Annual Groundhog tally for 2013

Tonight went well.

I bagged two with the .22LR early in the evening (between 5:30-6:00). I took it with me tonight because I've had a few teasing me near the outbuildings where I can't/won’t shoot them with the bigger guns. After dispatching them I went out into the fields with the 20 Practical and dropped another four over the course of an hour between 80 and 230 yards.

Then I proceeded to a stream/ditch line on the north end of the farm. I've been avoiding that area for a while because the grass is getting tall enough to lose woodchucks in but the farmer has been driving the tractor along the brush enough to beat down a shooting lane. At that point I walked into a carnival shooting gallery… In a little over 5 minutes time I shot six woodchucks less than 100 yards apart from each other. Between 5:30 and 7:15 I sent twelve woodchucks to their final dirt nap. With one round in the gun I headed back to the barn to let the farmer know how the night went and pack things up.

The first one of the night.

The unlucky six.

This young bobcat was in the road ditch behind my truck as I was getting ready to head out. It was quite content to watch me pack up. I suspect it won’t have any trouble finding a free meal!

Originally Posted By: NYyotekiller

2013-08-03192645_zps94271d75.jpg

Hey wdchuckhuntr, Why don't you save some woodchucks for somebody else! Your stackin them things up like cord wood.

Yeah... what he said!!

Originally Posted By: NYyotekillerHey wdchuckhuntr, Why don't you save some woodchucks for somebody else! Your stackin them things up like cord wood.

Just imagine what it would be like if I had me one of them fancy new 17 WSM's! Winchester should have named it the "17 WMD" because it's so deadly and nearly impossible to find. Heck, I just saw a report on the news that crows in New York State have been placed on the Endangered Species list due to a recent delivery of WSM (a.k.a WMD) ammo to southern NYS...

Originally Posted By: wdchuckhuntr Just imagine what it would be like if I had me one of them fancy new 17 WSM's!

How many Dang woodchuck guns do you need? You've already ran out of corners in your place to put the ones you got.

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: NYyotekiller

How many Dang woodchuck guns do you need?

How many woodchucks are there??

Exactly!! I have about six chuck guns and I'm looking to double that number!!
thumbup1.gif

1up5down I have about six chuck guns and I'm looking to double that number!! [img said:
https://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/images/graemlins/default/thumbup1.gif[/img]

I think so too, Dave! But I sure do hope that Jennifer don't find out about that. Tell ya what, you send me your latest 6mm (along with the Nightforce scope, natch) and I will forget all about mentioning it to her. Sound like a deal?
tt2.gif

Love the pic with the bobcat. I've been in VA my whole and I've never seen one ever. We must be on the edge of their habitat. wdchuckhuntr nice shooting and thanks for posting.

Eric

Made it out this weekend they were still cutting the hay so couldn't get into all the fields but did manage to get this one today with the 22-250AI 347yrds with a pretty heavy crosswind

IMG_20130804_174741_079_zps874cd7ae.jpg

Wasn't able to hit the fields yesterday due to the rains setting in earlier than expected so I decided to head out today.

Got up at 6:30 to sunny skies. Took a look at the yard and saw it was still wet so I decided to wait a few hours to let it dry.Left the house a little after 11:00,made a quick stop at Mcdonalds and was on my way.

As I was walking to the knoll I wanted to shoot from,I came up on this little fella about 7 yards from me. He stood there looking at me then went back to eating!! The whole time I was trying to get my rifle un shouldered,he kept looking at me oblivious to what was about to happen. BANG FLOP!!

[img:center][/img]

Left him to be buzzard bait for later. Got to the knoll and it was pretty quiet for about an hour then it started to pick up.Ended up getting eight more for a total on nine today. Shots were from about 120 yards to 380 yards. Missed a couple chip shots at 180 and 220 yards. Also missed one at 420 yards. Misjudged the wind by about an inch.Should have held stronger right.Oh well he will be there next time.

I figured if wdchuckhuntr can pile them up like firewood,well so can I!!! LOL

Here are a couple of pics of my newest honey hole.

I park by the hay shed(in the 2nd pic)and walk the rest of the way.

Last edited:
Beautiful country! Nice shooting once again!! Wish we could hunt on Sundays in NJ. Stupid state!! Won't be long now. Under contract for the sale of the house. Inspections on Wednesday. We get through those then it's closing. Florida for the Winter then move into the new house in NC. Don't think they have woodchucks/groundhogs in there? Will have to find another varmint to hunt or take up golf again.

Originally Posted By: fur-downSry i have no way to put the video on my computer so i took a video of the video with my phone.

Nice shot furdown. Were you in a ground blind?

Originally Posted By: 1up5downOriginally Posted By: fur-downSry i have no way to put the video on my computer so i took a video of the video with my phone.

Nice shot furdown. Were you in a ground blind?
No i was setting in the shadows. I try to get some of my longer shots on video

Originally Posted By: 1up5downMust have been the camera phone messing with me!! lol

Maybe id like to get a newer video camera to take with me on my hunts one that i can pull a sd card out and pop it in my computer but $$$ is hard to come by now days

Back