How many groundhogs for 2008?

Must be a different part of the state than where I am from then DAA. I stand corrected. We have quite a few hogs around here in PA, and I have yet to break 100 in a year myself. I'm sure there are guys who do, but I never imagined those numbers even existed in my home state. Calleo or simpson springs areas maybe....or maybe even ibapah....

Quote:
...I never imagined those numbers even existed in my home state...

Well... I confirmed that Stormbringer really gets those kind of numbers. I didn't say anything about which state he does most of his 'chuck hunting in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif.

But! My own personal best day ever, was in Utah. I wasn't going to post about it, because I think there are going to be alot of guys think I'm full of crap. But, I know I'm not, and so do a few other guys here, so what the heck... We did not actually keep track of how many we got that day (in 1998), so I can't say exactly what our total for the day was. But I know how many rounds of ammo we fired - and it was 350 (we ran out...). Our hit ratio was pretty good, too. I think we conservatively killed at least 150 chucks that day, between two of us. It might have been closer to 200, but like I said, we did not keep count so I'm really not sure. I'm sure that is going to sound like total B.S. to some, but, it ain't.

That was on private ground. A place my buddy took me to. So I've never gone back and hunted it again (he took me there, it's his spot). I was there two years ago doing something else and saw chucks running around everywhere. I don't think it would be hard to get permission to hunt there. But, like I said - my buddy took me there, it's his spot, I ain't gonna mess with it.

On public ground in Utah, the last few years, 30 between two of us is a pretty good day. I'd say average for us is probably more like 15 - 20. That's between two shooters. We usually make the journey to neighboring states when I'm able to go though - the numbers are much better.

- DAA

I think my personal best day was 7. We walk the big wide open farm fields here, set up and glass. All of our shots are from the prone off of bipods, and are anywhere from 100 to as far as we can try to figure the math.

It would be cool to even have the chance to shoot at 50 in a day....sounds like I am at the wrong end of the country to see numbers like that. DAA you don't have anything to prove, when you say you did what ya did...well it sits fine with me and I believe it. Explaining my side, I hope you can appreciate why I was concerned that the guy may have been trying out some desert cactus in a pipe....peyote I think they call it....right? Anyhow, I'll be quiet now and just watch. Have a good one, and don't overbook November, I am plannin a coyote trip back home there. Peace... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

up to # 4 today should be # 5 but missed one last sat. oh well i will get him later. [image]
Picture-1.jpg
[/image]

Went out for a little while yesterday, Got 3 more brings the total to 8. All I can say is a 243 with 55gr BST's are down right NASTY.

TJ

Got 4, but it was ugly. I finally figured out that the sling stud was loose that the bipod was mounted to and I was shooting 5" high at 100 yds. The good news was that I was right on around 350 to 400 yds /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif.

Poodles were hard to come by yesterday. My partner got one the hard way, and I missed one at 438 yds.... misjudged the crosswind by a couple inches! Got more permissions on additional properties and made a couple stands after dark.......no coyotes showed, but the foxes couldn't stay away! We let the foxes walk on this property, but it was fun making fools of them! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
F1

Went out on Saturday with my Dad only saw about 20 or so most on private but in the few hours we were out. I shot 3. I'm going to hit it harder in a few more weeks when the young ones are out.

Got 4 this past weekend.First kill of the year was at 176yds with the 22-250.The rest was around 100 to 125yds.The last one shot was with a H&R single shot 223 with a 4x40 nikon at about 50yds.

Got four more Saturday. Shot two Saturday morning on public land in Idaho. Both shots were at 175 yards shooting a CZ Varmint in 204 Ruger. Played in a golf tournament Saturday afternoon (took 2nd place) then stopped at a spot on my way home in Utah and shot two more around 7:15 pm.

One was a big fella and the 40 grain vmax slugged a big hole into him at 155 yards.

Mike

Quote:
IN Utah...???? I think you are smokin some good stuff....share it would ya? 200-700 per year...come on dude....

Yes...Utah, also Wyoming and Idaho. My best day was 106 and Stormbringer's done that and more least a couple times. He shoots a lot of them and 200-700 is no exaggeration......Mike doesn't exaggerate about this stuff anyway. These are rockchucks, not woodchucks, and there can be a whole bunch in one area.

Went out weds. to a friends property 4hrs. and we killed 10 total. Puts me at 13 as of now. The sun is shining and its 70 degrees, so why am I sitting in front of this computer?

TJ

Shot 5 yesterday. Shortest shot was 50 yards, furthest was 503 yards. That gets me up to 23 for the year so far. All groundhogs were shot with my 22-250 with 40gr V-maxes.

I shot 6 more this Friday afternoon. No pic's, too much walking and too much junk to carry, plus I was racing the sun for time. Hunted a new spot with the wife's cousin after work. By the time I raced home grabbed my ammo and gear and got out I only had a couple hours before dark. I killed one at 398 paces facing me with 1 shot. That's 10 for the year all with the AR. TDAVIS, I'm loving that Ace stock you recommended. It is much more comfortable than my A2.

Blueridgeboy and I went to a new spot this afternoon. The grass and weeds were too high to see much, but we got three. No pics.....one that Brb. shot with a 22-250 and 60 grain Bergers would have definitely violated the graphic pics rule!!!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
I'm off to a slow start, but will get rolling soon!
F1

Added another one this afternoon, then got cut short and run off by some really nasty storms! This one put me in double digits.
F1

DAA and I made it out for some chuck hunting. We hunted in a unique way to start the day. We did some chuck control at a golf course using shotguns. I was driving and Dave was literally riding shotgun as we killed 27 chucks in two and a half hours. It has been a long time since I shot the scatter gun and the smell of shotgun powder brought back some fond memories from my youth. #6 shot is quite effective on chucks out to 50 yards!

We then went to some public land and shot 10 more shooting a CZ 204 Ruger and a Remington custom 22-250 AI. All these shots were off shooting sticks while standing. This is not my usual method of shooting but we did manage a very respectable hit ratio considering the winds picked up near the end of shooting this spot.

We finished the day on some private land and did most of the shooting off the hood of the truck. We killed 14 more chucks for a total of 51.

Weather was fantastic as was the company.

I will post a couple pictures later.

Mike.

Back