Annual Groundhog tally for 2012

Flyrod1

We usually wait until March to start this thread, because the groundhogs are usually sleeping about now. The weather has been unusually mild this year, and some of the sod poodles have delayed their winter nap.
Blueridgeboy and I were scouting some new territory today, looking for wild hog sign, and spotted a pasture poodle resting on his mound out in a cut bean field. The range was just over 200 yds., and all I had was a 270! The shot was safe, so I took it, and officially started the count for 2012, on the first legal day (in VA) of the New Year!

Firstgroundhog2012.jpg

BRB captured the scene of the crime on his Droid.

So at the Mod's pleasure, it's time to remove the sticky on the 2011 thread, and hopefully sticky this one for the 2012 groundhog season.
Let's take our cameras with us this year, and get some great pictures of our pasture poodle adventures.
Happy New Year!
F1

Nice shot Flyrod.Guess I'm going to have to break out the 204 early to keep up with you!
I've been seeing them out some too. Just not when I had a rifle. Each year they do seem to be staying out a little longer before going underground to take their nap. We don't have the winters here like we used to. Hopefully this years thread will be as good or better than last years.

Dave

That was a quick start F1. Last year my first was killed in early January in a foothold trap. I'm not expecting the same luck this year, although it has been warm. Way to kick off the new year
thumbup.gif
. I'm curious as to what everybody is going to be hunting with this year too. I have my 243 varminter just about finished hardware wise and have to start load work as soon as I get it back from Cerakote. I'm hoping to run 87gr. Berger VLD hunting bullets out of it this year to buck wind on the longer shots. I have new glass and a new barrel on it, so it will be interesting to see how she'll perform. I'll still be toting the AR some as well as the little 17HMR. I think I'm going to utilize the ATV more and do less run and gun and more sit and glass. That run and gun hunting is getting harder every year
unsure.gif

I'm with you Corey on using the ATV more. Toting two rifles and gear is getting to be too much. On the property I can't use a 4 wheeler, I'll carry only one rifle and gear.

This is how I prefer to hunt now.LOL

huntingpictures026.jpg

Dave

Last edited:
Great start F1.....not what I needed to see. Now my cabin fever is kicking into overdrive!

Corey - I expect to stretch my 243 out to 400+ this coming year, at least that will be my goal. I'll probably rack up most with 17FB as there is just something so fun about using it. This is assuming it continues to shoot straight in my new Boyd's stock. Recently shot a 3/8" group @ 100 yards so think I've worked out the bugs.

Also, currently building up a 10/22 just for fun. I'm not expecting to use it for 'hogs much but am sure I will make it a point to get at least 1.

Wahoowad, I would love to see pics of your 17FB. I'm thinking bout getting a 220 Swift.
Scott at SD is having a blowout on 204 uppers. $500 for complete upper. I already have the Savage Model 12 in 204 so I don't know if I need another..... decisions,decisions...
cursing.gif

Dave

I usually take a few in late April while coyote hunting. It's mostly because I have an urge to shoot something by then
tongue_smilie.gif
. I mainly get into them starting late May and early June.

I'm hoping I'll have all the kinks worked out of my new build by then. Just have to get her put back together and do some load work. Here's a little preview picture of the barreled action. 0 rounds fired since I started last spring.
SPS%20barreled%20action%20ckoted.jpg

Hope to be shooting these.
url]

Usually towards the end of April-first of May.

Corey, keep us updated(with pics) with your build. Can't wait to see the finished product. Is that what the new Vortex is going to sit on ??

Dave

Sure is Dave. Rifle is in a Brown Truck somewhere between here and Baxter IA. The Vortex looks cool too with the EBR-1 reticle. I need to measure my ring height once everything gets here and order them up and get to shooting this beast. I'll give a rundown of the whole thing once I have some proof targets
wink.gif

I'm liking the Vortex reticle too.Reminds me of my Nightforce with the NPR-2 reticle. Seems like Vortex is getting some really good reviews also.

What caliber you doin ???

Dave

Way to got Flyrod1! We haven't had any snow really here yet and pretty warm temps, so hopefully it will be a plentiful spring. No hogs out, but about 5 years ago we had a winter like this and they were out in February. Got my fingers crossed.

243 again Dave. I'm surprised I haven't seen any hogs yet. These warm temps and green fields should have a couple poking their noses out for a look. I've been finding fresh dug holes, but I think skunks have taken them over.

Originally Posted By: ARCOREY243 again Dave. I'm surprised I haven't seen any hogs yet. These warm temps and green fields should have a couple poking their noses out for a look. I've been finding fresh dug holes, but I think skunks have taken them over.

That custom 243 aught to be a real coyote/deer whacker. I'm thinking bout getting a 6DTI upper for my AR.

I hope the ghogs stay underground for a little while longer. Haven't had time to work up any hand loads for my 204. Still trying to find a good powder/bullet combo for my 223.
cursing.gif

Dave

I'm thinking about coming down your way this spring/summer and do some ghog hunting. I have some relatives that live in Broadway and in Harrisonburg. Lots of good looking land down there. Getting too populated up here.

Dave

I had to look at this post twice. Didn't expect it now. Way to go FlyRod. Guess I have to go look around on the next warm up.

That is an early one, good job!

I'll be trying to work up a load this year for my 243 using 75 V-MAX's. Got the 70NBT's flying well now with Reloader 19 but will give Reloader 15 a go first with the 75's I think.

My 22-250 is good to go at 36.5 of Varget w/52 Berger's.

My 222 loves a stiff charge of 4198 w/CCI 400's & 40 V-MAX's.

Have my 22 hornet shooting 34 Midway dogtown bullets & 35VM's.

The 17hmr sees very limited g-hog hunt time any more. I'm interested to see how the new 17 Hornady Hornets do though!

Good hunting everyone.

Stephen

As promised Dave. Hopefully this will take a few hogs this summer.
243 build

Sadly enough, I saw real estate signs at my groundhog haven Saturday night. I hope it was some kind of mistake
cry.gif

Back