Jan,Moon calling reports...The moons at 70% let the fun start..

great job everyone and what a great January moon report. Glad to hear that your dad is coming home Chris i sure hope he gets better. There is nothing better then going out and taking care of a few preditors.

Here is the picture deaddogwalkin was trying to post. Sorry it took so long to get it up on the site. Picture is me with the dog I shot at about 175 yards. Back at my brothers shop.
DSC05188-1.jpg

Last edited:
Got out last night under cloudy skies. Could only see the coyotes through my binos (cross hairs virtually invisible), so I had to try my new lightforce light for the first time.

First call had a coyote come it about 15 minutes into the set. He came right into my buddies lap (who had the shotty) but he was also operating the light and couldn't do both the shooting and spotting at the same time. They yote bugged out to the next hillside. Geoff took the red lense off and gave him the white spot. He stood there long enough for me to get off a 125 yard shot and stoned him. Big male with an excellent pelt.

Second set had a yote follow the hillside about 275 out all the way around us. However Geoff couldn't pick him up the spot and he bugged out. Since it was our first sequence, I kept going and had two more come out on the same hillside. Once again Geoff couldn't locate them and even if he would have 275 would have been a poke with a light and a 223.

Third set got in and distress called. Had 3 packs all around us but no takers. When ever those packs open up I always get ready for some action, but rarely see any. haven't quite figured that out. Threw everything I had at them but to no avail. Any suggestions would be great. We stayed there for over 40 minutes.

Forth set was a dandy. Had a yote come in about 12 minutes into the set. lip squeaked him in from 300 to 100. Threw the Red light on him, he froze broad side.....and I missed. should have bumped the scope up since we were using a light instead of leaving it on low power. Looked like a real nice one. Shooting down hill and I shot over the top of him. I've called that spot 4 times in the last 2 years and called in 9 yotes got 3.

Had to call it after that because they were calling for snow and assumed we'd be out plowing all night and better get some sleep. Of course it never snowed, and we could have been calling all night. All in all a very productive night. We used the spot for the first time with great success, so hopefully we won't have to wait the 3 weeks between full moons and can go whenever we want. The lightforce worked flawlessly, and since we were only using the light for shooting not spotting, the battery lasted all night in the cold conditions and never showed signs of wearing down. Heading out again Sunday or Monday night. Mike

I know the guy's who shoot them outa air planes use 2 3/4" lead BB's. I'm assuming that would be more efficient than buck shot.

I use #4 Buck cause lead BB's are hard to find.

Mfreeman, I tried #4 buck once and only wounded a coyote, that I lost. Went to the HD B and BB after that. My friend shot one dead at 58 yards with #2 federal tungsten. Only 2 bbs entered it and killed it. It made a believer out of me.

Back