Annual Groundhog tally for 2012

Didn't get a call yesterday, so I called this morning to find out if one of the nine hole courses would be closed. Dave apologized for not calling and said to come on over. With the success I had last week during the afternoon, I decided not to go in the morning. Instead I arrived at 1, grabbed a cart and started cruising the course until I quit at 4:30. A league starts at 5 so I try to leave before they get on.

During that time I had confirmed kills on six and two crawl offs, one with lots of blood, but no body. Nuts! Also missed one at 230, again with the 204. Not sure what happened???

First was at 160, then 50 followed by 150, 72, 85 and 83 yds. The first one caught in the jaw. What a mess! The one at 85 was hit hard across the shoulders, but I had to give it the coup de gras and it was still trying to crawl away. Unreal. Nasty too! Here they are in order. No big pigs like last week. Mixture of old & young, male & female.

On some you can see the entrance wound. No exit wounds. And some neither.

IMGP0189.jpg
IMGP0190.jpg
IMGP0191.jpg
IMGP0194.jpg
IMGP0195.jpg
IMGP0196.jpg

They're really stating to get sparse. If I get more calls and chances to shoot at the golf course before the season ends on 9/30, I will give the younger ones a pass so I have more to shoot next year. I hope!!!

Lucky you. The libs around here wouldn't fathom the thought of shooting them on the golf courses. Things are cooling off weather wise so is a good time to get out.

Last edited:
MVC-086S-1.jpg

My New Groundhog rig 6mmbr HV .268 neck 18 inch Krieger barrel. I'm waiting on an ole Leupold Mark 4 8.5 x 25 i sold 2 years ago I bought it back should have Friday to mount.

Jim

In one month we leave for our winter digs in FL. Been busy with the stuff that needs to get done in and around the house. Not much regular time spent in the field. Finally took some R&R late this afternoon to hit the places I've been hunting all spring and summer. Except for one on a lucky spot, I would have been skunked.

As I was leaving via the rear entrance of the property owned by the landscaper, I glassed a nearby field where I know the owner cuts hay and spotted a ghog head sticking out of the fairly high grass. 125 yds.

Got the 17 HMR out of the case in the back seat, loaded a clip with 20 gr hp and started looking for the critter in my scope. I found it, but the nice profile had been replaced with what looked like the back of its head. Took my time and pulled the trigger. Heard the familiar whack and down went the ghog.

Drove the truck into the field and over to where I shot. Found two holes, but no ghog. Moved the grass aside from one of the holes and there it was staring up at me. Saw lots of blood in the hole, but not sure if it's dead. Reached in a gave the thing a poke. No movement. Whew! Grabbed a leg and hauled it out for the picture. Looks like the shot went through the base of the skull.

IMGP0197.jpg

Being the weather was so nice on Saturday, I was eager to hit the fields once again. Did not want to get anymore ribbing from Dogbone about forgetting the camera so I made sure to grab it before walking out the door.
thumbup.gif

Figured I would drive by the alfalfa field that I like to shoot on and see if it was cut. It was freshly cut!! Pulled to the edge of the field and got unloaded. I was doing this hunt solo since my buddy John was at the Martinsburg Air Show with his family.

Made the trek to the knoll that I like to shoot from. Didn't see anything for almost an hour when I finally spotted one behind me taking a look see from his hole.The Leica ranged him at 169 yds. Should be a chip shot. Got on him and squeezed one off. Knew instantly I missed. Pulled the shot. Darn!! 0-1 already. Not the way I wanted to start the day off.

Anyways got back to glassing and all was quiet. Figured I would take a little cat nap since I worked Friday night in Washington DC at the Dept. Of Interior. Woke up about 20 min. later and started glassing again. Finally spotted anothe one to the left of the one I missed and a little farther back. Ranged him at 195 yds. Got set up once again and cut one loose. Heard the impact and he was history. I'm feeling better now. 1-2.

Ghog was on the right hand side of the green clump to the left.

huntingpictures178.jpg

Here he is resting peacefully.

huntingpictures179.jpg

Went back to glassing and was quiet for anothe 30 min. when I saw one in the far corner coming out of the fence line to grab some grub. Knew he was a fair distance away so I wanted to know the exact distance. Pinged him at 417 yds. Got into position and the wind was blowing pretty good so I hela 1 moa to the right of him and 3" high. Squezzed and watch the bullet impact the ground just over his back. He froze not knowing what just happened. Big mistake!! Readjusted my hold over and sent another one. Bingo! Hit him in his left shoulder.

Ghog was in the far corner of the field.

huntingpictures180.jpg

Pic of the deceased.

huntingpictures182.jpg

Got back in my chair and no more than got comfortable when I noticed something moving about 50 yds. to my right. It was just over the side of a knoll so I had to stand up to see what it was. It was a ghog running around outside of it's hole. Got behind the rifle and it started to make it's way to another hole to my left. He stopped to take a look and I let one rip. Needless to say he is no more. The pic would have been too graphic to put on here so you will have to take my word he is in a better place now. 3-5 now so I'm feeling a little better.

I kept watching the hole where I missed the one at 169 yds. and could see him pop his head up every once in a while but would not stay up long enough to give a clear shot. He's a smart one!!

Decided to move to another small hill and just as I started to get close to the top I stopped to glass the other side. Saw one feeding outside his hole about 100 yds. away. Had to work my way around the knoll to the right to get a clear shot. Just as I was getting set up, he spotted me and started making his way to his hole. Shoot! He's going to get away. Well, as luck would have it, he stopped at the entrance to try and figure out what I was. Put the cross hair on his chest and sent a 40gr. pill of death his way. Flipped him right off his mound. 4-6 now and feeling better every time I pull the trigger.

Here is the aftermath.

huntingpictures183.jpg

Grabbed my chair and made my way to the top of the knoll. It was pretty quiet so I decided to call my buddy Russ. Was talking to him for about ten minutes when I spotted on about 120 yds. to my right coming out of a grown over tree/rock break. Told Russ I had to put the phone down for a minute to take care of some business. Got on him and cut one loose. Heard the thump and watched him roll over on his right.

Pick of him taking his last chew.

huntingpictures181-1.jpg

Finished my talk with Russ and decided to call it a day. Went 5-7 today. Not too bad I guess. That put my total at 82 ghogs so far this year.

Good hunting.

Dave

Originally Posted By: wahoowadGood post. You need to get out more (to keep me entertained
smile.gif
)

Will do wahoowad. Plan on sighting in the 204 AR on Saturday morning and hit the fields in the afternoon.
thumbup.gif

Dave

I've been working on this for awhile. Anytime you're dealing wth bureaucracies, it takes time. And even though it's getting to the end of the season here in NJ, it gives me an opportunity to shoot a new area.

I received permission from the state to eradicate the ghog population on a site that's part of the park system.

It's an open field. Less than an acre, that's loaded with burrows. It used occasionally for outdoor events that involve human and animal traffic. There's a concern that someone is going to step in a hole, get injured and sue.

But this is going to be tricky. It's in close proximity to a large complex of ball fields and recreation facilities. And, residents use the field to walk their dogs. And, the field leads to a trail into the woods above it.

So, I need to pick times when there is as little activity in the area as possible, do my shooting, get in and get out before people can figure out what's going on. I've notified the local police about my activities. They don't have a problem with it and should back me up in the event that someone decides to call them.

Due to the cooler weather, I'm hoping there won't be a lot of activity during the day.

I actually just came back from there and was able to shoot one. And there were two more in the field. No pics.

Almost immediately after shooting, a couple pulled up with their German Shepard to go for a walk in the field. I told them what I was doing and they seemed supportive. While we were taking, the Shepard is sniffing the dead ghog, so I dropped it in one of the many holes that surrounded us and the Sheppard tried to get it out of the hole. It was funnly watching the dog go nuts. The owners finally leashed the dog and went for their walk. Then a woman showed up to walk her two dogs, so the party was over for then. Like is said, this is going to be tricky.

I'll give it another try in a few hours and see what's going on and if I can get some more ghogs. Wish me luck!

If it's Tuesday . . . Well, you know the drill.

Started out early in the morning, driving the motorhome to G&G for its annual service. Arrived at 7:45 and was done at 1:00. Drove back home, had lunch and arrived at the golf course by 2. Within a half hour I had four ghogs dead on the ground. All shot in the ear at 83, 72, 72 and 57 yards with the 17 HMR. Spent another half hour looking for more, but the only two I saw decided not to hang around for the main event, the smack down.

IMGP0204.jpg
IMGP0205.jpg

IMGP0207.jpg
IMGP0208.jpg

This was my last foray for the season. Ended with 75. Off to OH for a visit with the family. Then, after we get and pack, we hit the road for the trip to FL for the Winter. I'll be following your escapades so keep up the hunt. See you in the Spring.

Yesterday was Wednesday...you better go put them back in their holes!
tt2.gif

Have a great winter in sunny Florida! Take that 243, maybe you can find some feral pigs or armadillos.

Originally Posted By: wahoowadYesterday was Wednesday...you better go put them back in their holes!
tt2.gif

Have a great winter in sunny Florida! Take that 243, maybe you can find some feral pigs or armadillos.

Dead is dead. There's no going back. There are at least two left for next year. Ha, ha.

I've thought about taking something with me in the past, but just never followed through. Now that I have a 243 I might think about it more seriously. Thanks for the reminder/suggestion! Later.

Really sad how the groundhog season is winding down to a close. I haven't been for a few weeks and things were slowing up even when I did go. Did a trip yesterday as soybean fields have been cut here. A new farm revealed quite a few active holes...yet several hours later we only saw 2. Whacked one at 200 and missed the one at 320. Here's the one we got - it was in excellent shape other than the small hole below the ear
lol.gif

02923728-A94C-4313-B6E0-15A2DF51D400-15638-00001181E48AE81F.jpg

It's been ages since anyone has posted anything about hunting ghogs. Glad to see someone is still out there getting the job done. Way to go wahoowad! Fat bugger too. And a nice shot as usual!

Back