How many groundhogs for 2008?

f1 im with you let them hatch and more targets later most farmers frown on this but i sorta like having more moving targets later on in the year i usually account for about mid 40s yearly. I did have a couple of orchards that were full of the little pasture poodles but lost them to hunting leases. My numbers were quite different when i had orchards Ron

Ron,
I grew up in Winchester, and hunted Frederick, Clarke, and Shenandoah counties hard! there were a couple years I went well over 300. We had a picture of Grover Larrick on the wlll in the gunshop with 1082 poodle tails nailed to a wall, all killed in one year! Places I hunted when I was a kid now have million dollar homes all over them.
I still have some places to hunt just outside Berryville, but there's a subdivision adjoining the property now and I have to be more careful than ever.
F1

ccvvvvvv
MVC-109S.jpg

This is my long range set up. Laying on the ground getting eaten by bugs,ants and ticks is no option. My friend killed over 150 groundhogs out to 1200 yards with this setup.

cc
MVC-111S.jpg

Last edited:
Lone Star Field Products (SPEC-REST), 6.5 x 284 caliber, Stole Panda action, Hart Barrel, Jewel Trigger, Fluted barrel, Schmidt and Bender 5X25 power police marksman scope with 40% to 70% power booster ,special adjustable cheek piece, mcmillion custom stock (MY WIFE PICKED THE COLOR DON"T BLAME ME), Cheap chair. Rifle shoots 3/8 inch group with 48 grains of H4831SC powder. Laupua brass, Federal primer, Serria Match King 142 grain bullet. The bases are tapered at 40%. This a 1500 yard rifle. Energy of bullet at 1500 yards is still around 400 foot pounds and moving at 1100fps. Rifle weights about 20lbs. This is the ultimate long range set up. Very little recoil, good down range dope and i can spot my own hits to make corrections. Plus, i hate laying in the dirt getting eaten and bit by ants, bugs and ticks. I am a rep for the Spec-rest and the Booster lens. HOWS THAT?

Last edited:
our record is 38 groundhogs killed off one hill on 8 hours.
200 yards to 1100 yards. yes, we missed a bunch. the key is good optics and a great rifle rest sitting in comfort. My wife and i shot about 3200 223 caliber shells in 4 days on SD Prairie Dogs. YES, we missed a bunch there also. lol

Last edited:
That's some impressive numbers for that cal at 1000yards, It might be the next cal I buy. If it's going 1500fps at 1000yd then thats faster then my 338win with a 300gr moving 1450fps at 1000yd and probly a lot less hurt shoulder too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
Nice looking gun too

Last edited:
Yea, that's really cool and really serious. I'm going to check out those boosters online.

Thanks for sharing with us!!!

Another group i shot today same rifle 4x Optical Booster. Groundhogs are in trouble. 200 yards

cv
MVC-114S.jpg

Last edited:
Back