WW-V Schedule

Wow, very similar experience here, Reb. Except my parents and sister all had AT&T (I had been with Verizon/Airtouch since about '97) and loved it. Their signal footprint was just as good as what I was getting with Verizon. When the switch to Cingular happened, my dad, who uses his cell a lot for his business, started complaining about signal problems and call quality. I, of course, still retaining some of my youthful knuckle-headedness, figured this was all an anomoly and had nothing to do with the Cingular transition. I ended my long term relationship with Verizon and stupidly entered into a 2 year contract with Cingular. Well, one year down and one more to go, then it's back to Verizon.

Guys, I'm running into a bit of an issue concerning this weekend. I have taken sick since Wednesday night and haven't gotten a lick of sleep over the past couple of nights. This couples nicely with my miserable days and creates a generally hellish condition, 24 hours a day. I seem to have some nasal passage infection from Hades, coupled with my usual hay fever. This has made for some rather copious and interesting nasal secretions which I will not go into great detail about. Anyway, I'm "iffy" unless things improve.

sorry to hear that scattergun. I am out the door now, truck is all loaded. I'll stop at the motel when i get into Ft Bridger and say hi to everyone, though i am going to camp out.

Well I'm back. CoCajun and I teamed up, and managed to terminate a good 60 dogs or so between us. Was good times all around, and nice to meet everyone.

Was great meeting everyone and seeing "that side" of old Wyo, and despite the utter lack of anything to shoot at Saturday morning, Fly and I managed to find more than enough Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning to make the 6 hour drive plenty worth it. I even had the chance on my way home to pull off the highway just east of Elk Mountain and catch 15 trout in less than an hour. Along 287 between Laramie and the fort I ran into this however......

FireBomberweb.jpg

A reminder of what time of year it is and with these things poppin up all over the country these days its just another reason that we all need to be carefull. I'm sure I'm preachin to the choir, but sometimes it's good to remind ourselves. And thank you to all you guys who put yourself at risk to battle these things.

P.S. Nasa, I checked while unloading and I don't have those rings. I don't know what to say, man. PM me and I guess I'll need to buy you a new pair.

damn, i just saw that fire RIGHT after it had started. Definite lighting strike. I would of called 911 myself, except i saw a lady ahead of me stop and whip out her cell phone. 15 minutes later near owl canyon, i saw a bunch of Forestry (sp?) fire trucks hauling [beeep] going north.

For us poor slobs that couldn't make it, how about a report card? Make me feel bad, tell me about the 500 dogs you executed in two days. What did I miss?

i got about 20-25 dogs myself, and Cocajun wacked 30-40.
The ironic thing is, i had a $1800 AR-15 setup, and CoCajun borrowed my $350 savage 17hmr, and got a better bag count. Of course he's a better shot, and the savage is a better rifle for shooting from a car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Fly. PM's checked, E-mail sent...

Claimbuster, don't feel too bad. We didn't hit the triple digits you talk of (and are readily available right here on the "eastern" slope, if they'd only put a muzzle on the screamin mound rat huggers). It was a great weekend however, a little shooting, a little BS'n, a little camping, and a lot of great scenery, so you'll just have to make it next year for WWV!

And fly, I'm still lovin that 17! Started checking prices online last night. Damn you! And oh, thanks again....

How were the dog populations ? Any sign they had the plague or suffered massive losses. Weather ?
I had to go work on farm equipment so I missed out on that trip. Got in a couple of hours of fine shooting the following day tho.

Last edited:
Fly or Cocajun,

Thanks for the update. Tell a little about the Savage .17. Is it the HMR? If so, what model is it? How do you like it? I've been thinking of the model with the SS barrel and the laminate stock. Not sure of model number off hand. Never had a .17 hmr but I've heard lots of good things. Can you give me a report on what you think of the Savage and what model it is? Thanks.

Glad you guys had fun. I seem to always miss the fun trips.

skb2706:
populations were so so. Wasnt hundreds and hundreds of them. CoCajun and me would find small dog towns of 5-10, wack em, then move on to the next town. No idea what impact weather or plague had on them.

Teesh:
my savage is a 17hmr. Not sure of the model, but i'll post a picture so you can maybe figure it out. I love it, its highly accurate, light weight, zero recoil, and easy to handle, espcially if your shooting inside a car. The one i have is a stainless bull barrel. I have a cheap tasco 6-24x mil dot scope on it that works extremely well. I dropped a cheap Basix after market trigger to it, which makes the trigger pull insanely light, maybe 1 1/2 pounds. CoCajun used it the vast majority of the day, so he can give you a shooting report of it as well.

edit: wanted to add, at the ranges we shot p-dogs, the 17hmr rips em up pretty good. Only a few times did we need to re-shoot a dog.

Cost of the gun:

$220

Scope and Rings:

$100

trigger:

$80

picture of the gun with old scope (before i put on the 6x24 tasco)

small_verminator.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:

Claimbuster, don't feel too bad. We didn't hit the triple digits you talk of (and are readily available right here on the "eastern" slope, if they'd only put a muzzle on the screamin mound rat huggers). It was a great weekend however, a little shooting, a little BS'n, a little camping, and a lot of great scenery, so you'll just have to make it next year for WWV!

Sounds like you had fun, sorry I missed out. Maybe better luck next year. I have not given up on finding a location for RR-II. Let's all keep looking.

RR-II? Whats that?

Thanks fly for the info. Looks like the Savage 93R17-FVSS.

I'm looking at the 93R17-BVSS. Thanks again.

Glad to hear you guys had a good time, even without me. Spending the weekend laying low was probably one of the smarter things I've done in a while. I've been on the mend since Sunday and am starting to feel like my old self again.

BTW, as I mentioned before, the Savage 93 series is, in my opinion, one of the better .17HMR rifles for the money. I bought my 93R17-FVSS a number of years ago for $185 at what was then Galyans Sporting Goods in SLC. I traded in a little NEF Sporster in .17HMR that I had ripped at another gun shop (on sale for just over the century mark). I liked the NEF just fine, but have never regreted moving to the Savage. Marlin makes some mighty fine, low cost hummer options as well. Some folks minimize the role of the .17HMR round, but I have really enjoyed the caliber myself.

Back