Baiting

@weekender Really cool video. Really cool Black. What were you using for bait? Surprised to see it so well on the FLIR.

@6mm06 I've shot a couple dozen coyotes and a bobcat with the 55 Sierra BK. As long as you stay off bone, there's no fur damage including the cat. Hit bone and it makes large holes. I like that they are an effective but fragile bullet. A half gallon milk jug will stop one without any damage to the next in line.

Congrats on the Black Burnsome! That is good video also.

This female came in about 1/2 hr ago. Been awhile. Used 22-204ai with 53 vmax @ 3750. Hit a little low... heart shot. Big exit.

[img:left][/img]

Originally Posted By: tj66Congrats on the Black Burnsome! That is good video also.

This female came in about 1/2 hr ago. Been awhile. Used 22-204ai with 53 vmax @ 3750. Hit a little low... heart shot. Big exit.

That's very impressive speed out of a 204 case. You're in 22-250 territory.

Originally Posted By: 204 AROriginally Posted By: tj66Congrats on the Black Burnsome! That is good video also.

That's very impressive speed out of a 204 case. You're in 22-250 territory.

Yes it works well. There are several of us running these now... I chambered this using a 223ai reamer .090" deeper. Brass has 33 gr capacity once it's fireformed. I originally was planning on 70 class bullets, then got turned to 53's by one of the others. About the only downside of this rifle is she is fat. Weighs 14.5 all set right now.

Last edited:
Good work tj!! Nice shootin! And yes, that is a speedy round. Been interested in a 22-204 for a while. Would you post a pic of the round you are shooting and the rifle? Would like a peek.

Originally Posted By: baitpileGood work tj!! Nice shootin! And yes, that is a speedy round. Been interested in a 22-204 for a while. Would you post a pic of the round you are shooting and the rifle? Would like a peek.

Here are rounds. Have a 223, next a 204, and then fireformed 22-204ai with 53 v max.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: baitpileGood work tj!! Nice shootin! And yes, that is a speedy round. Been interested in a 22-204 for a while. Would you post a pic of the round you are shooting and the rifle? Would like a peek.

Rifle is Savage model 12. Oryx chassis, EGW rail, 22" 9 twist varmint barrel. I rechambered this from 223. Used a 223 ackley reamer, ran it .090" deeper so bolt headspaced on 204 gauge. Currently running 53 v-max @ 3750 with Exterminator powder. Using Hornady brass on it's 13th reload, and pockets are holding well. I use 223ai dies backed off so they just bump shoulders .001". Haven't had to resize the bases yet.

I'm using Hogster 35. Really like it so far, at least for my shooting. I'm not a pro. LOL. Mounted the extended Egw rail backwards and that allowed me to get it far enough back without a riser. Anker battery pack is mounted to front of rail. Nice and compact. I have rubber bands on power cord because my big paws hit the plug in when I'm hurrying. LOL

Very nice tj! Awesome little round. Thanks for posting. How much more velocity do you think you are getting with the AI over straight 22-204?

Originally Posted By: baitpileVery nice tj! Awesome little round. Thanks for posting. How much more velocity do you think you are getting with the AI over straight 22-204?

I don't think much... my loads are only about .5 to 1 grain more than what the guy's running straight 22-204 are. We are all within 50-100 fps of each other using same powders. This one takes just a touch more. I had the reamer and dies already or I might have went differently.

I've got a Tikka T3 223 8 twist that I keep thinking about doing this with. Probably happen one of these days when I get bored. It would save me a few pounds to lug around.

Trail camera captured two coyotes in the same photo on the night of the 7th. They got bait and haven’t been back since. Hard to figure them sometimes.

Fairly slow here in NW Georgia as well. Have had several "pass by" yotes recently, those that casually swing by the bait pile, look maybe, and head on their way. Perhaps they have plenty to eat I dont know.

Same here fellas. I have one on the board. Years past, should be at about 6. Several trail cam pics as well, with one just trotting on by the bait. Strange year.

Got this small male yesterday late afternoon. Just about fell over when I saw him working his way across hay meadow in the daylight. Lol. Used 17 Rem on him. 25gr Hornady hp's @ 4000. 275 yd shot. Hard to believe how fast they hit the ground when hit with these.

Finding bait has been tough for me, I had to resort to a road kill on a state highway. So call trooper, then C.O. gets involved. Much easier when a county deputy calls and asks if I can remove one. Put the rk out one a farm where I shot 7 last year, still plenty around. Need 3-4 more to get my rotation started.

Back