Who needs a $2500 scope????? ReALLy????

Originally Posted By: tawnoperYou really don't "need" a high or higher end scope to hunt coyotes, I own a few less expensive brands that work pretty darn well. But, do yourself a favor...never look through a higher end scope, especially in low light or at night. You'll be ruined.

AMEN!!! This is the truth!

Originally Posted By: CaliCoyoteCallerWell, Im seriously considering pulling the trigger on this Leupold VX3i 6x20x50...Its about $1,200 and this is HIGH DOLLAR FOR ME...considering Ive never paid over $300 for a scope....I think it will be a nice change compared to what I have been using....To many, this is just a mid range scope, for me, itll be a Ferari lol

https://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting...cus-cds-target/

Will you be using this 6 X 20 X 50 scope for coyote calling?

Many years ago I bought a 6.5 X 20 X 40 Leupold scope for about $550.00 and I tried calling coyotes with it. That scope didn't work nearly as good for coyote calling as the $350.00 Leupold 4 X 12 X 40 Leupold scopes did.

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobOriginally Posted By: CaliCoyoteCallerWell, Im seriously considering pulling the trigger on this Leupold VX3i 6x20x50...Its about $1,200 and this is HIGH DOLLAR FOR ME...considering Ive never paid over $300 for a scope....I think it will be a nice change compared to what I have been using....To many, this is just a mid range scope, for me, itll be a Ferari lol

Many years ago I bought a 6.5 X 20 X 40 Leupold scope for about $550.00 and I tried calling coyotes with it. That scope didn't work nearly as good for coyote calling as the $350.00 Leupold 4 X 12 X 40 Leupold scopes did.

Yes, that is pretty much all Id be shooting with it, except maybe the occasional squirrel when yote huning gets real slow....What did you not like about it?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobOriginally Posted By: CaliCoyoteCallerWell, Im seriously considering pulling the trigger on this Leupold VX3i 6x20x50...Its about $1,200 and this is HIGH DOLLAR FOR ME...considering Ive never paid over $300 for a scope....I think it will be a nice change compared to what I have been using....To many, this is just a mid range scope, for me, itll be a Ferari lol

Many years ago I bought a 6.5 X 20 X 40 Leupold scope for about $550.00 and I tried calling coyotes with it. That scope didn't work nearly as good for coyote calling as the $350.00 Leupold 4 X 12 X 40 Leupold scopes did. I believe that Calicoyote (Josh) mostly does his hunting at night. Can't speak for him, but I believe that's the reason he's looking at a 6X20 rather than a 4X12....I've used many power scopes and love my 4X12's...but I'm sure you know this, the 6X18, 6x20 or the 6.5x20 works better at night, at least for me. Correct me if I'm wrong Josh!

Last edited:

Yup. I agree with Bob.

6 x 20 is way too much scope for calling coyotes IMO. 3x9 or 4x12 is perfect IMO. For a lot of years I used a fixed 6x power Leupold on my main calling rifle. Once I started using Variables I noticed that I hardly ever changed the setting from 5-6x power. That made sense because that fixed 6x worked extremely well. A nice scope for the money is a 3.5x10 Leupold VX3. It works extremely well at night too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DropadoglvOriginally Posted By: derbyacresbobOriginally Posted By: CaliCoyoteCallerWell, Im seriously considering pulling the trigger on this Leupold VX3i 6x20x50...Its about $1,200 and this is HIGH DOLLAR FOR ME...considering Ive never paid over $300 for a scope....I think it will be a nice change compared to what I have been using....To many, this is just a mid range scope, for me, itll be a Ferari lol

Many years ago I bought a 6.5 X 20 X 40 Leupold scope for about $550.00 and I tried calling coyotes with it. That scope didn't work nearly as good for coyote calling as the $350.00 Leupold 4 X 12 X 40 Leupold scopes did. I believe that Calicoyote (Josh) mostly does his hunting at night. Can't speak for him, but I believe that's the reason he's looking at a 6X20 rather than a 4X12....I've used many power scopes and love my 4X12's...but I'm sure you know this, the 6X18, 6x20 or the 6.5x20 works better at night, at least for me. Correct me if I'm wrong Josh!

Rick, as you know, I do hunt a lot at night....but I have to honestly say, the reason I wanted the 6x20 was for longer shots during the day too...but, maybe IM WRONG, maybe Im over thinking it and maybe that is too much scope for coyote calling....Honestly, its very seldome I ever take over 300 yard shots during the day time calling trips....Do you think Im over thinking this, and maybe a 4x12, or 4x14, or 3x10 would be much better suited for calling yotes???

Originally Posted By: tawnoperOriginally Posted By: derbyacresbobOriginally Posted By: CaliCoyoteCallerWell, Im seriously considering pulling the trigger on this Leupold VX3i 6x20x50...Its about $1,200 and this is HIGH DOLLAR FOR ME...considering Ive never paid over $300 for a scope....I think it will be a nice change compared to what I have been using....To many, this is just a mid range scope, for me, itll be a Ferari lol

Im asking your honest opinion here....

Yup. I agree with Bob.

6 x 20 is way too much scope for calling coyotes IMO. 3x9 or 4x12 is perfect IMO. For a lot of years I used a fixed 6x power Leupold on my main calling rifle. Once I started using Variables I noticed that I hardly ever changed the setting from 5-6x power. That made sense because that fixed 6x worked extremely well. A nice scope for the money is a 3.5x10 Leupold VX3. It works extremely well at night too.

I rarely shoot over 300 yards on a coyote, simply because I can usually bring them in much closer.....So you think 10x or 12x is plenty of scope and the 20x is just too much and over kill?? Im asking your honest opinion, Im not being a jerk...Maybe Im WAY OVERTHINKING IT, and its over kill...I have a tendency to be overboard at times...maybe I dont need that much scope.

No, I don't think your over thinking it. As said prior, all depends on your hunting needs...Jmho, I like and use the Vortex Viper 6.5X20 on most of my predator rifles, and most of my calling is at dusk throughout the night. So that works for me. Also, when I call during the day, I have no problem taking a shot in the 300+ yd range. So it suits my needs. If your strictly calling during daylight, myself, would go with a nice 4X12. Great "all-around" power.

I'm a 3-9 guy on my calling rifles. Start the majority of stands dialed in to 6, but have a few places I start at 4. I have been debating trying a 4-12 mainly for purposes of some long range glassing with the rifle and also because I have Teflon fingers with money.

The 6.5 X 20 X 40 Leupold scope that I had was very sensitive on the eye relief depending on what the power was set at.

So I couldn't see clearly though the scope with out moving my head forward or backward when the scope was set on a higher power.

With my 4 X 12 X 40 Leupold scopes they can be set at 4 power through 12 power and I don't have to move my head forward or backwards to get the right eye relief to see clearly through the scope.

The reason I like 4 X 12s over 3 X 9s is for sighting my rifles in at 100 yards. My eyes are not as good as they use to be. LOL

I can see a 1" dot at 100 yards much better with 12 power than I can with 9 power. I can also see ground squirrels much better with 12 power.

I very seldom shoot at coyotes over 300 yards and the 12 power works fine for that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CaliCoyoteCallerOriginally Posted By: tawnoperOriginally Posted By: derbyacresbobOriginally Posted By: CaliCoyoteCallerWell, Im seriously considering pulling the trigger on this Leupold VX3i 6x20x50...Its about $1,200 and this is HIGH DOLLAR FOR ME...considering Ive never paid over $300 for a scope....I think it will be a nice change compared to what I have been using....To many, this is just a mid range scope, for me, itll be a Ferari lol

Yup. I agree with Bob.

I rarely shoot over 300 yards on a coyote, simply because I can usually bring them in much closer.....So you think 10x or 12x is plenty of scope and the 20x is just too much and over kill?? Im asking your honest opinion, Im not being a jerk...Maybe Im WAY OVERTHINKING IT, and its over kill...I have a tendency to be overboard at times...maybe I dont need that much scope.

You sorta answered your own question. You rarely shoot at a coyote over 300 yards...which when you're calling is usually the case. 300 yards is a piece, especially sitting on your duff shooting off of sticks. In all the years I've been hunting I've seen more missed at 300+ then hit. Even if you do take a long shot...9x or even 12x should be more than enough

20x isn't really needed IMO. At night it's too much, and even in the day, on a hot day you'll be cranking it down to get rid of mirage.

The rifle scopes I use for calling are 2X-12X(.204 AI), 3X-18X(6mm) & 2X-10X(.223AR).

The Shotgun wears a Leupold 1X Prismatic. I would like to swap it out for a Leupold 1X-4X.

Along with a low magnification / wide field of view setting I also value the friendly eye box they provide. In my opinion a good 3X-9X is hard to beat on a calling rifle.

Just what works for me.
smile.gif

Last edited:
These guys are spot on. On the low end 3x works, 4x is ok, 6x has cost me a few shots and rushed a bunch.
Going to 3-15 or 3-18 has spoiled me when 3.5-10 has done a great job for decades and still have some.

Originally Posted By: tawnoperOriginally Posted By: CaliCoyoteCallerOriginally Posted By: tawnoperOriginally Posted By: derbyacresbobOriginally Posted By: CaliCoyoteCallerWell, Im seriously considering pulling the trigger on this Leupold VX3i 6x20x50...Its about $1,200 and this is HIGH DOLLAR FOR ME...considering Ive never paid over $300 for a scope....I think it will be a nice change compared to what I have been using....To many, this is just a mid range scope, for me, itll be a Ferari lol

Yup. I agree with Bob.

You sorta answered your own question. You rarely shoot at a coyote over 300 yards...which when you're calling is usually the case. 300 yards is a piece, especially sitting on your duff shooting off of sticks. In all the years I've been hunting I've seen more missed at 300+ then hit. Even if you do take a long shot...9x or even 12x should be more than enough

20x isn't really needed IMO. At night it's too much, and even in the day, on a hot day you'll be cranking it down to get rid of mirage.

I will def agree, 300 yards sitting down with sticks/bipod is and can be a difficult shot...shooting prone, not so much of big deal..off a bipod, you better focus for sure.

Tawnoper, I may be missing something here, I can see a 20X as being a little much during the day, and understand the mirage effect, but: I've used a 9X, 12X, 20X at night. All set on mid power..4.5, 6, 10. I have most of my predator rifles at a 100yd zero. At least to my eye, I've noticed a big difference between all of them, as far as clarity without adjusting any settings. I'm using for example a 26" browning X-Bolt, chambered in .223, and 55gr. Honaday V-max. Mounted light is a "Coyote Light" in red. The glass I'm referring too, is a Vortex Crossfire 3X9, Vortex Diamond Back 4X12 & Vortex Viper 6.5X20. I'm not sure why the higher power would be worse at night? Can you please elaborate....thank you sir.

Originally Posted By: DropadoglvTawnoper, I may be missing something here, I can see a 20X as being a little much during the day, and understand the mirage effect, but: I've used a 9X, 12X, 20X at night. All set on mid power..4.5, 6, 10. I have most of my predator rifles at a 100yd zero. At least to my eye, I've noticed a big difference between all of them, as far as clarity without adjusting any settings. I'm using for example a 26" browning X-Bolt, chambered in .223, and 55gr. Honaday V-max. Mounted light is a "Coyote Light" in red. The glass I'm referring too, is a Vortex Crossfire 3X9, Vortex Diamond Back 4X12 & Vortex Viper 6.5X20. I'm not sure why the higher power would be worse at night? Can you please elaborate....thank you sir.

Nothing to elaborate on as to why it's no good. If a 20x scope works for you, great! That's what's important...personal preference. There are no hard or fast rules. I was just giving an opinion...although my opinion was formed over about 35 years.

I can elaborate on what "I" dont like about 20x though...

Too much power. Not necessary. As stated, crappy eye relief, no field of view. on and on.

At night most of your shots are not too far. Most of the ones I've poked between the eyes were ones that we missed on the first shot or the second of a pair. I don't shoot at just eyes unless I'm sure what it is.

A couple more reasons I don't find 20x helpful. Distance is tough to judge at night. Finding downed animals way out there is really tough sometimes. Anything within achievable distance can be seen just fine at 9x or less.

Some guys like thin crosshairs or a dot or mil dots...again, I hate that stuff. for ground squirrels or targets they're fine but for night hunting coyotes a nice bright 6x scope with thick duplex crosshairs is almost cheating...IMO.

Originally Posted By: tawnoperOriginally Posted By: DropadoglvTawnoper, I may be missing something here, I can see a 20X as being a little much during the day, and understand the mirage effect, but: I've used a 9X, 12X, 20X at night. All set on mid power..4.5, 6, 10. I have most of my predator rifles at a 100yd zero. At least to my eye, I've noticed a big difference between all of them, as far as clarity without adjusting any settings. I'm using for example a 26" browning X-Bolt, chambered in .223, and 55gr. Honaday V-max. Mounted light is a "Coyote Light" in red. The glass I'm referring too, is a Vortex Crossfire 3X9, Vortex Diamond Back 4X12 & Vortex Viper 6.5X20. I'm not sure why the higher power would be worse at night? Can you please elaborate....thank you sir.

Nothing to elaborate on as to why it's no good. If a 20x scope works for you, great! That's what's important...personal preference. There are no hard or fast rules. I was just giving an opinion...although my opinion was formed over about 35 years.

I can elaborate on what "I" dont like about 20x though...

Too much power. Not necessary. As stated, crappy eye relief, no field of view. on and on.

At night most of your shots are not too far. Most of the ones I've poked between the eyes were ones that we missed on the first shot or the second of a pair. I don't shoot at just eyes unless I'm sure what it is.

A couple more reasons I don't find 20x helpful. Distance is tough to judge at night. Finding downed animals way out there is really tough sometimes. Anything within achievable distance can be seen just fine at 9x or less.

Some guys like thin crosshairs or a dot or mil dots...again, I hate that stuff. for ground squirrels or targets they're fine but for night hunting coyotes a nice bright 6x scope with thick duplex crosshairs is almost cheating...IMO.

Awe, got ya'...Guess the bottom line is, whatever floats your boat! I respect your input, and thanks for the response.

Back