Baiting

So here are some highlights from December. I have limited access to a computer and am playing catchup. 3 of my bait sites are, well.... pretty dead. Nothing feeding on them. The other has fox showing fairly consistently but currently they are feeding early mornings. Hoping their schedule will change when the moon dims some. Still no coyotes but no matter. I continue to enjoy my fox hunts and always, always will. gg

Video #1

ATN Nov. 29, 2021 behind house by Gobbler Getter, on Flickr

Video #2

ATN Dec 3, 2021 Pond stand by Gobbler Getter, on Flickr

Video #3

ATN Dec. 7, 2021 Pond stand Red dog 16lbs. by Gobbler Getter, on Flickr

I thought my 1st shot on this fox was good but he ran on me. My second shot was a miss, I believe, but the third finished him. When I went back to the 1st shot location there was blood galore, so he wasn't going far.

Video #4 Part 1

Part 2

ATN Dec. 10, 2021 Pond stand Red dog by Gobbler Getter, on Flickr

Got this pair last week at my bait site. Shot the big male at 70 yds and the female at 175 yds. The 22-250 with 53 gr Varmageddons is doing great.

Originally Posted By: baitpileGood work GG, and great videos. Awesome.

Also, good job nr123, good to see some folks with some action.

Have you gotten to test your new build out yet? This warm weather has sure messed with activity this year.

NR, glad your new 22-250 is panning out. That's a fine cartridge. The Varmageddons are great bullets too, and I am very appreciative of your gift of the 6.5 ones.

The driveway alarm went off at 5:30. Literally on the driveway.

I walked out the front door to scan and picked up the small female just as she was leaving the road. I mounted the rifle and leaned into the corner of the house for a rest. When I bumped the downspout, the loud hollow thud made her stop to look.

Another high shoulder hit. The 55 Sierra Blitz King tore a large hole across the top dropping her in place. Barely more than a pup.

She was heading toward the bait site but I can't say for certain she even knew it was down there. #21 this year.

KBIvvnh.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tj66Originally Posted By: baitpileGood work GG, and great videos. Awesome.

Also, good job nr123, good to see some folks with some action.

Have you gotten to test your new build out yet? This warm weather has sure messed with activity this year.

tj,
No. Unfortunately, I cannot buy a coyote!! Worst year ever for activity on the bait, and I have not had it in the field yet. I honestly think this is my worst activity year since I have started baiting, and that is to include the old days prior to motion sensors. Goofy year for sure.

https://vimeo.com/659710574

Here is a quick video from my new remote camera system I have installed on my baitsite. This is wifi based and I can view it live from my pc or phone. Makes for a great set up to check bait at 3 am and not have to suit up and get outside only to find it is a possum.
I'll post some pics of the set up when I get those on the computer.
Because this is all battery operated, I set the vid length very short to help on battery life. The main objective here is to identify what has set the alarm off from the comforts of my cozy recliner
thumbup1.gif

Last edited:
WF- very nice yote. Like the coloration.

BP- I like your setup with the remote camera. I would do the same, only I don't have WiFi. In stead, I have a baby camera (what one would use next to a crib)which is plugged into yards and yards of extension cords that run to an outside receptical at the house. Bed side is the monitor. When the alarm sounds, yep, just roll over check the screen. If there is a deer or owl on the bait, the camera outside has a built in speaker so I can speak into the monitor inside to scare off unwanteds.

Congrats wildflights, purdy one. Neat looking setup BP. There is some high tech red neck stuff going on the baiting world and it's really neat seeing the creativity.

GG, now that is innovation right there!!! I like it. Same goal, different approach, awesome.
Mine too, has a built in alarm to manually activate, should I need to scare off eagles and such. Kind of fun playing with the gadgets.

Originally Posted By: gobblergetter the camera outside has a built in speaker so I can speak into the monitor inside to scare off unwanteds.
Now that is what I like. Fox plague my site. I usually open the door and yell at them, and light them up with a flashlight only to have them return a few minutes later. I take a chance on doing that since I never know when a coyote may be lurking nearby. My last coyote kill on the night of December 3 was only less than 5 minutes after putting a bullet in the ground at the feet of a red fox. I am still scratching my head in disbelief that a coyote would show up that quick after a gun shot.

Back