best rimfire for coyotes

Originally Posted By: Chris_BriceThis is one of those subjects that you basically have to live and learn yourself. The idea that a rimfire is big enough will keep coming up in your mind and it seems like everyone has tried one or has a hunting partner that has. If I had to guess I'd say 90% that have are against and 10% for. Maybe those 10% are better shots, maybe they're luckier, maybe their coyotes are nancy's, who knows. I say get it out of your system. Buy a fairly inexpensive Marlin or Savage bolt gun, try it and decide for yourself. Pretty much betting you will try it someday anyhow.

But keep in mind. That the magnum rimfires aren't much if any better at 125 yards than a .22lr shooting a Velocitor or the like is a 50 yards or so. Also, if you set your requirements for head shots only, an identical shot with a .22lr will DRT a coyote just as fast as with a magnum. At that point it's about shot placement on a tennis ball size brain not power.

CB

I concur. Although there are guys here that are very successful with rimfires on coyotes. I don't believe on average those guys are necessarily superior shots, I do believe that their calling and field skills and restraint are much better than average to be able to place animals within the limits of their chosen weapon. It can be done(not by me), but I wouldn't recommend it to an unskilled beginner(not saying you are). I would recommend conversing with the likes of CrazyHorse66 as he is about the most skilled and successful with a rimfire that I know of. He has done extensive testing with the Hummer and has a pretty good idea of what it can and can't do.

Chupa

Originally Posted By: getfoxyLeave the 17 at home, coyotes arent impressed with it.

22mag at 50 yards with ba 49 grainer or a 12ga slinging no. 4 buck

This.

I shot my first coyote with a 22mag with Federal 50gr hollow points in the neck right behind the ear that I was aiming for at about 50 yrds . Dropped and kicked a few times and lights out . We had picked up a fresh road kill deer and tied it down on a friends property . Was able to get a still shot at dusk . At night we have one 22mag and one 12ga with 4 buck ready to go after deer season ends for night stands on limited private property we have access to.

Come on RJM,

I won't beat you up!
tongue.gif

Originally Posted By: smitht144Hello guys.. just seeing what all the pros would choose if they could only use RIMfires I took the class today to hunt on ft chaffey In ft Smith Arkansas and u can only use rimfire and shotguns I am guessing the 17 is going to get a lot of votes !!!!

First off good luck! Shotgun and rimfire only areas can provide some fine opportunity for great predator calling.

I've recently discovered a coyote mecca on some public land with the same restrictions. For the most part, I've been carrying my shotgun which throws a decent pattern with HD BB out to 50 yards.
I've discovered that the coyotes there are well versed in the law, and despite my efforts, I am repeatedly getting winded or busted at ranges just beyond my shotgun's capabilities.

As a result of these recent frustrations, I am relying on my 9422M to turn the tables. I am using Winchester 40gr JHP. It has worked out so far with 2 down - one with a neck shot, the other with a frontal chest shot. This is the first season I have employed this rifle in this role.

My past rimfire success has come with a 17HMR. I've been using it on my property primarily for noise and safety concerns. My number one reason for this choice is out of respect for my neighbors. My efforts have paid off and they fully support me in my pest control endeavours.
With the HMR I am currently at 7 coyotes taken with 7 shots. All have been headshots on stationary coyotes using a 20 grain XTP.
I discourage the use of 17 grain VMax on anything larger than a housecat, as my experience has shown a lack of terminal performance with these rounds on raccoons.

I would recommend using a well patterned shotgun load as your primary weapon. If you find yourself having problems getting them in range then switch to a rimfire.
I would recommend getting the animal to stop before attempting a rimfire shot. Shot placement is your key to success. I stop them with a "kiss".
Once again, I discourage the use of a VMax round. Save those for smaller quarry.

Enjoy your new hunting grounds and post pics!

My newest favorite "little" rifle:

p1010118zk.jpg

p1010131kk.jpg

Originally Posted By: Chupathingy It can be done(not by me), but I wouldn't recommend it to an unskilled beginner(not saying you are). I would recommend conversing with the likes of CrazyHorse66 as he is about the most skilled and successful with a rimfire that I know of. He has done extensive testing with the Hummer and has a pretty good idea of what it can and can't do.

Chupa

Chupa, anyone who excercises good calling and shooting fundamentals can kill coyotes successfully with a rimfire. Patience and good judgement is the key. However, a man has to know his limitations....

There are a lot of people far more skilled and successful them myself. I'm probably the most vocal of late. I do learn a little more each time out. That is why I encourage others to get out and try it. You have to get in the game to learn.

Did you know:

A 17HMR 20 grain XTP has more energy at 200 yards than a 20 grain pellet of #4 buckshot has at the muzzle.

A 22WMR 40 grain JHP has more energy at 100 yards than a 40 grain pellet of #1 buckshot has at the muzzle.

The sectional density of either round provides better penetration than the spherical pellet of equal weight.

That's something to think about when you're "slinging" buckshot past it's effective range in hopes of a "magic BB" kill.

A well placed rimfire shot could have done the job with certainty.

78533.jpg

Originally Posted By: RJM Acresforgot I wasn't going to get involved in this thread so I don't get beat up.

I've got your back RJM. I've killed more coyotes with a rimfire within 100 yards of where I'm sitting right now, then some people posting in this thread have killed anywhere with anything.

I know you have had similar experiences.

Originally Posted By: pahntr7605mm Remington Rimfire Magnum!!

I had too, just bought one!!

I saw that! Nice rifle.
I am a little jealous....

Now kill something big and furry and post a pic!

Originally Posted By: CrazyHorse66Originally Posted By: RJM Acresforgot I wasn't going to get involved in this thread so I don't get beat up.

I've got your back RJM. I've killed more coyotes with a rimfire within 100 yards of where I'm sitting right now, then some people posting in this thread have killed anywhere with anything.

I know you have had similar experiences.

I will back anyone shooting rimfire as well, so long as I know the person is using sound judgement... I couldn't agree with CrazyHorse more... My one lost coyote(poor judgement) was no a trotting animal on my right side moving to the right. Shoulda let him get down wind and bust me, but I rushed a shot and muffed it, I assume I hit him low and back... Since then I have not shot my WMR at a moving animal, and have been fine. I shoot a Savage 93 with a Pentax Gameseeker II 3-9x40 and Wichester Dynapoints, but after reading the reviews on here, it sounds like there are a few cleaner shooting bullets I may try... I have even had 3 Dyna's blow through the chest cavity of coyotes(when they don't hit a big bone)! My savage shoots 30 gr V-Max better than any round I've tried yet, but I also agree with him on the use of this round on larger animals. I have no issues with the 30 gr. on coons, and I suppose if I happened upon a fox inside 100yds I'd be comfortable with it as well, but I would not shoot this round at a coyote. Practice, Confidence, Patience and Self Control are they key to efficiently hunting predators with rimfires... Also... LOVE the comparison of WMR and HMR to buckshot energy, thanks for that!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: snowwhite204

I will back anyone shooting rimfire as well, so long as I know the person is using sound judgement... I couldn't agree with CrazyHorse more... My one lost coyote(poor judgement) was no a trotting animal on my right side moving to the right. Shoulda let him get down wind and bust me, but I rushed a shot and muffed it, I assume I hit him low and back... Since then I have not shot my WMR at a moving animal, and have been fine. I shoot a Savage 93 with a Pentax Gameseeker II 3-9x40 and Wichester Dynapoints, but after reading the reviews on here, it sounds like there are a few cleaner shooting bullets I may try... I have even had 3 Dyna's blow through the chest cavity of coyotes(when they don't hit a big bone)! My savage shoots 30 gr V-Max better than any round I've tried yet, but I also agree with him on the use of this round on larger animals. I have no issues with the 30 gr. on coons, and I suppose if I happened upon a fox inside 100yds I'd be comfortable with it as well, but I would not shoot this round at a coyote. Practice, Confidence, Patience and Self Control are they key to efficiently hunting predators with rimfires... Also... LOVE the comparison of WMR and HMR to buckshot energy, thanks for that!

Which bullets might be better and cleaner ?

Originally Posted By: CrazyHorse66

Chupa, anyone who excercises good calling and shooting fundamentals can kill coyotes successfully with a rimfire. Patience and good judgement is the key. However, man has to know his limitations....

You're right. It's all about patience and judgement.
I don't take a shot at everything I see.
I want them close, I want them still and I want a good clear shot.

Winchester 40 gr JHP's, Federal 50 gr, and someone mentioned another on this thread as well, but I don't recall what it was. The dyna's are a dirty lil round, I clean the copper out about every 30 rounds or so with them... But with sub MOA groups, I can deal with the cleanup I guess.

If you want to use a rifle, with about as much energy at 150yds as the 22mag has at 100yds, hands down, the 5mm will out perform the 22 mag, but not everyone is fortunate enough to own one. Second choice would be the 22 mag. I wouldn't carry my HMR for coyotes, thats just me. A rimfire user, especially needs to have enough discipline to only take a responsible shot
Of course my shotgun choice should be obvious. My SP10 with Winchester XX copper plated BB's since #4 buck is out. Second choice would be a 12 ga., preferably 3 1/2 with the copper plated BB's or largest legal heavy shot.

I hunted coyotes with the 5mms and the 22 mags and the 22magnums larger heavier, bullet is better! Period!let me tell you guys something, these 5mm shooters will say or do anything to get them to bring the 5mm back,but it is not going to happen!!!!Remington is not going to make ammo and CCI isnt, and no U.S.mfg is going to make rifles for the 5mm rimfire ever!!! So cool it tengaugetx.

Originally Posted By: tengaugetxIf you want to use a rifle, with about as much energy at 150yds as the 22mag has at 100yds, hands down, the 5mm will out perform the 22 mag.

First off, I must say that I have never owned a 5mm RF. That said, I like to think I have somewhat of a clue as to what damage certain bullet/cartridge combos will do. IMO, I'd still rather the 22 mag with a 50gr bullet as opposed to any 5mm offering out to 125yds.

Energy alone is a poor way of measuring killing power IMO. There is something to be said of heavier bullets with larger frontal diameters that make larger holes in game. For example, many rifle rounds produce higher energies on paper, yet slower handgun rounds of larger diameter can easily best some of them in the killing department.......

Originally Posted By: marcoI hunted coyotes with the 5mms and the 22 mags and the 22magnums larger heavier, bullet is better! Period!let me tell you guys something, these 5mm shooters will say or do anything to get them to bring the 5mm back,but it is not going to happen!!!!Remington is not going to make ammo and CCI isnt, and no U.S.mfg is going to make rifles for the 5mm rimfire ever!!! So cool it tengaugetx.

You really like to tell others what THEY need or want to do. I understand you had less the stelar results from a 5mm, but why don't you keep your ego out of it. The 5mm is a great round! FACT! look at the numbers!

I did recently purchase one just to have it. IMHO, coyotes cats and fox deserve a centerfire. Rimfires are not in my calling. But I love how YOU alone are the 5mm authority.

We all get it! You don't like 5mm Rem's. Leave it at that!

Back