Keyholing suddenly! Ahhh! 17Rem...

Originally Posted By: RePete............I love it though.
A month ago the 17Rem was the darling everyone loved or wanted and now that one problem's been reported the nay-sayers come out of the wood work and can't wait to pile on.

Two months from now we'll go through the whole thing all over again. LOL

That's the beauty of the internet, Mr. RePete. Everyone can be an expert at one time or another. Some just have to wait longer to get their chance.

Originally Posted By: tawnoperWork some JB paste a few inches in front of the chamber.

That is still my "guess". The barrel area in front of the chamber is coated with "fire-formed" powder residue that it approaching ceramic consistency (a carbon ring) at this point in time. All accumulated as the result of inadequate cleaning for whatever reason/s.

Notice that I said guess and not expert opinion.

From this side of the computer screen, I cannot see any indication of operator error.

I think that barrel just happens to be the best shooting POS ever machined.

Travis

Originally Posted By: tawnoperWork some JB paste a few inches in front of the chamber.

Why? That's liking wiping a garbage bag down with Wind ex before walking it out to the trash.

(Expert font utilized on this post)

Travis

Now barrels can be "bad" from the git-go and still shoot very well...and then suddenly be bad to the point of key-holing bullets...?

OK. I learned a new guess from an obvious expert today. Not all is lost, I guess.

Originally Posted By: deflaveOriginally Posted By: tawnoperWork some JB paste a few inches in front of the chamber.

Why? That's liking wiping a garbage bag down with Wind ex before walking it out to the trash.

Travis

Hey Travis, thanks for reminding me why I don't post on this POS anymore. Lots of people like yourself sitting on the sidelines playing with themselves.

BTW...Windex is one word. Same as clown.

Last edited:
I have been watching this thread and would really like to see what ends up being the problem .
I have a cz 17 rem and it shoots great.
That being said knowing my luck it will take a dump on me next trip out.

Originally Posted By: deflave

I think that barrel just happens to be the best shooting POS ever machined.

Travis Keyhole envy?
tt1.gif

I think you might be a little bit jealous of the unique groups I'm able to shoot from my POS. Anybody can shoot round bullet holes in a target, but it takes a unique rifle to do it like this and still be sub moa at 100 yards. I even hit the dot I was aiming at:
July202013011b_zps30cb935f.jpg

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

I don't have a 17 of any sort and really have no desire, at this point, to own own one. But, I would really be interested to know the problem when it figured out.

P.S. Nothing against 17's, just ain't my bag.

DD,

Truth be told I do like that little rig. I just think you got screwed on that barrel. I'm on my 4th .17 Rem and I don't think your cleaning habits have anything to do with your problem. I'm actually very cautious to blame anything like that on fouling. But, it's pretty obvious you've pursued other avenues and I'm not seeing anything on your end that really needs to be fixed.

'Bout the only other thing you could do is shoot some other .17 Rem ammo (you're welcome to mine) or have somebody else shoot your reloads (I ain't skeered). I also have some Bergers I could send you to try (but I doubt they'll do anything magical).

And if it is simply a fouling issue, I can't imagine anybody keeping that barrel for more than a week. I'm well past the 300 round mark in my .17 this season and I think I've used Wipe-Out once. The fouling "myth" was actually born in truth based on what I've read from the late sixties and early seventies. So at this point I can't imagine what else could be doing that. And I have had thin skinned .17 bullets come unglued, but they look nothing like yours. You'd have remnants and shrapnel if that were the culprit.

Travis

It really makes me start to wonder! But I still think it is Carbon/Copper. There is a little bit of difference between the 17rem and the 17 fireball but not a lot! I run the 20gr V max's thru mine at just a little over 4025fps but its only a 16" barrel and I shot 650 rounds in two days with out one drop of Cleaning, not even thinking of cleaning it.. in may at the NOS sagerat shoot and it can be verified. so I took it out and gave it a shot out to 500yds on some steel just to see how bad it shot..

Don't look to bad to me
smile.gif

SO NOW I really wonder!!! It may be something else going on
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: tawnoperOriginally Posted By: deflaveOriginally Posted By: tawnoperWork some JB paste a few inches in front of the chamber.

Travis

Hey Travis, thanks for reminding me why I don't post on this POS anymore. Lots of people like yourself sitting on the sidelines playing with themselves.

BTW...Windex is one word. Same as clown.

Wow he can spell.

Originally Posted By: deflaveMaybe if he played with himself he wouldn't be so angry?

Travis

Stop playing with yourself Travis your gonna go blind don't you know. Lol

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGI thought foaming bore cleaners like Wipe Out were supposed to work wonders, which is why I tried it finally for the first time. Perhaps it does not work so well afterall?

Just saw this thread, Wow what a bummer.
I have used Wipe Out for bad copper build up and it works awesome for me.
To bad it is not working on that .17
I have found that sometimes it takes a 2nd Wipe Session on the bad ones.
Also I found Not to use anything else in between Wipe Out sessions.
Don't use it much anymore as my bores come clean pretty easy with just a few patch of Butches bore shine.

Just for shits & giggles how about re-cleaning the bore and backing off on your load a little? looking at the pics it seems like you have got a big differance in pressure in just a few shots.. like it is fowling quickly

Back