Annual Groundhog tally for 2012

Sorry folks, I've been absent from posting almost everywhere! I've been busy at work, and busy with political/election stuff, and just majorly depressed and licking wounds since the election.
I have managed to sneak out some since the beans have been cut and have done pretty well at times. I've taken some pictures, but not as diligently as I used to.... the problem now is that I can't get into my Photobucket account/album!!! This has been driving me crazy for weeks! I've tried all the "help" options, and they won't reply back!
Is anyone else having these issues? If so, and you've been ablt to resolve them, PLEASE let me know how to fix it, or get me to where tech support will actually help!
Another problem I'm having is due to some of VA's stupid county ordinances! One of my most productive counties says: "no rifles larger than .22, except for groundhogs outside of the regular hunting season" this from the VADGIF hunting digest. The actual ordinance specifies .22 long rifle and dates from March 1 to August 31! It also specifies forfieture of unlawful weapons to the State! I found out all this after coming home from shooting three groundhogs last week! It's time for the VA varmint hunters to band together and try to get some of these regs standardized before someong unknowingly gets popped while trying to help the farmers out!
I doesn't look good for my quest to shoot 100 groundhogs for 2012....I need 8 more!
F1

Hi Guys..Thought I would share a picture of my "specialized" Ghog rifle. I was at a friends place in Ohio. We were in the process of installing a set of Ron Heilman vernier sights when this guy popped up right under the hundred yard target. Excellent varmint load! 530 grain 20 to 1 cast bullet, SPG lube, 72 grains of 2F Goex. (slightly compressed) [img:center]
Scan0001.jpg
[/img]

The round is a little overkill, but love the gun and nice shooting! Good luck next season! Were in OH are you? Our son lives in Dublin.

Hi Dogbone..Actually I live in Southeast WV. I was visiting a buddy who also shot Sharps rifles..He lived just off the Ohio river. We would travel together to go out west to long range shoots.

Originally Posted By: CatShooterFlyrod1...

What county is that, and do you have a link to the regulations. From March to August - that 3/4s of the season
cursing.gif

=================================================================================================
King George county!
Sorry I just saw your post....and I got a PM about it too!
More info later.........
F1

Originally Posted By: CatShooterFlyrod1...

What county is that, and do you have a link to the regulations. From March to August - that 3/4s of the season
cursing.gif

=======================================================================
From March 1st to August 31 is the only time a rifle larger than 22 long rifle may be used for, and only for groundhogs.
F1

Same down in Northumberland County as well. VA is in the stone age with some of their hunting laws. These particular laws are for "flat lands". Non hilly area where the bullet has a chance to travel us the driving issue here. That's what the game warden explained to me.

Well, absent any other posts of groundhogs for 2013, I'll start it up. Two days ago we had 9" of wet, heavy snow. Today, most of the snow has melted, and it was 61 degrees! I had to work today retrieving trucks and generators from telephone remote sites, after the utility power was back up, but after I got off, I grabbed a couple rifles and went looking for groundhogs....and found a bunch of them sitting on the edges of their holes.
The first safe shot presented to me was just under 150 yds, with just a head protruding from it's hole. The 40 grain Berger did what it's supposed to do:
pigdamage279_zps295a014b.jpg

pigdamage280_zps5f04cff4.jpg

Then I missed one at a little over 300 with a strong crosswind!
No more safe shots there, so I drove to another farm.
Two piggies were out, and I picked the closer of the two at 334 yards. This time I used the swift. The wind was just slightly quartering, so I held on the left edge of the poodle, and a little high, and turned the 50 grain SBK loose.... bingo, tail salute
thumbup.gif

I did't shag that one in the interest of saving time to hurry to another farm a couple miles down the road.
No cooperating groundhogs were found at the last farm
thumbdown.gif

So for my first outing, I'm two for three shots, and not complaining.
What does everybody want to do: continue this thread, or do what we normally do and start a new one for 2013?
Chime in....
F1

Good shooting flyrod!! I thought about going out today but instead went to the range to dial in the varmint rifles in preparation for the coming season.

The season is almost here!!!
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: bolskiWell I m up to 1 so far. 243 around 160 yards. Cant wait, its getting warm.

You guys need to start a new thread for 2013.

Annual Groundhog tally for 2013

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: bolskiWell I m up to 1 so far. 243 around 160 yards. Cant wait, its getting warm.

You guys need to start a new thread for 2013.

Annual Groundhog tally for 2013

Agree with Cat. Was hoping I would be the first to get one but I got beat out!!

Done! New thread started! Hoping for a sticky soon...
It's going to be a nice day here in the East today. For those lucky enough to have Sunday hunting, go out and get some!
I see Pruson has returned to these pages from an obvious absence. I hope he remains as he's usually good for a hundred or more pasture poodles!
I know most of the "sport" hunters like to wait until the first litter is weaned, and there are places I do that too, but the fields that were beans last year will probably be corn this year, and some corn will be planted early. Better go get 'em, cause if you snooze, you'll lose!
F1

Back