How many groundhogs for 2008?

Stormbringer do you need a Utah smallgame liscence to shoot rockchucks or are they like coyotes and no permit needed?

Ggot 3 more this morning by 9am, bringing me up to 38 so far. Furthest one shot was a tad over 600 yards. Got a little arial action out of one at around 20 yards trying to hide.

I'm new here, I've got 5 so far and my daughter has taken 2 so far but were working on more. We saw 5 on Fri. I took one tried to set her up on 2 of the others but they wouldn't corporate with us.

I bagged number 14 yesterday and Flyrod1 scored his 17th. Breaking that 13 number was bad karma. Clipped a fence wire in the process. Two hours of fence supply shopping and fence fixing, we were back on the hunt again. Seems like a shortage of hogs this year in Cenral VA. I think they all got wise and moved to the highway right of ways. Record for the year is 280 yds. so far.

Blueridgeboy

I hunted Friday evening and Saturday morning up in Idaho. We hunted three properties and killed 51 chucks, 90 squirrels and two badgers.

We hunted with my new 17 Remington Fireball, my Marlin 17V 17 HMR and my Savage 220 Swift. My companion was shooting a 12 gauge shotgun.

I managed to take 9 chucks off one pile at 380 yards with 10 shots with the Swift. You just gotta love an accurate Swift for chucks.

This takes my chuck total up to 152 for the year.

Bear - in Utah you can hunt chucks with out a license. In Idaho you must buy a small game license or a non-game gun license.

Mike.

Quote:
I hunted Friday evening and Saturday morning up in Idaho. We hunted three properties and killed 51 chucks, 90 squirrels and two badgers.

We hunted with my new 17 Remington Fireball, my Marlin 17V 17 HMR and my Savage 220 Swift. My companion was shooting a 12 gauge shotgun.

I managed to take 9 chucks off one pile at 380 yards with 10 shots with the Swift. You just gotta love an accurate Swift for chucks.

This takes my chuck total up to 152 for the year.

Bear - in Utah you can hunt chucks with out a license. In Idaho you must buy a small game license or a non-game gun license.

Mike.

Mike, didn't I see a bumpersticker on your truck "Rockchucks Fear my Name" ? They have good reason.

"Clipped a fence wire in the process. Two hours of fence supply shopping and fence fixing, we were back on the hunt again."
======================================================
If I'd had this on video, I could be a lot richer by now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
F1

Blueridgeboy and I added three more yesterday evening. My second was a half grown hog at 357 yds., lasered, with the 204.
That puts me at 19, boy this year is slow around here for dirt pigs!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
F1

i'm up to 22 for the year, as i added one last night. should have had several more, but i was trying to give them sporting chances by firing warning shots. . . . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

I finally broke my missing streak, got 3 more tonight. . . up to 25 for the year. . . although i had to get my barrel wamed up with a couple warning shots /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Put #20 down this afternoon with the Swift. We lasered one at 680 yds, so I had to try him with the 204 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif, twice!
The first shot hit about 20 yds in front of the hog and a couple feet left.....too much windage! Second shot was good on the windage, but still a couple feet in front of the hoggie. He didn't wait around for a third shot! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif
F1

Worst year in a long time. Shot number #27 the other day with the new 17 Ackley Hornet. Usually in the 40's or 50's by now, just ain't happening this year. The last ten that I've killed were either with the Browning Micro Hunter 22 Hornet or the Browning 17 Ackley Hornet.

I hit 31 on friday, going out again today. . . i've been seeing a ton of 'em. Pruson, you like that browning? i've been carrying my ruger 77/22 hornet, and sure does knock 'em down out 100, 150 or so. . . great walk around gun!

I got 3 more over the past week, including one i got tonight. Those of you who like the splater factor and shoot a 22-250 for the pasture poodles, try the sierra 53gr match HP.Ii was running them at about 3750 fps and it turned them inside out.

Blueridgeboy and I saved some soybeans this evening /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
We got three apiece and I messed up the wheels on another, but he made it into the hole so it was not counted.

P7110003.jpg

P7110008.jpg

We decorated a fence so the farmer could see that we'd been on the job saving his beans. Coyotes will probably have them by morning!
F1

Click on the pics for a larger look see /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Two so far for the year.
Can't let you boys have all the fun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Quote:
Got another yesterday. Sitting on Dads back porch, enjoying the weather, view, and a cold LandShark. 308, 175VLD@ 2750FPS- 145YRDs
100_1049.jpg

Saw a few more so I called a pard to get in on the action...
223,60VMAX @3000FPS 138YRDs
100_1050.jpg

100_1053.jpg

Hey 7mnRM, looks like a good front porch to be on,.... got room for more? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back