Not being one to turn down a shot I got set up, put the mil dot on his head and let one rip. Again heard the "thump" and the little piggy fell lifeless. So far 5 shots and 4 dead hogs. Not too bad of a start.

Got back to glassing and after another 30 minutes I spotted one feeding about 280 yds. John was eager to try this one. He got ready and I told him to take the shot. Hit the hog a little back and it tried to get back into the weeds. Luckily I was already behind my rifle using my scope as a spotter and was able to finish him off.

No more than a minute later John spots one to the right of the one he just shot. Pinged him at 300 yds. He was walking to the right and wasn't staying put very long. Tried the shot anyways and shot right over his shoulder. After that he disappeared behind a knoll. OH well he'll be there for the next time!!

Soon after we had to leave. The manure spreaders were coming to fertilize the field. Good weather, good friends, good shooting. Can't ask for more than that.

BTW puts my total at 61 confirmed kills so far this year!!
thumbup.gif

Dave

Last edited:
Thanks Dogbone! I don't know why I keep forgetting that darn camera.
cursing.gif
Stories are definitely better with pics.

I apologize....again.

Dave

Originally Posted By: 1up5downThanks Dogbone! I don't know why I keep forgetting that darn camera.
cursing.gif
Stories are definitely better with pics.

I apologize....again.

Dave

Do not apologize! Just pulling your leg. You do it your way!!

Hey Dave, you sure you want to go back to Wyoming again next year just to shoot some prairie dogs? Seems like you doing pretty dang good right there where you live with those groundhogs! And they lots bigger too!

But if you still want to get that 6BR you go right ahead. Send to to me and I will get all the loads worked out for you. Then by the time you get here for prairie dogs, I will have it all shot out...opps...I mean sighted in for you! See? I'm a pal!

Spent two full days touring the beautiful OH countryside where Nomad47 hunts his groundhogs. He took me to his favorite spots, showed me where he made his amazing long range shots and let me shoot his 6xc at steel and ghogs.

We had a great time talking about shooting, motorhomes, our past lives at work and where we spend our time.

He worked up a range card for my 243 and taught me how to use the target turrets to reach out and shoot ghogs at long distance. At least for me.

In those two days I shot ghogs anywhere from 106 yds to 260 yds with my 243 using 58 gr V-Max factory ammo. My all time longest shot. Also shot steel at 550 yds, but could not get on with my gun. Nomad let me shoot his 6xc and I hit the steel three times in a row, including once in a right to left wind that moved the shot six inches left.

And while we were shooting steel, I managed to get two ghogs. One at 244 (my next longest shot) and another at a distance I can't remember at the moment. Both were shot at a fairly steep downward angle.

All in all we had a great time and I want to thank Nomad for his time, his expertise and his hospitality. Looking forward to doing it again next spring when we both return from our winter abodes.

Here are the pictures of some of the ghogs I shot during the two day hunt. By the way, I did miss at 360 and 475, but Nomad says not by much as he watched the shots through is long range scope. Going to have to back to the range and re-zero the gun. Nomad suggested that I zero at 100 and then use the target turrets to range from there.

The 260 yd shot. That 58 gr V-Max does an awesome job.
IMGP0099.jpg

The 106 yd shot. He poked his head up right below where our benches were set up.
IMGP0101.jpg

A 190 yd shot. Zippered him right up the back.
IMGP0103.jpg

The 244 yd with Nomad's 6xc
IMGP0104.jpg

And Nomad's 710 yd shot. Big hog!
IMGP0097.jpg

Headed home today. Might be able to get to the range tomorrow, or maybe just hit the fields to see what's going on.

Originally Posted By: bolskiYou don't have to explain but I am still trying to figure out, 1 up 5 down. Maybe I'll never know

I'll let you keep thinking bout it!! LOL

Maybe if you show me a frontal pic of your avatar I'll break down and tell you!!

Dave

Originally Posted By: bolskiI ll see if i can dig it up. She is all over the net. Not really sure who she is. One thing is for sure she is not mine. LOL

Very nice!!

I'll let you think about it until the weekend. If you still can't figure it out I will tell you.

Dave

Alright! Now we're talking! Solid posts guys, keep em coming.

Way to stretch it out DogBone! Sounds like a great trip out to one of the paradise states of groundhog hunting!

Back