best rimfire for coyotes

Originally Posted By: CrazyHorse66Originally Posted By: frozenbuttIntersting as it is, there is more than one pellet coming out and hitting it's target. Just saying.

Maybe. Did you read the rest of the post?

Yup, it all comes down to knowing your range. What goes for shotgun goes for rimfire. Keeping in mind you are shooting both within their affective range it's still compairing apples to oranges. Both have their place.

Originally Posted By: frozenbutt
Yup, it all comes down to knowing your range. What goes for shotgun goes for rimfire. Keeping in mind you are shooting both within their affective range it's still compairing apples to oranges. Both have their place.

I agree.

Originally Posted By: Aaron_ProffittI love these threads...Yessirrr.

Hey! There's a coyote killer right there!
thumbup1.gif

I recognize that from your low post count!

I got a ? for the op. To answer your ? better what kind of cover/terrain will you be hunting. Brushy, open, wooded? That would clear up some of the confusion on what would be better.

Originally Posted By: CrazyHorse66Originally Posted By: pahntr760Exactly! That little energy X 43 pellets is certainly more energy than 1 hummer pill.

Well duh. I'm surprised you hadn't read that on the internet somewhere.

Can you put 43 pellets into a coyote's head at 200 yards?

Have you put any pellets into a coyote, ever?

Please tell me you're not one of these guys who have thousands of posts on this board and have never even killed a coyote....

Put the link up where you've posted up a dead coyote or go away kid. The adults are talking.

Oh, adults are talking. I'm sorry. I guess my experiance means nothing. And you can hit a coyote in the head at 200 yds with a rimfire, um, ok.

Yes I have killed plenty of coyotes, fox, raccoons, etc. I don't have pics because I don't care to take them. I will continue to post as I see fit along as I do not violate TOS. I did not realize that YOU were the one and only authority on who can post what.

No bobcats yet, but someday.

CrazyHorse,

I don't see how hitting a coyote specifically would affect your knowledge of a shotgun on game. Heck, even shooting a rabbit with a shotgun will result in the very same result. BB's don't do anything magical on a coyote they wouldn't do on any other game.

It's pretty silly to put a man down when there is really no call for it.

This is certainly not meant as an attack, i'm just saying.....
Everybody isn't loving everybody.
tongue.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mike21CrazyHorse,

I don't see how hitting a coyote specifically would affect your knowledge of a shotgun on game. Heck, even shooting a rabbit with a shotgun will result in the very same result. BB's don't do anything magical on a coyote they wouldn't do on any other game.

It's pretty silly to put a man down when there is really no call for it.

This is certainly not meant as an attack, i'm just saying.....
Everybody isn't loving everybody.
tongue.gif

Mike you have to realize that at one time, this board was the premier resource for predator hunting knowledge.
These days, the boards are dominated by people with thousands of posts giving others advice, and yet they don't have three coyotes between them.
It's sad actually....

You would expect the mods to intervene, and to try and restore credibility to the boards.

People want firsthand knowledge on topics when they come here.

All I'm saying if your post/coyote ratio is > 500:1, then you really ought to quit handing out advice, step away from the keyboard, and go hunting.

I'm more interested in what RJM Acres has to say on the subject of rimfire coyotes, than hearing some BS from some kid about how well his rifle performs on coyotes, especially when he hasn't even laid his hands on the rifle yet.

I try to be respectful and helpful to those I can help.... but I'll call BS when people exceed my tolerance for stupidity.

I didn't invent the phrase "Pics or it didn't happen." but that is the internet standard.

YMMV

Here this should make me the only one allowed to talk about shotgunning coyotes then;

50 yards running, one shot, two coyotes. 12 gauge.
100_0359.jpg

Last edited:
Well, Sir, I guess my time in the deserts of Iraq and time spent away from my home and family has cut into my coyote calling time. I do not try to compensate with coyotes killed, as it seems others find it necessary. Your correct sir, I do not have the 5mm in my cabinet. I put that as a joke. Hence the "sorry, I had to" at the end of that post. Truth, again, is rimfires are not used when callin for me. Plain and simple. I got the 5mm to have one. That's about it. Sure, some rockchucks, PDogs, and when I get a chance to go back home, woodchucks and crows will be pursued with it.

As far as your post:kill ratio. I'm at about 40:1 ratio. That true too. I know It didn't happen because I do not have pictures, but I don't see how a picture proves anything. I can pull plenty from a simple google search, if need be. But, idc to.

And back to the post thing! The majority of mine were learning geared post. I haven't been "calling" long. Most coyotes I've shot have been of of calves and after birth back in PA. Calling for them is new to me.

Oh, and all of the calf and after birth coyotes were shot with a 12 gauge an #4 buck! The rest were mostly 308 while deer or woodchuck hunting. So, have fun. I will no longer participate in your thread as it really helps no one.

Dont you just love these rimfire/.17 threads? Makes me want a .17 just so I can post on the topic. My yote to post ratio is not that good so can I post on this forum? I post on stuff I know about and nothing that I dont. But still, can I stay? I have read through 5 pages of this stuff and its always the same. I rarely post on this type of thread but I had to chime in "just cuz" this time. Nice bunny foxy. Nice shooting FB. A double with a shotty! I seem to be a thread killer, lets see if it works this time. Happy Hunting.

Tony

Last edited:
I guess what bothers me about these rimfire threads is there are so many folks here that think a .22 isn't much more then
a toy and not capable of killing larger animals. That's kind of scary. No wonder so many people have been killed by .22's.

Most WMAs in Arkansas its rim fires only, and Ive killed alot of coyotes with the 22 magnum. And will kill coyotes with the 22 magnum for years to come! I shoot the 22 magnums for bobcats,coyotes,fox more than any other rifle!

Hey RJM, I am not saying a .22 caliber won't kill a coyote. I'm saying that most people don't have the discipline required to use them, especially guys who are learning this game we play. Head shots at 50 yd or closer is fine and dandy but there are only a handful of guys on this board who can do that and even fewer who can make themselves NOT shoot when the circumstances say this is a no go. How many coyotes have to get shot and run before one of these newbies understands either he took a shot that was to far for his rimfire or he needs a to work on his shooting skills required to use it. You proven shooters are not who I am talking about, in the right hands a 22 is very deadly. Heck my favorite rifle of all time is my 1936 Marlin lever action and yes I've killed a coyote with it. I just think it is more ethical for the avg guy to use a centerfire. BTW I only killed 21 coyotes last season, does that give me the right to speak my mind?

Back