Jan,Moon calling reports...The moons at 70% let the fun start..

Thanks Phil, awesome job on the yotes! I am going to start hitting it tomarrow night and then keep on till we either lose the moon or the wind makes me quit.

Phil I think he meant by the coyotes, not personal breading activity.
laugh.gif

Nice work on the dogs boys, havent had anyone to head out with me the past few nights, but got a partner for this weekend for sure so planning on hitting it hard this weekend. This weather is gorgeous, might just have to head out by myself for a bit. Good luck all!

Guys, I hope your luck rubs off on us. Hunter00 and I will be out next two or three nights. I hope to bring good stories and some pics....got a bunch of new ground to try out. Good luck!

Originally Posted By: harkerPhil I think he meant by the coyotes, not personal breading activity.
laugh.gif

Oh
unsure.gif
............ Actually the answer is still yes then
grin.gif

Invited a budy of my fathers out for a couple sets tonight. Let the wind tame down a bit and started at about 8:30. This male came after about 20mins of calling and stood facing me directly in front of Ken (quartering towards Ken). Ken wasted little time delivering the chill pill. A perfect shot. 162 steps.

2nd set was a no go.

Spending the day tomorrow doin some spot and stalk. Conditions are lookin good for that. I'll keep ya posted....

We got two last night, I am stuck at work for the rest of the moon.

Was windy about 15mph here and cold. Both coyotes we got answered my howling and then we moved in on them. Both very nice big males. Both single, one took about 5 min and the other took about 30. Female whimpers and pup distress were the winners, the female invitation howls seemed to spark intrest also.

Way to guys.. Congrats...
thumbup.gif

Wish I could have made it out last night but spent my hole day and night in the E.R with my Dad..
cry.gif

Hope is he is doing better today heading up to see him soon...
Guess when times get ruff fam comes before anything else that's a fact in my book..
The coyotes will what for me im sure of that its a love hate thing with us..
tt1.gif
LMAO!!
lol.gif

Well if all goes well with Dad today Ill be heading out to night and hope to bag one or two more yup yup
w00t.gif

Sorry to hear about your dad Chris. Hope he gets well soon! I sent those ID cards out in the mail for you yesterday, so you should have them today. Hang in there, and we'll see you this weekend.

Hope your dad gets better soon New Coyote.
Phil as in the past seems like you can always call them in.
Wish I could, maybe this weekend. Still looking for number one.

Another stellar night shift.

Hooked up with Dutchboy. Made 5 sets with him and another by myself after dropping him off.

Killed two coyotes. Heard coyotes on 3 sets. Called in a coyote and a red fox within 2 mins of each other on the same set. Saw a 4-pack of yotes from the truck. I'm gonna keep this short cause I'm beat.

1st set was the good one. Had a coyote charge in hard early. He threw caution to the wind and paid the ultimate price. Was quick with the ky'yi's after killing the yote and a fox comes bombing in harder and closer than the frickin coyote. Course it did the typical fox thing. Would not stop for more than a split second and ended up twisting me into a pretzel forcing me to take and unsteady snap shot.
But a coyote died non-the-less.

The second coyote kill does'nt get a pic or story cause I cheated.

Was on the horn with most the guy's through out the night. More good stories on the way for sure.

Chris hope all is well with your dad!

Nice yote phil, so far you are on a roll this moon, hopefully this moon ends up being as better for me too, guess we will find out tonight. Good luck all.

I knew you were at it hard when you weren't answering your phone Phil! Our night was pretty eventfull too... Lot's of missing going on, but we called in five animals in five sets and saw one fox from the truck.

First set, called in a fox on my downwind during the first sound. It was about 300 yards straight down wind of me and never stopped running. Tried to bark it stopped, but no luck. Clean miss on a running shot.

Second set we called in a pair. They came straight down the fence line and the most visible one was about sixty yards just on my partners side of the fence. He couldn't get turned for fear of the coyote seeing him and I heard him mumble something about wishing he had a shotgun. I had seen enough, and made a quick turn to my left looking directly down the fence line now. The coyote hears my bipods on the crunchy snow and starts quartering away. I bark, but it doesn't stop so I shoot it on the run. I hear the slap, but it is still running. The second yote now made himself visible from the brush and I hit the Crack howler to stop it. It does at about 250, and my partner has it in his scope. Bang, miss! Over the hill it went. All of that in less than two minutes on stand. I walked out to my shot and there is blood everywhere. My coyote was laying about a hundred yards from my shot. Turns out I hit it a little far back because of the quartering away shot. One nice male down.

IMG_1638-copy.png

Third set we called in another fox on my partner's side. He said it had to be 400 yards out there. He was able to get it to stop, but another clean miss and we were on to set number four.

Fourth was dry.

Fifth set we called for a while and had one come in on my partner's side again after a couple howls on the Crack howler. We both saw it about the same time and we tried to lip squeek it out of the timber line. It didn't want to come any closer after a while of trying, so my partner tried a shot. Missed again! Someone needs to head to the range!

Last edited:
Made it out last night wit Hunter00. Great night of calling with lots of action.....I'll let him post, cause he had the hot had..and almost a lap full of coyote.

Had a really good night with Chris, his brother Taylor, and Nick. First set took a while for it to show up. It ended up in front of Nick at about 100 yards from him I could here him racking the bolt on the gun, he had some gun promblems. After the third noise from him and the coyote staring him down I turned and we ended up shooting simultaneously. One coyote DRT!
The second set I called for about 5 minutes when I heard Chris bark, followed by a shot, continuted to call for another few minutes and he got a nice little red fox.
On the third set we spotted a fox heading toward the cover we were going to call. Well we had a fox barking at us the entire set. He was moving just inside the tree line, but never presented a decent shot, tried everything I could think of to get it to come out but nothing. Heard a couple howling on that set.
Fourth set we tried a lake calling with the wind at our back. I never thought I would feel badly for killing a coyote, but my good intention backfired. Taylor doesn't have a rifle so I sat him next to me and gave him my rifle to use. Well after about 10 mintues of calling Tayor says "there's two right there." I look to my left and there is a pair that came from across the road, standing on the ice 40 to 50 yards from use with there eyes glued on the decoy. Well they started to move down wind and I kept telling him to shoot, knowing they are going to wind us any second. I waited about as long as I dared before I let fly with some buckshot. Both animals take off doing 50 mph across the ice, with 3 guns blazing. I went to look for blood and thought I could see something laying on the ice at least 400 yards away. So I started walking and sure enough it looks like I got some lead into the boiler room.
I've wanted to kill one with a shotgun for a long time, but I sure wish I could do that one over again, because I still can't even smile about it yet. It would have been nice for Taylor to get his first.
The last set was dry.
I'm sure Chris will post the pics when he wakes up.

Gentlemen, excuse my ignorance, but are you guys shooting without a spotlight? I have never done that before. And it seems like you see coyotes from quite a ways off in the moonlight. We have too much cloud cover and it isn't supposed to clear for a few days, but I have a couple of good spots I would like to try.

We aren't using any lights at all. Last night was clear and calm. We are completely covered up with snow. The moon was so bright I had a hard time looking directly at it last night. You can easily see an animal even at long yardage. Give it a try!

Z,we have Ideal conditions right now,the full moon falling on the weekend, you can see your shadow at any given time through out the night .A stable high pressure system hence low winds and no cloud cover,combined with possible signs of the yotes pairing up . It don't get much better in these parts of the country.Now we have to get out and execute the plan...

Back