WW-V Schedule

i dont have a place in mind (never been there in fact), so if you dont mind, i'll just follow you. Safety in numbers and all that.

Well, unfortunately the proposal gods have not been looking down on me favorably. Our marketing department will not get the final draft to me until Friday. We'll make the last corrections on Saturday for delivery on Monday. So, I will not make it to the big event. In 37 months and 11 days this kind of %&$@ will no longer be my problem (that's when I do my Johnny Paycheck imitation---"take this job and....).

NASA --- Call me, or I'll call you, so that we can make arrangements for an ammo drop.

I just came back from that area. I stopped in Evanston and got a BLM map at the Ranger station, then headed out just east of Fort Bridger and Lyman. No PDs. Lots of cottontails and antelope, lots and lots.

Got back onto I-80 and headed a little further east. We were about 80 miles into WY from the UT border. Nothing out there either.

So we turned back around and went back to Fort Bridger and headed up north past the airport. We followed those dirt roads north and started seeing mounds. But we never saw more than maybe 10-15 mounds in one area. We kept looking for the jack pot, or at least something worth stopping for.

We continued back to Evanston and headed north again towards Yellowstone, but the BLM land up there is spaced out and not very accessable. And there was not a single PD mound in sight. By then the afternoon thundershowers had caught up to us, and the dirt roads get really stickky and soft in the rain, so we called it a day and headed home.

So, after about 7 hours of scouting BLM dirt roads between Evanston and Fort Bridger and a little to the east and north, we saw a total of maybe 7 prarie dogs, maybe 100-200 mounds spread out, and probably 200-300 antelope.

The only shots I fired were two to fowl my barrel in the AM, and then I busted a few soda cans before we went home. This varmint hunt was a BUST. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif That's not encouraging. Thanks for the report. At least now we know where not to look. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

stiff-neck,

The area near the airport that you mentioned is a spot I have frequented from time to time as well. That is discouraging. Many of the areas you wnet to sounded like spots I shot at as well. If not the exact spots, relatively close by. My only hope is you drove the exact same trails I did last week and we just missed turning down the two-track that would lead us to where all the prairie dogs were. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif ...It could happen.

Maybe I'm just being a little pesimistic, but I sure hate to have everyone drive all this way for a chance to shoot a dozen or so dogs. I don't know, just thinking out load, or at least, on the internet. Thoughts?

If there was a storm coming in may have been a factor. A couple of weeks ago I saw them all over along the road in some of the area you covered. I think they are there it will just take some looking.
I was not able to get some scouting done like I had hoped. I had to wait to pick up my bronco from the repair shop on Sat. and already had plans on Sun. I wish I had time to go up before work during the week but I dont think I could make it back in time and do some good scouting.

You know, it's funny... as we drove into one particular area up there (going from the black top to the dirt road) I would have thought we were heading into P-Dog Paradise. There were a few young ones scrambling across the dirt road ahead of us, dead ones back along the highway. But once we got back in there, crawling along all the two-track, there were miles were we'd see nothing other than some mounds. But here and there, we'd find a little shooting.

Last edited:
Headed up to NE this weekend to do some sighting in (live dogs make much better targets than paper - pic to follow). Took maybe 50 shots and snap, crackle, what the ....! The rear lens of the (admittedly extremely cheap) scope on my my Mini 14 cracks and falls out. Luckily The friend I was with had a scoped 22lr and my day didn't end immediatly. BUT, now I have no optics on anything smaller than .308, and I'm in need of $$$ for a new scope. So.....Looks like I'm gonna have to drop out of this event due to my new found lack of the proper equipment and the strain that replacing said equipment is gonna cause on my gas budget. Good luck to you guys, hopefully you can find 'em. One thing I will say is that they are definitly out in numbers over in the husker state. Quite a few may be limping around from .22 bruises, though.

Guess I'll have to wait 'till next year.....

Quote:
BUT, now I have no optics on anything smaller than .308

No problem. I've got a spare Leupy you can borrow. I'll bring it up there on Thursday. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I'm not an expert, and that was my first time in WY looking for PDs. Maybe I missed something, but my experience was that the PDs were spread very thin, and the numbers were hardly worth stopping and unloading gear for. A few mounds here, a few there, that's it. From the main highway I could see some mounds on private land, with no apparent way to contact the land owner. It's not ALL public land out there unlike what I've read.

I know PDs won't be up and about with bad weather approaching, but they can't hide their mounds and mounds are pretty easy to spot! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Didn't see many mounds out there, not like what I'd heard about on this site and others. In my experience, it's not worth a trip. Maybe the plague got them, or maybe they're shot out, I dunno.

I just wanted to give you guys a heads up, if you're planning on shooting near Fort Bridger, you might want to have a solid "plan B" in mind.

Just food for thought!

Keep south easy Colorado in mind! Pueblo has a boat load of PDs and friendly land owners to boot.

Just somthing to think about.........

My apologies guys. I cooked up the chili and froze it last weekend. Now I can't make WW-V.

It turned out to be a fairly good batch of chili. I don't measure anything. I've been making my special blend for over 40 years and it is a bit of this and a bit of that. Because the meat has the greatest contribution to the flavor of good chili, I start out with good, fresh boneless chuck (not round, not sirloin and for god-sakes not store bought hamburger). I trim out the excess fat and the "garbage". One doesn't want to trim out all of the fat as it adds flavor, forget the colesterol thing, as we all have to go sometime. Then I grind it through a coarse blade in a commercial grade grinder. Make sure the meat and grinder head are very cold. The seasonings become the magic. Chili powder (home blend), cummin, chimayo red, mexican oregano, onion, garlic, tomato sauce, and last, but not least, a six pack of beer. One can for the chili, five cans for the cook. A little masa harina for thickening (and flavor) and frijoles pintos, if you like.

I come for the chili, the campfire BS, the fun, and the comaradarie. Sometimes the shooting becomes secondary. Sorry I'm missing out.

Good luck guys!

PS: Watch out for that NASA guy, he likes to run around around shooting all the PD's.

Stiff Neck--You are right it is not all public but a lot of it is. Even a lot of the land that is fenced is public land that is used for sheep and cattle. I have the BLM maps of that area and there is a lot of public land.

stiff neck, I don't recall anyone saying that all the land up there was public. As was stated, a large amount of it is, but a good map will quickly clarify that. As Reb said, fences don't always mean private land. State and Federal agencies use them in trying to keep grazing animals and wildilfe from wandering on to roadways and other places they want to discourage them from going. All things considered, I can't imagine that a few hours spent on a few relatively easily accessed spots is indicitive of thousands of public acres. Seems a bit miopic, but I could be wrong.

The spots I have visited recently definately are not what they were a year or two ago, in terms of shooting oppurtunities. But for every square mile I have visited in the last few months, there's hundreds more that remain possibilities. Taking the well-worn paths and heading for the more obvious spots may no longer be an option for a few years. I'm sure the johnny-come lately's and those not willing to explore a little bit will tire of trying these areas shortly and mark it off their "honey-hole" list. And those areas hard hit will likely rebound in time. In the mean time, I will put a few more miles on the OD of the Dodge and see some beautiful country in the process.

claimbuster, I hate to see that now the chili... er, you won't be able to make it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I hope the reports of lack-luster prospects aren't to blame. It would appear not, judging from your last paragraph. But regardless the reason, I understand and will look forward to meeting you in person, somtime in the future.

Quote:
Okay, here's the list I've got so far: NASA, the fly, reb8600, USMC, pd-buster, COcajun, claimbuster, scattergunner, dukxdog, teesh.

Looks like were down a few more on the roster. I have pd-buster and claimbuster are definate "no's" at this point. COcajun, I hope you won't let a little thing like a busted scope disuade you from coming. Sounds like NASA's got a spare you could use. Anyway, I'm still planning on it and when NASA called and harassed me yesterday, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif he mentioned he was still "go" as well.

Speaking of the spare scope, i'll bring my extra 3x9 just in case CoCajun or anyone else needs it.

So far, i am dragging with me...

my varmint AR-15

small-bushy-2.jpg

my house ar-15 (for self defense and for spare parts if anything goes wrong on my varmint gun)

small-bushy-1.jpg

savage 17hmr, for shorter range and backup/guest varmint gun

small_verminator.jpg

Gun items and ammo, about 800 rounds for the AR's, 500-600 for the 17hmr, cleaning/repair kit, range finder, binoculars.

Food, water, air mattress, sleeping bag, camp stove, camp light, personal items, a few books.

Anything important that i am overlooking?

I think they were at one point. But then pd-buster made mention of some impending proposal whose deadline was looming in his not-so distant future, and stated he would be unable to attend. I don't recall USMC stating this would proclude his attendance, but perhaps it does. This thing may wittle down to two or three of us before the end of the week... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Back