Annual Groundhog tally for 2012

This was the first time I was able to get out this week. We've had numberous storms roll through almost every day and they've kept me indoors or close to home. Took the time to do some organizing, straightening up and getting ready to sight in and find out what factory ammo works best in my new Venture in 243. Tomorrow I hope.

Anyway, after doing the above for most of the day, I decided to see if I could find that garden ghog that's been elluding me for about two weeks. The farm is close by and we were expecting another big storm, so I didn't want to get stuck too far from the house.

I set up the truck in my sniping location overlooking the hole. I had been sitting about a half hour when I just happened to look out in front on me and thought I saw something running on the otherside of a low woodpile. At first I figured it was a cat, since there are a number of them roaming around the farm. I picked up the binos and sure enough, it's a groundhog on a patch of grass/lawn on the other side of the garden and an access road that runs between the main house and barn up towards the back of the property. I range it 98 at yards.

Of course I didn't have the gun ready. Afterall, I haven't seen the darn hog yet and I wasn't optomistic about seeing it this time either. So I reach into the back seat of the truck and uncase the .17 HMR, load up the 4 round mag of 20 gr XTP hollow points, look up to find the hog and of course it's gone.

Well I figure it still has to be there. I just can't see it behind the woodpile. So I back the truck all the way to the other side of the farm, pull all the way around to the barn, park the truck, grab the gun, climb a steep embankment and poke my head up to see if I can spot the little bugger. At first nothing. I even stand up using a vine-covered fence post as cover, but still nothing. I sit back down and keep looking at almost eye level to the ground when I spot a head sticking up out of the grass. It's looking around, playing peek a boo.

In front of me is one of the pool ladders (no pool) that has steps leading up to a platform and steps going back down the other side. I crawl on my hands and knees with the gun until I reach the ladder. I pick me head up and I see the ghog still popping its head up to look around. Slowly, I extend the bipod, raise myself up, place the gun on the platform and find the hog. I've got it in the crosshairs, getting ready to take the shot when it decides to stand up for a better look. Perfect! Put the crosshairs on its neck and pull the trigger. Down it goes, dead on impact! Yes!! It's been what feels like a long dry spell since the last time I got a ghog.

Here's the DRT. Looks like a younger female. Can't find the entrance or exit. Maybe that's the entrance on the chin? With the blood coming from its ear, I figure I sent the round into its skull and turned the brain to mush. Hence the dead on impact.

IMGP0013-002.jpg
IMGP0014-002.jpg

After I shot, I walked back to the truck to get the camera and the range finder. Turns the out the shot was 89 yds.

I take the pictures and look up to see the biggest black sky I've seen in a long time coming out of the West. I'm out of here! Just made it back to the house when the skies opened up and the lightning and thunder started.

That was a short and satisfying hunt.

Having cabin fever from sitting in a chair with ice packs on my neck this week, I decided to take the little lightweight model 7 in 17rem for a walk this morning on some calling stands, regardless if I'm supposed to be out or not
tt2.gif
. No success there so I checked out some chuck hunting grounds with the 17rem. I was mostly focused on calling today, so I left the range finder behind and apparently the camera memory card as well
cursing.gif
. You'll have to settle for cell phone pics today. I took the video camera too, but killed the battery on blank calling stands. I saw a chuck on the neighboring property, but no permission, so he got a pass. Was walking through the grown hay field when I saw a head sticking up. I crawled closer to clear the rise and setup the rifle in the sticks. Crosshairs on the top of the chest and boom, down goes chuck. I pace off the distance and it is 89 paces, I would have guessed 75yds when I shot. Not bad for off the sticks and on my knees. This is the first critter to show sign of damage from the 17rem so far. Blew a huge hole out his back. I must have hit the top of the shoulder blade on entrance and it disintegrated his insides. When I retreived him, there was a golf ball sized exit in the hide with a baseball sized void behind it in the meat
scared.gif
7-28-12.jpg

I drove over to another section of farm that had a short walk since my legs were toast after about a 4 mile loop. I spotted one of this years chucks in the rocks. I stalked closer to clear the thistles and went prone for the shot and heard something that didn't sound right. I stood up to see the guy that was leasing the pasture refilling the cattle feeder. While he wasn't in any danger from my shot, I thought it best not to evacuate his bowels with a surprise shot
w00t.gif
. Got to talking with him about his cutting schedule and tried to gain access to some other land he is leasing. The whole time we were talking, the chuck is watching me from about 150yds away. He drives off and I back up to a more elevated position and finally get a chance at the young chuck. I hold for his head figuring it is about 200yds. I didn't hold any wind though even though there was some from left to right and the bullet exploded off the flat rock face just right of his head. I paced it off and got 219 paces. With the ups and downs, probably closer to 200yds. At this point my pinched nerve was driving me crazy and I called it a day while I could still get to the vehicle. Hopefully my prime field will be cut in about 2 weeks as promised and I'll be back in the numbers and more mobile. Still a better time than sitting at home.

Sorry to hear about he pinched nerve! Hope it gets better fast!!

Nice shooting! To bad about the last one. We'll let it go this time and chalk it up to the pain in the neck. No not you, the neck!
smile.gif

Thanks Dogbone. Looks like I should have stayed home. I'm back on the ice again. Good thing is my beer won't get hot now
crazy.gif
. You've been beating up the chucks with the HMR this year. Any idea how many you've gotten?

Originally Posted By: ARCOREYThanks Dogbone. Looks like I should have stayed home. I'm back on the ice again. Good thing is my beer won't get hot now
crazy.gif
. You've been beating up the chucks with the HMR this year. Any idea how many you've gotten?

Beer on ice. Works for me. Yeah, the .17 has gotten a real workout this year. It has to do with the size of the properties I hunt, the accuracy of the round and that it's quieter. Just more conducive to the situations. I've gotten 46 so far this year. And, although I don't keep stats on each gun, the .17 has definitely gotten more than any other.
thumbup.gif

That's a nice total this early. I'm a firm believer in the 20gr bullets. I'm hoping to get my HMR threaded for a future can. I'm sure it'll see even more trigger time then.
wink.gif

Went out again today and hit two farms. First farm only saw one hog. Ranged him at 245 yds. and sent a 40gr. pill his way. Saw the "spray" through the scope and knew he was history.

Next farm I went 7-8. Confirmed kill shots were anywhere from 100yds-25oyds. Missed one at 478 yds. Shot right under him and he jumped like [beeep]!!

Anyways, forgot my camera again!!
cursing.gif
Nine shots and eight dead ghogs. Puts me at 53 for the year.

Good hunting guys.

Dave

Last edited:
It rained most of the day so when it finally let up around 5 pm I decided I needed to get out of the house.

I made my rounds to each of my hunting locations except one. And I got one at the landscaping property. I'd say it's a female from this year's crop. It was at the bottom of the berm where its hole is and under the protection of a large cedar tree. I say protections because it started to rain lightly on the way over. I ranged it at 84 yds, pulled out the .17 HMR and lowered the boom on her. DRT! Here's the evidence.

IMGP0027-001.jpg
IMGP0028-001.jpg

On the way there and on the way back, I've never seen so many ghogs and most of them were still out while it was raining. Thought these guys didn't like the rain??? Maybe they were holed up all day and needed to get out too. ::) It's driving me crazy to see so many targets I can't shoot at! :mad:

I also checked out the garden property, the pumkin farm and the garden center, but nothing.

It's starting to get pretty dark. I decide to check out a small field I've never been to before that's next to one of the other properties and as I pull into the opening to the field I see two. I can tell that both are right on top of their holes. They're just sitting there checking me out. Probably never seen one of me before? Good size too!

I pull out the HMR, find each one in the crosshairs and pop them both in succession. Put the gun away, grab the camera and scale and head out into the field. Here's the first one. Well, I never! The same to you!!

IMGP0030.jpg
IMGP0031.jpg

It's a large, old female. 10.4 lbs. 50 yds.

I walk over to the next hole, but nothing. Nothing except blood on the grass by the hole. I have to walk back to the truck and get the flashlight. Sure enough, there it is piled up in the bottom of the hole. I tickle its foot. No movement. I grab the foot and pull it out. Another good size hog. This time a male. And although it looks larger, it only weights 9.9 lbs. 75 yds. Still, it's a decent size for around here. Guess these two have been here for awhile?

IMGP0032.jpg
IMGP0034.jpg

And check out the nasty jaw and long bottom teeth! Gross!

IMGP0035.jpg

Based on all the blood from all three, I'd say I was on target with head shots to each one. Good ole .17 HMR!!!

Thanks for the posts guys. Good reading material while I have been taking a break. All this .17 talk has me ready to get back out with the Fireball.

Fore!

Got a call this morning that one of the three nines at the golf course would be closed today. Got there at 10 am.

Grabbed a cart and cruised the nine hole course several times and managed to get four in about four hours. Three holes in one and one eagle. All head shots with the .17 HMR. Also got two bogies. I'll explain.

The first one was a pup at only 20 yds. Head shot with an obvious exit wound.

IMGP0065.jpg
IMGP0066.jpg

The second was at 85 yds. A large male.

IMGP0068.jpg
IMGP0069.jpg

Third was a very young pup. Surprised at how small this one was at mid summer. 50 yds.

IMGP0070.jpg
IMGP0071-001.jpg

The fourth was a large female at 65 yds. But it required two shots, one miss and a hit. What's going on???

IMGP0072.jpg
IMGP0073-001.jpg

Need to comment that the two large ghogs both went down immediately. However, both young ones flopped around for quite some time before passing. I've observed this numberous times. Wondering if you've seen the same?

Now, not all was better than par during this hunt. I missed two. Each one I shot at four times and both ran off. I credit this to the lousy cart paths on the course. I'm convinced the uneven surfaces knocked the scope off. Will be making a trip to the range to get it back on target. Needless to say, slightly p o'd!!!

Brand New Ghog!

After dinner I grabbed the 223 (hoping for a longer shot after hunting the golf course earlier) and headed out the door at about 6 pm. First I went to the garden farm. Nothing. Next I went to the pumpkin farm. Let me digress.

Yesterday afternoon I walked the perimeter of the pumpking patch to see what I could find. Did see some minor pumpking damage and a hole at the edge of the field. I marked it with broken branch above the hole, with the intention of coming back for a try at whatever was living there. Ranged it at 201 yds from where I planned to shoot using the roof on the cap on my truck.

So, with that in mind, I pulled into the lower driveway below the house, headed to the back of the property where the pumpkins are located. As I looked to my right at the back of the house and upper barn, I spotted a ghog I had never seen before in the two full years I've been hunting there. It started running toward the barn and stopped. I stopped the truck and it took off again right into an open doorway of the barn, below the main floor.

I drove around to the back of the main, larger barn, parked the truck, grabbed the 223 and the rangefinder binos and walked to the front of the barn that faces the door where the ghog disappeared. When I got to the front of the barn I looked through a window to see if I could see the hog. Nothing. I grabbed a chair that happened to be by the barn door, walked outside, placed the chair behind a conveyor used to send hay into the loft, placed the gun on the conveyor for a good solid rest and waited.

About ten or fifteen minutes went by when I spotted an old grey face through the scope, peering out of the doorway. I patiently watched as it cautiously advanced forward down the gradually sloping hillside, looking up every few steps. I could swear it was looking right at me, but knew I had good cover for the shot.

Once it walked about 5 or so yards it stopped and raised its head as if sniffing the air or looking for something. That's when I pulled the trigger and watched it go down right there. Whack! Yes! I was only a 100 yard shot, but it felt good to fire something with more power at a longer distance than the .17 HMR I had been using for weeks.

Definitely and old female and a smart one too. Guess that's how she managed to stay alive so long even with me prowling around for two years once or twice a week. Just dumb luck on my part!

Could not find and entrance or exit wound??? Oh well, it was a good shot and dead is dead! Oh yeah, 10.4 lbs.

IMGP0074.jpg
IMGP0075.jpg

Yes, really. I proclaim you King of New Jersey groundhog hunter.

I went out after work, took my Browning 22 Hornet since I was visiting a farm with a lot of buildings and few long range shots. Shot at 5, recovered 4.

Skinny sister, fat sister
395ba4fd.jpg

Fortunately somebody parked this car right here about 10 years ago
tt2.gif
and it was just right for my last shot. In the background you can see the brush pile that gave up the first two pictured above.
8c76f316.jpg

6218ad21.jpg

0f8d3850.jpg

8a8c79e2.jpg

Wahoowaow, love the Hornet pics, its doing a number on the ground hogs! I wish we could shoot them down here. Now how about breaking out old Maggie one time for us 22 magnum fans.

Back