Annual Groundhog tally for 2013

My hunting buddy John and I were able to get out and do a late evening hunt on Friday and on Saturday morning. I was able to put six more to rest.

Shots were from 15 yds.(yes,15 yds.)to 330 yds.

Got this one at 330yds. I let John have first crack at it. He tried three times.Each shot was high.He finally told me to finish him. I got on him and bang flop. Got him in the head. John decided to see how far his rifle was off. Three more shots and he realized he had to hold half a mil low at that distance.

[img:center][/img]

Got this one at 15yds. We were walking back to the truck when John spotted it. I did not have a round chambered so had to move real slow not to spook it. The whole time it just sat at the edge of it's hole watching me. Not a very smart poodle.

A couple more that were shot at 250 yds. and 318 yds.

Also missed one at 390 yards. Could not get a good read from the RF. I thought it was about 325 yds. but afterwards was able to confirm it was closer to 390 yds. Oh well.

Dave

That's some fine shooting, as usual. Except for the miss of course. 15 yds. Must never have seen a human before. Guess he never will again. Still waiting for the opportunity to connect at 300+. They just don't come up around here often.

Thanks DB. When I was ranging the one I missed,I was trying to go through some tall weeds. Could not get a reading so I pinged a white building that I thought was about the same distance.

I'm really getting comfortable with the 223AI. Makes it hard to decide between it and the Savage 304. I gotta do some scope swapping in a few days. Just bought a new Nightforce 5.5-22x56 and a new Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x50. Trying to decide which guns they should go on. Decisions.....decisions.
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: wdchuckhuntrFairly uncommon to see a nutless Savage.

Yeah,I have not seen many either. I bought this one already set up the way you see it now (except for the scope) from a member here. Gotta say it's a shooter too!!

I stop by papa's and was talking to him told him id been putting the hurt on some GH and he says ( i saw one go to my barn the other day) i said ill take a look so i come around the side and POP!!! walk back up to him and show him the prize then he say (your the new Daniel Boone) i said im good with motors and wood but i was born to kill GH. [img:center]
20130728_190806_zps9cebb4e7.jpg
[/img]

The wife and I went out this evening with the .22LR and the .20 Practical.. This was her first time out this year and it went fairly well for her. She shot two back to back at 130 & 150 yards respectively, one at 100 yards & one miss at 210 yards with the 20P. She got another one around 70 yards and had a few misses with the .22LR. I shot six with the 20P from 80-220 yards and one with the 22LR around 60 yards out. Nothing fancy, but a productive night all-n-all.

The wife posing with her two back to back kills.

Broke my kill shot range today shots was 80yd 100yd 117yd 156yd 175yd thats good day in my book. [img:center]
20130730_114551_zpsb09b69b8.jpg
[/img] [img:center]
20130730_121334_zps870fb3b3.jpg
20130730_125846_zps79869747.jpg
20130730_145721_zpsd93f073c.jpg
[/img]

Originally Posted By: fur-downOriginally Posted By: i shoot a 45Nice! We have got to get after them this weekend, fur-down. Saturday! !

Sweet! I'll make sure I'm good to go.

I got out last evening with the .223 I use for fox and coyote hunting. It's nothing special but it shoots well enough and I needed to finish off some rounds so I can load up some fresh ones. I missed the first chuck of the night but bagged another six from 15 to 170 yards.

One of the nights victims.

A clinger,

This chuck circled the round bale six times before I ended up shooting it. I have no idea why it was running around the bale and whistling at me. In the end I was about 15 yards from it when I shot it.

Way to get after em guys!

"Shoots well enough". Savage would not be happy about that statement with their out of the box accuracy.

Would love to have another Savage, but the 22-250 is the only one I could afford. Went with the TC Venture for my 223 and I'm very pleased with its performance. At least under 300 yards. Have not had an opportunity for a shot longer than that around here.

I like 223 for coyote to groundhog im good to 300yd on a coyote size target my armalite ant to bad for a AR. [img:center]
20130729_181426_zps17274712.jpg
[/img] thats at 100yds on sandbags.

Last edited:
Back