Coyote hunting in Maine...

all i will say is it takes a lot of time and patience, a little luck is very helpful also but is is all worth it when all of a sudden THERE IS A COYOTE. best of luck to all.

I have been out a couple times opening night i had some eyes but couldent tell if it was a yote though. Im out of ellsworth hunt hancock and washington counties.

I hunt up around green lake alot. same story here. seen a few eyes but nothin that really wanted to come out. Theres a ton of yotes up there, but I think quite a few people are callin and baitin em in the area so there a little callshy.I have'nt really got into the swing of it yet this year though.

i'm hunting around bucksport, orland, surry,and north of ellsworth. i think the dogs know more about me than i know of them. i've been laid up for 2 months and just getting back to it. just gotta keep trying,good luck guys. one of my friends got 3 in 4 days on his bait a few days ago.
don

Just pulled all my yote sets yesterday and rebaited one of my bait site. Need to do a little stand work on it and ready to kill a yote with a bow. Ive managed 8 yotes this year trapping and time to change tactics. Bought some new mouth calls and done alot of research. I just need some snow to fall and im ready for some fun. Trying to figure a good way to use a couple damaged yote pelt as decoys. Im learning tanning so im sure i can come up with some thing. It's just gona be a blast learning to hunt and call these critters. Looking for my first kill calling and first bow kill over bait.

My wife and I are considering moving to Maine. I see this is an old post, but I'm wondering who is still hunting predators in Maine, and where. I know most people think of retiring in the south, but not us. I'll be on disability retirement in the near future from an on the job injury, and checking out our options. Any new info would be greatly appreciated.

centurion, i'm doing a lot of calling still. i haven't had any luck lately but i'm trying i'm in eastern maine near Ellsworth, where are you ?
don

Hey Leatherneck-- I'm in upstate New York right now. We visit the Freeport area as often as we can, and hope to again in late June if not sooner. We love Maine, and would start by renting in a rural area if it was possible. It's difficult to do much searching on line for me. I see you're a marine. I was in the ARMY at the end of the Viet Nam War, but only got as far as Germany.

Originally Posted By: Redfox AdventuresAnyone from Aroostook, Northern Penobscot, Northern Washington Counties.
I hunt southern and mid Washington county.

Originally Posted By: CenturionDo you have a lot of coyotes in Maine? What other predators are there to hunt?
There are areas with good coyote populations. We also have bobcats,red fox and gray fox down south. We also have bears. Thoe I have not talked to anyone that has called one in Maine its common in other states that have far less then we do.

Last week I was out scouting around for places to hunt this fall/winter and decided to call some yotes before sun went down. I was just north of Bethel on some logging roads. Called for 30mins heard one yote but never saw him. When I stood up to leave a small black bear came out of the bushes behind me about 30yds. Must have come to the call? Soon as he saw me he bolted across the trail. Never worried about running into black bears. Everyone always told me I'd never see one unless I baited. This one was young though. Amazing how fast they move for a big critter.

sbf, congrats on your coyote -- sorry to see the mange -- glad this thread got resurrected--thanks -- has some good reading -- i love maine it is a great state in so many ways. we camp out on owls head in the summer --- coyotes are there -- feels like home -- we listen to them yap, yap, yap late at night.

Im from aroostook county, there running all over here, ive been out as much as possible but ive been so busy lately and my Foxpro had broke for 2 weeks. I just got it back yesterday. I didnt shoot anything yet this year but weve definetly heard them howling around us. I use a 22-250 with a FoxPro spitfire

forest parker i'm from the bucksport area and we've been getting quite a few,i got one on my bait last night. between trapping and hunting/calling we got more than 80 last year from this local area. tracks have been scarce for a while. i don't know how much of a dent that number makes in the population.
don

Back