Coyote hunting in Maine...

Putting away the deer hunting gear and getting out the calls now, headed out at night in a couple weeks.

Originally Posted By: leatherneckWhat part of maine are you from Bax?

Im in Durham, near Brunswick/Freeport/Lewiston. A lot of yotes around here... got em on my gamecam with in 300 ft of the house. I wanna bait em in, not sure how calling works around here as far as what sounds and where the better places to set up are.

Originally Posted By: BaxMaineOriginally Posted By: leatherneckWhat part of maine are you from Bax?

Im in Durham, near Brunswick/Freeport/Lewiston. A lot of yotes around here... got em on my gamecam with in 300 ft of the house. I wanna bait em in, not sure how calling works around here as far as what sounds and where the better places to set up are.

I am in Auburn, but im very familiar with your area, I grew up in Lisbon/Sabattus. I hunt out your way quite a bit, calling will bring them in, and so will the bait! My dad and I are going to be putting out a few baits in lisbon if you are interested in sitting on one!

I thought about doing a bait pile out on our land, we have 50 acres just off rt9. I put out what was left after butchering a roadkill deer a few weeks ago, they didnt touch it the first night, but the second night they had dragged the whole thing about 150 ft from where I put it originally. Guess Im going to have to dig a hole or tie that stuff to trees.
What calls do you find work best? I made a call from a link off this site, sounds decent, just gotta download the right sounds now.

one thing i use is the anchor made to hitch dogs that screws into the ground [if not frozen] and then it can be removed in spring, this way you can put your bait about anywhere you want. i am not far from you, live in livermore. have a good season.

Welcome, I shot a coyote during deer season. I swear the thing was trailing me. I was sitting on a stump and heard something coming through the woods from where I just came from. Next thing you know this young coyote comes running up with his nose in my tracks stops less than 12 yards from me. We stare each other down, then he turns to bug out but I got my .270 win up in time and vaporized him. You should have seen the exit wound from my 130 gr sst hand loads, ugly.
10011820.jpg

Then the very next day I'm sitting on the same stump when a doe comes running by me at 15 yards. I'm thinking a buck is chasing her so I get ready. Nothing showed, but my friend was hunting the same area with me that day. Several hours later I believe that my friend had the same doe run by him. He said her tongue was hanging out and she looked worn out. He gets ready thinking that a buck is chasing her, then suddenly a 40lbs coyote comes running behind her and he manages to shoot it at 30 yards running with his .270. I believe that dang coyote was running that doe all day. We didn't get our bucks this year but we saved a few deer instead by shooting these yotes. Sorry no picture of his.

We are going to try baiting them this winter. We have a problem with them in this area and we are planning on thinning them out a little.

Last edited:
nice coyote Cutleryotehunter. i got one the second day of firearms seasonwell i was walking up a old dirt road i saw him he saw me went on a dead run but the bullet beat him to before he got in the woods.
flandothers010-1.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: leatherneckNice Work Cutlery, Get rid of a few dogs, and save a few deer... Good stuff!!! What part of Maine are you from?

Thanks, I try to kill as many as I can but as you know they're not dumb. I'm from Cutler in Washington county on the coast.

I have mine tanned, if they are in good shape hate to waste them have a guy in Oakfield that is really resonable. However I did shot one turkey hunting this spring it was about 80 to 90 degrees left that one. Wouldn't have been any good by the time I got back to my truck.

Live and hunt in berwick and surrounding area.Also have a shack in Bingham.Tryed night hunting got one. Tryed baiting at the shack got hypopthermea.Last year I started to train the family dog.Will start on the 12th.

Back