best rimfire for coyotes

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesObviously none of us are out hunting and are here worthlessly running our post counts up. The wind is hurricane force like here this morning. What's the best excuse the rest of ya can come up with?

Last two days of deer season and people get alittle to trigger happy trying to fill the tag. 20 mph south wind don't help either. Plus I was out filling a tupperware bowl full of duck meat, just got home. As for coyote hunting, soon very soon. Now though it's nap time.

Originally Posted By: RJM AcresYou couldn't pay me to go out hunting coyotes today.
Winds blowing hard and the woods are full of deer hunters.
It's the opening day of firearms deer season.

Exact same reason I'm running my fingers and not my caller. It's almost dark and they are still running the roads with their lights off.
Only 5 weeks and the madness will be over.

Shayne

Originally Posted By: CrazyHorse66Originally Posted By: smitht144Hello guys.. just seeing what all the pros would choose if they could only use RIMfires I took the class today to hunt on ft chaffey In ft Smith Arkansas and u can only use rimfire and shotguns I am guessing the 17 is going to get a lot of votes !!!!

First off good luck! Shotgun and rimfire only areas can provide some fine opportunity for great predator calling.

I've recently discovered a coyote mecca on some public land with the same restrictions. For the most part, I've been carrying my shotgun which throws a decent pattern with HD BB out to 50 yards.
I've discovered that the coyotes there are well versed in the law, and despite my efforts, I am repeatedly getting winded or busted at ranges just beyond my shotgun's capabilities.

As a result of these recent frustrations, I am relying on my 9422M to turn the tables. I am using Winchester 40gr JHP. It has worked out so far with 2 down - one with a neck shot, the other with a frontal chest shot. This is the first season I have employed this rifle in this role.

My past rimfire success has come with a 17HMR. I've been using it on my property primarily for noise and safety concerns. My number one reason for this choice is out of respect for my neighbors. My efforts have paid off and they fully support me in my pest control endeavours.
With the HMR I am currently at 7 coyotes taken with 7 shots. All have been headshots on stationary coyotes using a 20 grain XTP.
I discourage the use of 17 grain VMax on anything larger than a housecat, as my experience has shown a lack of terminal performance with these rounds on raccoons.

I would recommend using a well patterned shotgun load as your primary weapon. If you find yourself having problems getting them in range then switch to a rimfire.
I would recommend getting the animal to stop before attempting a rimfire shot. Shot placement is your key to success. I stop them with a "kiss".
Once again, I discourage the use of a VMax round. Save those for smaller quarry.

Enjoy your new hunting grounds and post pics!

My newest favorite "little" rifle:

p1010118zk.jpg

p1010131kk.jpg

Crazyhorse66,

If you had to start over with only one: the .22mag or the .17hmr for coyotes,fox, and bobcat which round would you pick? I have read through all 7 pages of this thread. In some areas it actually had good info then it turned into a mess.

I am genuinely looking for info on which one - .22 mag or the .17 hmr - will be better for coyotes, bobcat, and fox.

The reason being is here in Georgia we can kill bobcat and fox with a rimfire, shotgun, or muzzleloader only. Doesn't matter if you are on private land or public. Also, if you hunt any of the three predators on a WMA here it must be with a rimfire, shotgun, or muzzleloader. I don't want to use a shotgun, my muzzleloader is a hawken, so that leaves me with wanting to purchase one of the rimfires.

If you had to grab just one, which one would you pick? BTW, in Georgia on private land you can use a .500 nitro express for coyotes if you want to. However, I don't want to be calling yotes - Mr. Bobcat shows up - and I can't legally take him b/c I have my .223 with me.

Thanks in advance. BTW, I've only killed three yotes - one with a recurve, one with a .30/30, and one with a .243. I called in an additional one back in early summer and I botched the opportunity.

Rookie7,
I was just wondering why you would not consider your Hawken?? it would work very well on coyote and you can load it up or down for a perfect match!
I have used mine in .50 cal with the Lee R.E.A.L bullets cast out of soft pure lead and it works very well for me!

Originally Posted By: rookie7Crazyhorse66,

If you had to start over with only one: the .22mag or the .17hmr for coyotes,fox, and bobcat which round would you pick?

rookie7
My 917V is primarily used for pest control around the house. In that role it's irreplaceable. It can handle anything 4 legged that sets foot on the property that I want dead while minimizing a ricochet hazard.
I play it's strength (accuracy) vs. the coyotes weakness (brain). This prevents runoffs.
My neighbors know to call me or the sheriff if they hear centerfire or my 12 gauge over here, but they also know not to worry if they hear the .17HMR.

My 9422M is a relatively new addition that is getting the job done so far. I've used it on the backside of my property and a little on public land this year. I added an Aimpoint PRO to it which improved my 100 yard groups over iron sights.
So far it's working out pretty well. It accurately delivers a larger bullet with more energy that my hummer, and the lever action and red dot makes it fast for follow up shots. It's my choice to go to the field with, for those reasons.

I haven't used either rifle on fox or bobcat, but I'd be confident with either one.

Originally Posted By: JonathanRookie7,
I was just wondering why you would not consider your Hawken?? it would work very well on coyote and you can load it up or down for a perfect match!
I have used mine in .50 cal with the Lee R.E.A.L bullets cast out of soft pure lead and it works very well for me!

Smoke pole yotes is a cool way to go! I enjoy reading about predators taken that way.

I'm new to this forum, having stumbled upon it yesterday, but this topic is one that interests me greatly. I keep a .22 magnum above the front door to dispatch varmints. it has taken armadillos, foxes, coyotes, skunks, groundhogs and crows.
At one time, I could ring my steel plates at 250 yards with it. Granted it doesn't have much "oomph" at that range, but I consider it adequate to 150 yards, with proper bullet placement.

I killed this one two weeks ago this morning. It came out of the woods right in front of my 100-yard target. I dropped it in its tracks at 95 yards with a frontal chest shot.

IMG_1004.jpg

Last edited:
Ok I've read thru all of the posts. Some good info and a ALOT of not so good info.

The original question was about the .17hmr or a .22 mag. Ok that being said......let's move on guys...no Internet bullying or name calling or blah blah blah. Grow up guys, anyone that has been around here has seen this topic before.

I have killed some coyotes with my .22 mag, not as many as some around here.

I took one guy hunting with me that used his .17hmr, he shot a coyote 6 times before it dropped. That coyote was called to within 40yds. I do not know how proffecient he was with this weapon, and I did not ask before hand. This was and is my only experience with that caliber.

The OP asked for expert opinions? I know that I cant qualify as any kind of expert on any subject. But it seems that the Internet has made quit a few around here.

It doesn't matter how many posts one mite have, some are just a little bit late in joining us around the campfire. Speaking of campfires, please join me.............coombiyah

Thanks. That's the second I've shot from my front porch, the other being almost a year ago. I missed one from the porch last week, or I would have three on the front-porch list.

Here's last year's front-porch-coyote.....

IMG_0418.jpg

Originally Posted By: getfoxyThat first one is a very nice coyote. Is it a 2 pointer?

Black tips don't count do they?

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean....

If the tip of the tail is white. It's a "2-pointer" I think Jay Nistetter is credited with the phrase

That one appears to be black, just wondering if it counts.

Gotcha. I think every one I've killed has had black tips, best I remember. The first one has a black tip as well, it's just turned under. You can see it if you look closely.

My brother-in-law saw a really red one a few weeks ago while bowhunting.

Originally Posted By: gonzaga Speaking of campfires, please join me.............coombiyah

I'll join you in the singing, but if you try and hold my hand we're gonna have a problem. This homey don't play THAT game!

Back