Keyholing suddenly! Ahhh! 17Rem...

I got busy, and figuring out how to fill the tiny .17 bore with liquid without spilling sent me to the store. Ended up with a baby snot sucker bulb for $1.99.

Today I installed the Sinclair chamber plug and filled the bore to the top from a fresh bottle of Hoppes. It didn't require as much solvent as I figured. Not bad. I taped off the muzzle to prevent evaporation, and it will sit until morning, about 12+ hours. Then I'll scrub with brushes, Montana Extreme, JB paste, etc. Update to follow.

I won't have a chance to shoot it until next week.

This has to be the worst I have every heard on any 17 caliber. Keep us posted. All my guns have never even seen a brush. Either foaming stuff or wipeout till the carbon and blue is gone.

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOG

I won't have a chance to shoot it until next week.

That's BS right there DIRTY DOG!!

If it was my rifle I couldn't stand waiting another week to find out if this latest cleaning does the trick. I recommend you don't wait that long either. Not good for the body.

I spent almost $100 on cleaning supplies at Sinclair:
17a_zps007f92fa.jpg

14 hour barrel soak with Hoppes #9 and chamber plug. Dumped out the solvent and it looked like this:
17b_zps2a2d7f2a.jpg

Ran a bronze brush 25x through the bore one way, from chamber to muzzle. Then a bunch of solvent soaked patches on a jag. Rinsed out the bore with brake cleaner on patches. This was the very fist patch after the initial brush scrubbing:
17c_zps8ab50a95.jpg

Ran several patches on a jag with Montana Extreme 50 BMG. Let is soak 15 min per the instructions. Ran a wet nylon brush 25x from chamber to muzzle. Repeated. Ran a few more wet patches on a jag. Let it soak. Nylon brush, then wet patches on a jag. Then rinsed with brake cleaner on patches.

Then I ran some JB Bore Paste on patches on a jag, one way. Then I wrapped an old worn bronze brush with 2 patches and went back and forth in the bore focusing on the chamber area. I re-applied more JB paste several times during this process. Then I went back to the patch on a jag and did one direction about 10x. Rinsed with brake cleaner.

Then I cleaned with Hoppes, patches on a jag first, then a new bronze brush (they don’t last very long). Then back to a jag. Then rinsed. Here's what it looks like right now, used patches proceed from top left to bottom right (facing the table). I didn't keep all the JB patches, they all look the same.
17d_zpsce18734c.jpg

And now it’s soaking with Montana Extreme again. I will finish that process, then soak the bore overnight again with Hoppes and a chamber plug and start all over again. Finished the 2nd round of Montana Extreme 50 BMG, got some more copper out, but the patches are much lighter blue. Nothing like the original patches.

Any other suggestions for tomorrow’s cleaning routine?

Had a friend with a factory remmy 700 in 17 rem with similar problems. It would start keyholing after 10-15 rounds. I believe he finally sent it back to Remington for a new tube. They wanted to charge him to return the gun back to specs since the stock had been free floated and an aftermarket trigger installed.

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGAny other suggestions for tomorrow’s cleaning routine?

Get some beer. You've earned it.

Travis

I can't believe there is still copper in the bore. I can't wait to see what the patches look like after the second soaking. That bore should look like a mirror by now... Good luck. I hope this works for you. If cleaning was the problem then looks like you are going to have to stay on top of that...Jason

DD,

I'll tell you a little trick I sometimes use with my 17's. I always wanted a plastic jag for using with the copper solvents, but could never find one. So I just cut a bunch of Q-Tips in half and dipped the cotton end into the Sweets or Montana extreme, copper killer stuff and ran or stuck the Q-Tip in the rod minus the jag of course. Doing this removes all doubt about the jag contaminating the patch and making it turn blue.

I buy the cotton swabs in the huge package and use them for cleaning and even some cleanup when I glass bed a rifle.

Originally Posted By: Winny FanOriginally Posted By: JeepyjerYou don't need to scrub that bore so much run sweets tell the blue go's away and your done.Try some new brass I think the problem might be in the brass or bore.I hardly clean my guns even my 17hmr can run a few hundred before it needs cleaning.

Lots of silliness here.

Especially the brass issue and then comparing the cleaning needs of a 17 HMR to that of a CF 17 Remington. Its all kind of like comparing the speed of a Yugo to an Indy race car for tire changes.
w00t.gif

You know what you guys don't have to be a jerk over my opinion either.If you know it all then just tell the op the problem so he can fix it.I was just getting all variable's out of the way new brass in case his annealing was causing it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jeepyjer

Originally Posted By: Winny Fan

Originally Posted By: JeepyjerYou don't need to scrub that bore so much run sweets tell the blue go's away and your done.Try some new brass I think the problem might be in the brass or bore.I hardly clean my guns even my 17hmr can run a few hundred before it needs cleaning.

Lots of silliness here.

Especially the brass issue and then comparing the cleaning needs of a 17 HMR to that of a CF 17 Remington. Its all kind of like comparing the speed of a Yugo to an Indy race car for tire changes.
w00t.gif

You know what you guys don't have to be a jerk over my opinion either.If you know it all then just tell the op the problem so he can fix it.I was just getting all variable's out of the way new brass in case his annealing was causing it.

Now, THAT is really silly!!
lol.gif
lol.gif
tt2.gif

I don't have a 17 but had a 22-250 with a cruddy barrel and I had a friend make me 2 cleaning jags out of aluminum to stop the false color caused by the brass jags.

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: Jeepyjer

Originally Posted By: JeepyjerYou don't need to scrub that bore so much run sweets tell the blue go's away and your done.Try some new brass I think the problem might be in the brass or bore.I hardly clean my guns even my 17hmr can run a few hundred before it needs cleaning.

Lots of silliness here.

w00t.gif

lol.gif
lol.gif
tt2.gif

And the hits just keep rolling!!
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

I have some stainless jags but a guy has to be careful if I think I'm getting blue from the jag I will run a couple patches with the steel jag and see.

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: Jeepyjer

Lots of silliness here.

w00t.gif

lol.gif
lol.gif
tt2.gif

I actually laughed out loud when I read that statement.
Man I love this place
lol.gif

I ran some Montana Extreme patches over the annealed portion of my brass and after soaking the next patch was blue! OMG I think the annealed brass might be getting into my bore?!
scared.gif
J/K.
lol.gif

Have you scrubbed that rifle into a 204 yet
laugh.gif
? I hate to hear you are having so much trouble with the 17 DD. When the day comes that I actually have to clean my 17rem, I hope I don't have to do all this. It will become a decoration or a host to a new barrel if it does. I bought a 1 piece rod for mine in case I ever needed it, but don't even know if I have a 17cal brush, just a jag. I patched mine out with Hoppes 9 when I got it and haven't touched it in over 250rnds. I can't wait to see the verdict and the fix
smirk.gif

Back