Jan,Moon calling reports...The moons at 70% let the fun start..

Originally Posted By: ZBull Sprig, thanks I think I will tonite. How much does cloud cover limit your distance?

Depending on how thick the clouds are, it might limit your distance some. However, a lot of guys around here actually prefer the cloudy nights over the clear nights. I think you'll be able to see just fine with this moon over the next few days.

Vertigo, I have cloud cover, so, my question is what effect does it have and how much? Would I be wasting my time?

After a fun night of chasing around the country side. I had gray fox run right in front of my car in Buffalo on the way home. I almost hit it. Right in front of the Elim Care Center across from Strugis park. It ran from the lake into a residential neighborhood.

Now why couldn't he have sat down in front of me on one of our cold dry sets???

I'm one of those who prefere clouds while hunting under the moon at night. Reason is it washes the shadows away helping mask the approach into the set and making a better hide if I'm forced to sit in, Or place one of my partners in an open field with no cover.

On a bright clear moon lit night. You have a white side, Assuming you've got whites on, And a shadow side. The shodaw side is the bad side. You stick out like a black fly on white paper. If you're sitting against cover it does'nt matter but thats not always an option.

If a hunter is concerned about the clouds effecting his own visibility. It should'nt. Even on a clear night the object is to get the coyote to come accrossed an opening exposing itself. Clouds or not. It's still a black target comming accross a white field/Lake/pond. Clouds or not, If the animal does'nt come out of the woods/grass or even stands on the edge of it. You're not gonna see it unless you get lucky enough to catch movement.

You could always throw a pair of bino's around your neck too. I think Todd Stien does this even when he's hunting at night and it's somthing every caller should do, Hunting day or night.

I agree with Phil and I always have binos day or night. They pick up a ton a light to see them at long distances. Actually last night I spotted the coyote I shot in the binos well before he was in range. Last night was unreal for most people out including us. Mark, Travis and I made 4 sets, called in 5 animals. Unfortunately had some misses. 1st set I started calling, and a fox showed up in 1 min, spotted me and took off. Bang... miss. Keep calling and Mark shoots at a yote on his side....miss about 225 yds or so I guess. 2nd set- Sit down, Trav starts lip squeaking... bang miss. A fox at 248 steps. Now that we each missed one we head to the 3rd set- started calling, at about 10 mins in a yote shows up on my side, I whispered to Trav to get adjusted and take the shot. Trav is still looking for his first kill, so I wanted him to shoot bad. I started lip squeaking and so does Mark on the downwind side... I'm confused. Trav can't turn on him so I turn and bang...FINALLY SLAP! Mark starts barking and bang....Misses a runner out a ways. Mark had a yote coming hard to his lip squeaks the same time we had one working. Crazy night. Congrats to all that had luck last night. Hopefully it's good tonight and especially sat. I believe there will be 4 teams sat. I'll let every one know. A pic of a nice looking male, shot at 100 steps.
DSCF1837.jpg

Ben and Todd. Both your Coyotes look frickin beautiful. Nice, Full, Colored out Dogs. The one I photographed did'nt make it to the truck. Pretty scrappy.

You guy's have a great night tonight. I'll be trading moonlight for candle light tonight and getting rested up for the tourney tomorrow. Lookin forward to the reports.

Had a great night last night as well. It was around -7 where we were, clear skies, and hardly any wind. Only made 2 sets, had a coyote come in on the first stand about 200 yards out. Waited for him to come through the woods, he snuck up right behind me and I got busted as I tried to turn around.

Next stand had one come in after about 15 minutes of calling, he snuck in through some cedar trees and watched us from 40 yards away. As I turned to tell my partner to watch my right side, I see him and he's gone. We waited a bit longer and tried the e-caller some more, no more takers. On our way out we had 3 different packs of yotes howling at us and challenging each other. Pretty fun night, even though we didn't fire a single shot.

Z, I believe your question has been answered. The guys posting on this topic are the experts in this area. Kudos go to these gentleman and there wisdom on this topic. May the God of the wild hunt shed just the right amount of light on your next hunt.
VERTIGO

Z- Calling at night isn't alot different than daytime, if you would call in the wind during the day then I would at night also.

If i can see my cross hairs its bright enough to hunt. Clouds or no clouds the moon still puts off enough light to hunt. I also prefer clouds, as it can get to bright on the few days surrounding the full moon. I also prefer the early part of the moon, we do the best when we can go right after dark, but some areas do better in the 12am-4am times, not sure why though.

+1 for binocs. I don't hunt at night with out them. Few stands have been extended due to a late coming coyote that wouldn't have been seen with out them. Helps if they hang up way out to so you can see the reactions to different sounds.

Nice lookin dogs fellas, we are heading out tonight, got a few new spots today. I am excited, first night I have been able to get out this whole moon.

In with the first report of the night! Again. Jeeze you guys are slow
lol.gif

Took the scenic route home from dinner with the honey tonight. Saw a pair of yotes probly 3-400yds out. Let Jen watch them through the bino's for a short while before ripping them out of her hands so I could see
drool.gif

Ive been having a tough time lately...my season has consisted of a miss a talker and 2 spotted without a shot...last 10 sets have been dry. Any ideas on sounds or things of that nature?

Originally Posted By: bassinboy3Any ideas on sounds or things of that nature?
(Game show contestant tone of voice) I'll take "Things of that nature" for 100 points Bob!

The sounds you're using would be the least of my worries (Unless you're only using 1 or 2 sounds before leaving). Just about anything should work if the animals are in the mood. Wich they have been the last few nights. Focus on your setup. If you're confident in that then just be patient. Keep hunting. My entire last moon was a bust. 26 sets and only one kill by my partner. This moon has been crazy good though. Good things come to those who keep hunting.

Thats pretty good Phil. There should be a family feud game like that involving predator hunting. "Ok Jim for the steal and $10,000 give me one answer for: What do coyotes and fox have in common? That could be funny. 3 sets last night, only got one pack to sound off. Called it early for some needed rest. Good luck to everyone tonight.

Last edited:
Good stories! Got me fired up so I went out last night and tried two sets. Not very good sets but places i've killed coyotes before. No luck, not even a howl! I think a fox was circling on my second set but the buffalo were getting pissed and heading my direction so I had to get up. I hunt two buffalo pastures and a guys got to be careful, several times I've had them charge during distress sounds. Anyone use sirens to locate before calling?

Thanks Phil. Looks like youve been puttin the hurt on em lately. This is my first real winter of predator hunting so im anxious to get that kill under my belt...well not counting the handful ive shot while deer hunting that is.

Hit a new spot I gained permission for on Thursday night,had several talking back on far side of section (3 mile section). Stayed as long as I could before wimping out to the cold with no sighting.Didn't have permission on any adjacent land to move in on them,this spot will produce in the future.

Second spot was on a rock pile in a 150 yd wide clear area between standing corn and a tamarack swamp to the front wind at my 11 0'clock. Did the bunny blues for a bit and looked over my right shoulder in time to see a fox hitting the brakes so hard it's tail was straight up in the air and almost tipping him over undoubtedly hitting my scent. By the time I could get turned,check safety and get my fat gloved finger on the trigger he had the corn for a background and I couldn't find him in the scope. Sounded like one of my Brittanies busting through the corn after a crippled rooster on his way out.Heard him cussing me out about a half mile away after that. Had I a partner it would have been in his lap. Howled a few times to check for coyotes and glanced over my right shoulder and another fox was standing outside the corn about a 100 yds. away. I was facing totally wrong direction but could get it to move by lip squeaking,every time it did I moved into position.Just as it hit my scent I was able to get the scope on it and get a 100 yd. running shot off before he too reached the corn. Shot sounded good and was,he simply had so much momentum going he slid behind the corn before stopping.

Third set was on a huge hill with wooded ridge in front,open to left, deep low area with creek to right,wind at 3 o'clock. Didn't like the fact there was no cover where I sat but was committed since moving to the next spot to left wouldn't erase my scent trail. After doing distress calls switched to coyote and was really surprised not to hear any response,this was a coyote rich area. About 5 minutes after howling I hear movement to my right (and my hearing ain't that great anymore)but it's sooo quiet out. I slowly shifted into position and after several minutes out pops a coyote. Even though I wasn't silhouetted he still had me pegged with no other cover around and as I figured was very reluctant to leave the woods.He started to quarter downhill from me,not sure what his strategy was.Lip squeaked him to a stop at about 80 yds. Took the shot,no slap no kicking coyote in sight just sound of an escaping critter. Hit the ki yi but couldn't spot anything through the woods.Figured I somehow missed but found the one I shot at dead in it's tracks,must have been two of them.
Fourth set was only about a quarter mile away which is closer than I normally set up but this area was awesome looking.Hillside with a lake in front about a mile out swamp in between,tamarack swamp with creek at 10 o'clock wind at 8 o'clock. Figured with my elevation anything approaching downwind would offer a shot before spooking.Only bummer was couldn't see over ridge to my 7 o'clock where second shooter should be.Didn't mess with distress thinking they just heard the whole scenario a bit ago and went straight to coyote talk. After about 10 minutes I could hear tweety birds flushing from their roosts and shortly after something working it's way along the swamp. Unfortunately it was out of my sight where second shooter should have been. Never saw it or heard it leave,apparently it spotted me though,couldn't have scented me.

Fifth spot dry.

Sixth spot spooked a fox on way in.Snowshoes started to slap together figured it was time for rest.
Heading out again tonight after resting up,can't take two nights in a row anymore
frown.gif
Hopefully have a partner with this time.
Wanted to get some kill sight shots but camera refused to work in cold.

[img:center]
007.jpg
[/img]

Back