Who needs a $2500 scope????? ReALLy????

I like and really enjoy my three Nightforce scopes. Two are sitting on long range rigs. One of which is sitting in a custom rifle with a wildcat chamber. My calling rifle is a more simple .223 with a Nikon Monarch and I love it!
The Nightforce have such exceptional glass its hard to describe. The turrets repeat so well. Me and my hunting partner hunt coyotes at long range when given the chance. Having high end glass makes the shot/kill a little easier for the shooter in many ways.
Bottom line is I did a lot of side welding to get my custom rifle and my three Nightforce scopes so I would enjoy coyote hunting more!
Thats WHY I have the equipment I have! Is that good enough reason?

Originally Posted By: DropadoglvI agree with 6mm: it would fall into the category of "want" and not "need". Last year I purchased a Nightforce ATACR., which was right around $2600. Did I need it? No, but I sure wanted it!!! The time I bought it, I needed no justification for purchasing it. And now, In fact, I don't even have it mounted on any of my predator weapons. This applies to everything made. If you can afford it, go for it. Right now my hunt bud has a high dollar FLIR scope. I looked into getting one, but I was looking at gen's that were in the $10,000 range. Do I "need" it????. As of now, "yes"....lol, will I be getting it anytime soon, more than likely "no". For me, I just can't justify that cost for hunting something you can't (won't) eat. And I'll be man enough to say it!!!! "THE WIFE"!!!

THE WIFE..YES!!!! That is a HUGE FACTOR LOL HAHA...THANKS FOR BEING MAN ENOUGH TO SAY IT LOL

Originally Posted By: Lefty SRHI like and really enjoy my three Nightforce scopes. Two are sitting on long range rigs. One of which is sitting in a custom rifle with a wildcat chamber. My calling rifle is a more simple .223 with a Nikon Monarch and I love it!
The Nightforce have such exceptional glass its hard to describe. The turrets repeat so well. Me and my hunting partner hunt coyotes at long range when given the chance. Having high end glass makes the shot/kill a little easier for the shooter in many ways.
Bottom line is I did a lot of side welding to get my custom rifle and my three Nightforce scopes so I would enjoy coyote hunting more!

You worked your butt off to get them, and that is ABSOLUTELY enough reaon....I wasnt posting this too say, "people shouldnt/dont need those scopes." it was more of looking for the reasons purchased the scope..the benefit? Which, I knew it was more of a WANT, than a NEED, but I just wanted to get other's .02 on the topic...Congrats on the nice set ups you have!! Im sure they are SWEET to shoot!

Great Question. Yes everyone should have the best they can afford if they so choose.

I do not own any $2K rifle scopes. The three I use the most are a couple of VX-6s and a Conquest HD-5. I love them! However I am on my second pair of Leica Geovids that do surpass the $2K mark by some(GREAT TOOL).

I expect I will be taking the "High Dollar Plunge" for a top end rifle scope before too long.

I believe you, or I can kill as many called coyotes with a good $300 rifle scope as we can with a $3K rifle scope. But for me it's about having the best possible look for the pic I take with my minds eye at that moment the pin hits the primer! For that I want the best I can afford.
tongue_smilie.gif

For my taste and what I do with them I dont want to spend that much for the very best. Does the price mean it is the best. In some cases it does and some cases doesn't. I am not a fan of busy reticles and turrents with twisty knobs. I consider my conquests and vx3s to be the best for what I do in my opinion.

My 21' aluminum bass boat is the best boat for what I do IMO. My brother has a top of the line 21' ranger that costs almost 3 times what mine does new. He wont fish where I do and no one looks twice at my boat. Everyone thinks that his is beautiful and it is. We both catch lots of fish and shoot a bunch of deer. He likes plstic stocks and cheap guns. I prefer good wood and gloss blue.

Just different strokes for different folks. Sometimes you just want some style points. Beat up trucks and fancy motorcycles, weatherby rifles for me.

Originally Posted By: Lefty SRHI like and really enjoy my three Nightforce scopes. Two are sitting on long range rigs. One of which is sitting in a custom rifle with a wildcat chamber. My calling rifle is a more simple .223 with a Nikon Monarch and I love it!

Steve, sounds like just sitting back and looking at that nice equipment gives you a warm fuzzy feeling, eh?!!

I hear ya!!!

Now go shoot something, and send me some holy pics!!! Hee Hee!!

Last edited:
I wish I was asking this question. About 8 years back I though my Nikon buckmasters scope was it. As a kid I grew up with iron sights, tascos, package Bushnell's, etc, and didn't know they even offered scopes above a few hundred bucks.

When I got my.first rifle I bought the best scope I could afford. The second rifle I looked online, not at the local stores, and holy crap what's a 750 dollar rifle scope all about? So I bought it. So on and so on. I'm still not to S&B, TT, USO, etc but when I look through a cheaper scope after spending most of my time with mid tier scopes, $1500+, it blows my mind how much more I enjoy being behind a good scope.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanOriginally Posted By: Lefty SRHI like and really enjoy my three Nightforce scopes. Two are sitting on long range rigs. One of which is sitting in a custom rifle with a wildcat chamber. My calling rifle is a more simple .223 with a Nikon Monarch and I love it!

Steve, sounds like just sitting back and looking at that nice equipment gives you a warm fuzzy feeling, eh?!!

I hear ya!!!

Now go shoot something, and send me some holy pics!!! Hee Hee!!

Keith, Ive shot most of them around here already. The ones I havent gotten to yet refuse to come out during the light of day......cause they dont know where the shot is going to come from......lol!

Last edited:
For myself life is too short to look thru shixxy glass.I look thru a scope long enough day in and day out and I appreciate the glass clarity, I make part of my living from coyotes and my clients don't care if they are at 50 yards or 700 yards all they care about is dead coyotes.
I need something that is reliable turning turrets day in and out. I'm picky about glass as you are about triggers. My preference right now happens to be Schmidt & Bender. I prefer FFP reticle and locking turrets. If it don't have all 3 I find something else. The other scope I run is a Leupold Mark 6 3-18x44, This is my minimum.The next scope purchase will be Vortex new Razor HD AMG if the reviews hold out. It basically boils down to what a guys application is and his/her perceived need. My perceived need is tier 1 gear. I have money on the line and don't have time for warranty work. As DAA stated I hope a company's warranty department is bored!

My optic serves two purposes, glassing for game and obviously making the shot.......
I didn't really get what all the fuss was about when I bolted up my first Night Force. That is until.........I went back to using a Nikon for a day.

It was like wearing a set of prescription glasses vs. using a set of reading glasses that you would buy at a drug store......one will give you a headache if you use it all day.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CaliCoyoteCallerWell, I get a lil board with waiting on new post or topics so i just kinda start my own lol...glad you enjoy them. It helps my dad at the office go by better too lol

i have a question. where do you work?

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: CaliCoyoteCallerWell, I get a lil board with waiting on new post or topics so i just kinda start my own lol...glad you enjoy them. It helps my dad at the office go by better too lol

i have a question. where do you work? lol, think he meant "day" go by.

Originally Posted By: CaliCoyoteCaller cause Id love to have one if I could justify it...

You can make the same argument about, who needs a 3-5K dollar custom rifle?

You are exactly correct, "if" you can justify it, then the benefits of hi end equipment outweigh the cost.

Some people "need" a 2500+ dollar optic, and some people just want it. If you need it, it's much different than want, unless you can afford the want, there is nothing wrong with spending money on it.

Originally Posted By: skinneyOriginally Posted By: CaliCoyoteCaller cause Id love to have one if I could justify it...

You can make the same argument about, who needs a 3-5K dollar custom rifle?

You are exactly correct, "if" you can justify it, then the benefits of hi end equipment outweigh the cost.

Some people "need" a 2500+ dollar optic, and some people just want it. If you need it, it's much different than want, unless you can afford the want, there is nothing wrong with spending money on it. true, true...was watching a "fur takers" episode and Big Al Morris stated he was using a "right out of the box tikka", but his main item was putting a high end scope on it. (Which I'm sure that was one of his sponsors).

You really don't "need" a high or higher end scope to hunt coyotes, I own a few less expensive brands that work pretty darn well. But, do yourself a favor...never look through a higher end scope, especially in low light or at night. You'll be ruined.

Back