How many groundhogs for 2008?

Flyrod1

Time to start the groundhog running tally thread for this year! My partner and I got a late start this afternoon, but got one apiece, before the rain started.
I'll shoot them early on farms that may gas them if I don't keep them under control, but will wait until after a litter is weaned on my "sport hunting" farms.
Let's keep this one going............
F1

I've seen several out in the fields on my way home from work this week... grabbed the rifle up Wed. evening and took a walk in the field out back, checked the usual spots but didn't see any. I can't wait to get this season broken in! Sam

I have seen 5 already along the side of the road. We need to get some more snow melted before I start going after them. In three more weeks they should be out in force up here.

Seen a bunch out Thursday. I need to get the AR and the RCBS fired up and get after them. Need to top 45 this year.

heres my first one for 08 .and my first kill with my 17 fireball. 16.5 h4198 25 grain vmax did this fellow in. only about 100yd shot but im happy . [image]http://
Picture016.jpg
[/image]

Today's batch:

P3150133-1.jpg

I took this today for the Groundhog/Foxpro thread..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
F1

Two thus far for me. I would have had a third last night until the farmer came along, and not knowing I was watching the busy den, he decided to stick his foot in the hole for whatever reason. He just hates 'em so much....ha! It kills him to find an active den. He knew I was on the farm, but I was camo'd up and had to stand up to wave him off. I think he was a little embarrassed that he didn't see me.
I killed 22 on his farm last year, and in the Fall, I helped him fill in all the holes. This year, every hole we filled in last year has been dug out again. Needless to say, he gives me free reign to come and go as I please and his wife is always feeding me supper. It's a deal for me!

I'm out to top my total of 35 from last year. Looks like we have our work cut out for us if we're going to catch up with Flyrod.

cngerms,
I ended up with 103 last year, but I doubt I'll get close to that this year. The first half of last year's season I mostly hunted alone, which accounted for higher numbers. The second half of the year was mostly shared with a hunting partner, and we alternate shots, thus my total potential will be cut in half. It's as much fun to watch your buddy whack 'em as to shoot them yourself! Especially if he misses!!! Oh the ribbing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif
We've gained a lot more territory to hunt, but so far none of it appears to be prime hoggin' ground.
F1

Flyrod, don't give out the Foxpro groundhog calling secret. Those Foxpro's will call anything, including concerned neighbors /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif.

I got my first one yesterday. I was on my way home after a beverage run when I saw him(little guy) run out of his hole into the ditch through a culvert. I was only 1/8 mile from my driveway. Ran into the garage, grabbed my .204, went back and couldn't find him. I looked in the mud in the ditch and found his tracks. He crawled into a hollowed out tree and was looking up at me through a 5" hole. I couldn't get him to come out so I stuck my barrel in the hole, leaned back, and WHACK! That 40 grain Hornady V-Max at point blank really opened him up. He was only about 9 or 10 pounds and really tan. I'm in north central Ohio and have 3,500 acres to hunt if anyone's interested. I can't kill em all on my own. I got roughly 40-45 last year with my .17hmr/.300 win mag.

Quote:
heres my first one for 08 .and my first kill with my 17 fireball. 16.5 h4198 25 grain vmax did this fellow in. only about 100yd shot but im happy . [image]http://[/image]

you are pretty close to my neck of the woods! Nice shootin!

Ok Flyrod....do tell....what sounds are ya using to bring in the groundhogs??? My foxpro didn't get much use this past winter, so I'd love to be able to get the ground hogs stirred up with it this spring and summer....what's the secret recipe? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Back