Annual Groundhog tally for 2013

[img:center]
20130805_110725_zpsd11e0b53.jpg
[/img]

New bypod but it may be to low for shots in tall grass

It must be close to winter ‘cuz we’re stacking some wood!

I let the 223 bark tonight with some new loads using 55 grain Nosler Varmegeddons. They held up better than I expected with every shot being a pass through without too much destruction. They should make a decent predator bullet. Anyhoo… I got nine for the night between 5:30 and 7:30. One that I shot on another farm on my travels didn’t make the picture.

Made it out tonight after the rain, forgot my skeeter spray and paid for it, but did manage one at the pond with the 22mag 85yrd headshot, I don't know which one was bigger the hog or the skeeters

IMG_20130807_191017_893_zps993068e9.jpg

Shot this little guy at work this am (7:15) at 75 yards with my good ole 17 hmr.. That makes #15 for me and they have all been on the 70 acre farm I work at. Anybody else ever get that many from one small place?

Originally Posted By: PredatorJunkieShot this little guy at work this am (7:15) at 75 yards with my good ole 17 hmr.. That makes #15 for me and they have all been on the 70 acre farm I work at. Anybody else ever get that many from one small place?

I live in a woodchuck "Mecca" so the numbers I see and kill are not representative of the state (or county) in general. I also hunt over 2000 acres worth of farmland to have the level of success that I do. With that being said,

The one farm that I hunt is approximately 150 acres. The farmer isn't terribly good about getting hay made so the fields are tall grass for a decent part of the summer. I'll generally shoot 50-60 woodchucks off of his acreage per year when he's got things mowed. I've tried to come up with an estimate of how many chucks are on the property based on the activity I see vs. the number I shoot. I would put that number at a minimum of 200 woodchucks for the 150 acres but I suspect there could be upwards of 300. I can repeatedly shoot eight or more an evening and see no real impact on the activity.

In 2010 I shot 167 on one farm alone.

I've shot 9 in one half acre field by my house.

Went out after work and sat 10 minutes before I whacked this little pig at 60 yards.. Flipped him right over backwards when I hit him. The second pic is the view I had when I shot him.. He's just to the right of the lean to where it meets the fence. Shot him from a feed through.

wdchuckhunter, you must surely live in 'chuck heaven.. I used to shoot some in Pa., but the areas I hunted years ago, have grown up, and now they have few chucks. Haven't shot there much for 15 years.. But next to coyotes they are my favorite, maybe my all time favorite.. Keep shooting!!!!

It's definitely a good place for chuck hunting.

Took out the .223 again tonight and bagged another seven plus a baby grizzly bear.
ohmy.gif
I half expected it spit out a 55 grain Nosler Varmegeddon and flip me the bird!

What a porker!! Your varmints are definitely weeks ahead of ours. Nothing even comes close in size/weight yet. You should start carrying a digital scale and weigh those monsters. I remember having a 12 pounder last year toward the end of the season.

I also hunt them in Pa. Western Pa about middle of state. Armstrong, butler and Indiana counties. Wdchuckhuntr, we need to get together and kill some whistle pigs. I'm setting at #57 hogs for the year and get most of mine on little farms on way home from work. I actually carry a digital fish scale with me most of time dogbone. Heaviest this year has been a 12.5lb piggy.

Originally Posted By: Gregory_shooterI actually carry a digital fish scale with me most of time dogbone. Heaviest this year has been a 12.5lb piggy. That's a fat piggy for sure!!

Originally Posted By: DogboneYou should start carrying a digital scale and weigh those monsters.

That probably would be easier than trying to fit the bath scale in my pocket!
blink.gif

Must be the fields are getting tall. This thread has been pretty quiet lately. I expected to hear more out of 1up5down on his way to 200 chucks.

What's up with you Dogbone? Cops chase you out of your hunting spots?
grin.gif

I went last night and not a one popped up from a lane that was 350 yards deep. There's 5 holes in that lane that i could see and they were fresh. A coyote popped out though which was my first one seen in the wild. When he popped out, I thought another deer came out. Then I realized it was a coyote but I was a few seconds too late.
frown.gif
By the time a drew a bead on him he was gone.

Back