Baiting

Nice videos 6 and no doubt about it. The 17 Rem with that 25 gr. HP is some bad ju-ju for coyotes especially from a bait site. I haven't shot mine in quite a while, but it is a neat little cartridge.

Originally Posted By: SoftpointWith results like that why would you change calibers?
For the fun of it and to not get bored using the same thing over and over. I pretty much mix things up every so often just to keep it interesting. Last year I used a 6.5 Grendel AR and Pulsar thermal. Had a great season, and learned a lot about 6.5 bullets that anchor coyotes. This year I am using a Ruger American Predator in 6mm Remington with a light weight 55 gr. Sierra Blitz King and an ATN 4k Pro digital scope. Soon I may use my new Ratler 25 thermal along with a 6x45 AR, or maybe even the .17 Remington again. Life is too short to only get to experience just one thing.

Very cool videos 06, thanks for putting those up. I tend to switch calibers often as well. Just built a .243 AR on a DPMS LR308 platform. Sierra 75 gr HP at about 3000 fps. Light load with 16" barrel. Just threw my Hogster on it and zeroed an hour ago. Now, I need something on the bait...

Originally Posted By: baitpileVery cool videos 06, thanks for putting those up. I tend to switch calibers often as well. Just built a .243 AR on a DPMS LR308 platform. Sierra 75 gr HP at about 3000 fps. Light load with 16" barrel. Just threw my Hogster on it and zeroed an hour ago. Now, I need something on the bait...

This does sound interesting. Keep us informed. The weather is going to be pretty nasty for next day or so. 60-75 mph winds predicted. Might be a little wind drift with the 17's
w00t.gif
scared.gif

But it might stir things up afterwards

06 and tj,
I will keep you posted. The 20" 22-250 is a hammer. I killed one and missed one with that rifle. The reason for the .243, besides entertainment, is an ergonomic experiment for the tripod at night. The 22-250 in the chassis worked well, but is heavy. The .243 is just a bit lighter, but real well balanced, and I wanted to run semi for follow ups and see how that plays out. Running the bolt in the field was a bit slow, and with battery pack wires and this and that, I just wanted to try the semi auto for a bit. Like 06 said, don't want to get bored with just one caliber.

So, I'll be running the Sierra 75 gr HP to start. The rifle liked that load. Now, having said all this, it has a 16" barrel. This just does not allow the .243 to use all of it's potential. So, this is not the magic combo I was hoping for, but will suffice for the near future. I'm running right at 3000 fps which should work for 200 and in. Not stellar ballistics, but the 16" makes for a handy rifle.

The .243 also came about as a result of me having a DPMS LR308 laying around here for years not being used. So, heck, lets use it. I zero'd the Hogster on a second profile as well, so can just slip back to the 22-250 any time if need be. Good stuff.

Sorry for the long post, but just wanted to explain my insanity, and, there's no coyotes beating my door down, so I have a little time
smile.gif

tj, the weather here is the same, about a day behind you. Calling for wind gusts to 65+ mph. So, we'll ride it out and hope for some yotes on the back side.

A farmer called me, said coyote were pulling dead pigs out of the composting bin, could I shoot them. Sat last night about 60 yards away, about 8:45 a female came in. I'm running the 2-16 Wraith on my 204 R TC Dimension, shooting the 40 BIB with maxed load of 8208. Zero fur damage, not even blood on the snow when I picked up in the morning. The male, called and wandered back and forth over several hours but I would doze off and wake up, seeing it walking away. And then heavy fog rounded in, no good for IR work.

Last edited:

Spot, you may still get that male, and some others too. Stay after ‘em.

As to dozing off, I did that one time while calling. Finally after a bit I regained awareness a little, lifted my eyelids enough to see a bobcat staring at me from about 15 yards away. Managed to get him with a shotgun - my first bobcat kill.

Good work spot. Like to see some pics.

On another note, Hope tj in NE and all others in the line of this monster December tornadoe squall survived the night. Very nasty. I took a little tree damage, but nothing to worry about compared to some. Lots of Kansas smoke in IA last night too, and lots of power outages throughout the state today.Everybody hang in there and lets get to shootin some coyotes!!

Alarm went off @ 4:30 am this morning. Nice female. 22-204ai/53 v max. Little cold snap right now. Hopefully critters keep moving.

[img:left][/img]

Had a different visitor this evening. Been after him for a while now as he's been tearing up the pasture. Wasn't on the bait, but thought I'd put it here . 22-204ai 53 v max again. 220 yards with Hogster 35. Wide and low...
thumbup.gif

[img:left][/img]

Back