Coyote hunting in Maine...

Heh-heh...the classic "got useless in Eustis" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. So far, I'm shootin' my usual score...a big fat goose egg. I'm hoping to do some double-duty while tree huggin' later this week.

I cant do the crown anymore, I am good with just a few brewskis just takes me a little longer to become useless.I might get out and try and call a little this weekend if it isnt pouring again.

Sounds good RabidHunter, i'll sign for sure. I've never been into coon hunting, but would love to give it a shot. Keep me posted...

Quote:
OK guys fill in this newbee on calling in Maine. What type of cover do you find the most productive? I get hung up in watching these guys on TV and videos calling all this open country. How are you calling and are you hunting with a partner and if so where is he? What is the response like? Response to stand raitio? How do you guys go about selecting your stands? Do you ride the roads checking for fresh tracks then sneek in and call? Which season have you found to be better?

OK OK I will stop just anxious to learn here and thanks a BUNCH for any info.

Yea, no kidding. I'm in NH and have the same problem. First is finding any land that might hold coyotes that you can get permission to hunt. Then trying to figure out how to hunt it. The biggest clearin I typically see is about 1/3 acre. All these tapes where they can see for miles in every direction - that's fantasy land for us NH hunters.

Anyone in NH that wants to go hunting, send me a PM. I have a good spot in central NH with dogs, but in 2 years, we've never been able to call one in to the open to shoot. They have charged us several times, but by the time we see them, they're back in the bush.

I'm open to help and/or suggestions. I'm not too shy to try and learn from someone smarter than I am /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quote:
Omega,

We need to connect this winter and give it a shot. Maybe Mike can get lucky...

Don't recognize your handle. David?

I'm looking to go out next weekend so if you know a place, I'll go with you.

no not really. i dont know of anything in this area. im going to do some hunting in the durham area a freind of mine heard some dogs last night so were going to give it a try with some calling. i dont think these dogs have been hunted at all. so it should be successfull hopefully. what part of lewiston r u from?

I live right in town for the time being, buying a new house soon and I will be moving to the outskirts of Lewiston Auburn. There are some good places in Durham as well as Sabattus and Lisbon. I do a lot of calling in Sabattus and Lisbon.

we should get together and do some hunting. ive only been hunting dogs for a year. still learning the calling thing. would be nice on get some hands on hunting with some one that knows what there doing.

Yes YES !! another flatlander moving to MAINE BRownville area.I thought this was legal to do if I stayed north of Bangor.I don't want to upset the MASS-HOLES Downstate!!! HA

Quote:
Yes YES !! another flatlander moving to MAINE BRownville area.I thought this was legal to do if I stayed north of Bangor.I don't want to upset the MASS-HOLES Downstate!!! HA

Be carefull what you say. I'm born and raised in this state and been all over it. I'll tell you that real S. Mainers aren't the problem.......its OUT OF STATERS that come in and want to change things the way they were back home. Thats the real problem. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Quote:
Quote:

Be carefull what you say. I'm born and raised in this state and been all over it. I'll tell you that real S. Mainers aren't the problem.......its OUT OF STATERS that come in and want to change things the way they were back home. Thats the real problem. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

I'll +1 that statement in a BIG way...He's right Swamp...that's like us headin' down to 'tucky and then yappin' about how good Jack Daniels is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mainer here to washington county. Shoot a few coyotes here and there with my foxpro fx3. I use a Bushmaster predator rifle and a Bushy M4 with Eotech. Hey Mongo are you also on Maine Hunting Forums?

Just found this thread,quite a bunch of yote chasers here.I live in Gray and have been trying but nothing yet.only been out once this winter though.I,ve done ok up in the County and in TX(military time).I,ve just gotten more serious about this the last couple of years.The biggest problem down here is the frozen crusty snow conditions from rain/snow mixes then freez-ups,VERY noisey.They have to hear you a looong way off.Been trying to learn the howling stuff.I don,t think there is as many right around here as there used to be,very spotty.I would'nt mind hooking w/one of you somtime.I'm 63 but in good shape & could keep up(if ya don't run)LOL

I called in maine 2 years ago about 20+ miles north of Patten. the fox came in on a string but I could not get any yotes. did have something real big come in on the thick stuff at 30 or so yards and left in a hurry when it busted me. never saw it but as quite as it was comin in made up for it leavin LOL. I may be back up there this comin year.

redcloud welcome, for not having many coyotes they are sure leaving enough tracks. I cant drive down a road in the midcoast without their tracks ontop of tracks. I have been hearing that up in the county they seemed to have thinned out though.

Live in central Maine & have been hunting coyotes for several years; started over bait, but find calling to be much more interactive & just plain fun.Found nite hunting to be exciting but much more difficult than during the day. Have hunted in the Windsor,Belgrade/New Sharon & Solon areas and up above Rockwood near Pittston Farms, where I keep a camper.In areas where turkeys are present I will often start sets off with some hen calls for a minute or so and then 5 or 10 minutes later switch to rabbit in distress calls. Just started trying/using 'misting'(mixed fox,coyote,bobcat & rabbit urine in atomizer), but no luck yet. Going up above Rockwood again this weekend to give it another try. Usally use a .223 bolt gun, but recently purchased an R15 in .223 and am waiting for the glass to get in so I can give it a try too.Visitor to this site for years, & member before under a different server/e-mail address;great site!! Happy hunting.

Back