How many groundhogs for 2008?

Quote:
8 so far. Looks like that is it for me, i'm moving to Idaho in one week, gonna try Rockchucks if I can find a place to go....

=============================================
Lucky dog!!!!!!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
Good luck, and enjoy yourself out in God's country.
Be careful and stay clear of any meth labs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif!!
F1

I got a small male last Friday evening about 7:00 around 160 yards according to the Nikon. Only seen 2 from 3:00pm-8:00pm. I must have walked all the field perimeters 3 times glassing them for targets.

Sadly alot of farmers got corn in the better fields (by the creeks) this year on farms I hunt. Some will migrate to the beanfields but, not all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Not many hay fields on the farms I hunt either. I'm heading out after a bite to eat here. Between being stuck on dayshift and all the corn it's not looking good this year.

Beans are starting to sprout, hay is being cut, and Blueridge Boy and I shot 4 this evening, two apiece. Makes only 15 for me so far, but I've got two more days left to hunt over this weekend /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
F1

I killed 3 today! My first 3 of the year!! Had the opportunity to kill 5 more, just bad shooting and no opportunities to shoot!! Hopefully will have a few more tomorrow and monday!!! HOPEFULLY!! I will post pictures tomorrow!

Andrew

Quote:
Flyrod, don't give out the Foxpro groundhog calling secret. Those Foxpro's will call anything, including concerned neighbors /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif.

That secret has been out of the bag for years. lol! It does work good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Here are four of the five i killed this weekend! First 5 of the year!! Killed all with the 220 Swift!!

3hogs.jpg

This one was 26 inches and 16 pounds!! Shot at 250 yards!!
1hog.jpg

I tested the old back Monday, hiked about 2 miles in the tall grass. The farmer had just cut a few fields and was raking a few more. I took the new SPS 243. I saw 2 groundhogs, shot twice and killed both. Pretty good initiation for the Remington. One was 200yds and the other was 50yds. Those 65 gr. V-maxes are brutal. The 200yd one had an entrance the size of a 50 cent piece and no exit, the second one lost his mind, literally /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. The fields should be prime next week while I'm on vacation /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. That puts me at 12.

I like that stock there 7mnRM. I got 4 yesterday, but it should have been much more. I killed 3 with my 243 SPS and 1 with my Ruger single six .22LR pistol. I had a bullet stick in the chamber and the case extracted when I tried to unload. Apparently there is a difference between kissing the lands with the bullet and an all out lip lock /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif. I resorted to spot and stalk (crawl /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif) pistol hunting until I found the farmer and borrowed a cleaning rod to remove the bullet. I think the seating may have been hurting my accuracy. I couldn't hit anything past 100 yds with my rifle. Hopefully range testing today will fix it now that all my bullets are set back to published COL. Only one picture, the 65 gr. v-maxes are very brutal. The total is 16 for the year, ten with the AR, 5 with the 243 SPS, and 1 with the pistol.
PICT0033.jpg

Got 2 more yesterday. Shot the one when it stuck its head our of it hole at about 90 yards, and the other i shot off a brush pile at about 130 yards. Brings me up to 31!!

Added 3 more to the count today. Nothing huge, a couple 7-8 pounders and a 15-17 pounder. All 3 head shots, 2 of them at 275 yards and the other at 30 yards.

Got another yesterday. Sitting on Dads back porch, enjoying the weather, view, and a cold LandShark. 308, 175VLD@ 2750FPS- 145YRDs
100_1049.jpg

Saw a few more so I called a pard to get in on the action...
223,60VMAX @3000FPS 138YRDs
100_1050.jpg

100_1053.jpg

I took 6 more yesterday, 5 with the 17 and 1 with the MKII Ruger pistol. The pistol one got back to the hole avoiding pictures. Most were around 75 yds and under. I did hit one about 125 yds and had to use a couple more finishing shots. Here are a couple of pics.
PICT0061.jpg

PICT0072.jpg

This must be why 6mm06(David) calls them pasture grizzlies.
PICT0073.jpg

Are groundhogs and rockchucks the same thing?/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif...sorry I have never seen one cause Ive lived in Texas my whole life

just killed my fourteenth 'chuck this year a few days ago. . . finally got my new (to me) ruger 77/22 bloody! no pics yet, as i am new to the forum and haven't got that far yet. . . .

Quote:
Ive seen a couple here but I dont think they will be out full force for another month.

haven't seen too many ground hogs down here where i live. Where axactly do you find ground hogs.?

smokin250-
not sure if its the same in ohio as it is here in NY, but i do most of my chuck hunting around hay fields, its best right after they've been cut. . . also look for cabbage fields, bean fields. . . just about any vegatable will draw in the chucks. use a good pair of bino's and glass along field edges, hedgerows, etc. i usually have my best luck about an hour or two before dark, as it starts to cool off. if the dey time temps are reasonable, it is possible to see chucks out all day, however. the main rule is that chucks will be found near food and cover, and they like to eat the same things as a cow, more or less. hope this helps, and good luck!

Back