what was the first rifle or shotgun you recieved?

My first was a Crossman 177 cal. phneumatic(sp)BB/Pellet rifle for Christmas in 66'. Very accurate. I used to line up the front sight on pencils and break them @25' with boring regularity and then went to kitchen matches and finally, no lie, tried to light one and flash, I did, on more than one accasion. On a down note I was too stupid and young to appreciate what I had and took it apart one day and never got it back together to pump up right.
My first real firearm was a single shot Rem. 581 .22. I had put a it's cousin, the 580 that had 5 round box magazine on layaway when I was 11 and started mowing lawns to bail it out but when school started I still didn't have it so I started saving my lunch money, 50 cents a day. When I had $35.00 to put on it I got impatient and hitchhiked to McBride's Guns in Austin and bought the single shot.
When I started coon hunting I needed a repeater so I sold it for ten dollars and bought a used Marlin 39 for 35.00.
I believe that was the most accurate rifle I ever owned.
It was stolen in a burglary but I plan on replacing it someday.

I had several pellet guns growing up, but what I consider my first was my Remington 597. Mom got it for me for christmas, several years ago, still have it and shoot it quite a bit too.

my first official gun was a Ruger 10/22 when I turned 8.. got it for christmas and still have it and still use it had it for 21 years now and its still as accurate as when i first got it

My 1st was a Remington 5MM Mag.(think of it as a big 22Mag) given to me from my dad. Killed many ground Squirrels at my aunt and Uncle farm. Still have it love to shoot it but shells $$$$ last time I bought some $35.00 a box of 50.

I bought my first gun, a Winchester Model 12, new in the box for $85.00, in 1963. I'll never get rid of it, too many memories.

OOPS, I lied. I forgot the Winchester Ranger 22 my dad passed on to me. His dad gave it to him, don't know how old that one is. Lots of rabbit's saw the business end of that little gun.

Last edited:
My first rifle was a tube feed, bolt action Marlin 22lr. I had to spend my own money on it. I really wanted a semi-auto, clip feed rifle. Kinda like dads nylon 66, but my dad said I had to have a bolt action, which was $50 more. So I had to save another 4 months to get it. I was happy to finally have a rifle at age 12 but was never really happy with it. It wasn't very accurate with iron sites and dad wouldn't let me spend any money on a scope. So I never really got to excited about rifles as a boy. Later when the 17 HMR came out I used it as trade stock for my Savage 93fv17. I wish sometimes I still had it to give to my boy, but I would never give up my Savage to have it back. He'll probably get a 10/22 anyway...

I got a .22 training rifle of some sort that I can't remember. I also got a double barrel 20 guage for pheasant hunting. The one I really remember is the .243 Rem. 700 I got in 1978 for my 14th birthday. I still have it although it looks a little different.

IMG_3131.jpg

first rifle was a colt .22,with a westernfield name on it and i still have it today

my first shotty was a savage pump that had a 30"+ barrel on it(what a club)

Last edited:
My first rifle was a Marlin .22 880SS. I think it was a birthday present around 16. My first shotgun was a Remington Spartan 310 12 gauge o/u. I still have the .22 but sold the 12 gauge.

Originally Posted By: Brendan43I got a .22 training rifle of some sort that I can't remember. I also got a double barrel 20 guage for pheasant hunting. The one I really remember is the .243 Rem. 700 I got in 1978 for my 14th birthday. I still have it although it looks a little different.

IMG_3131.jpg

look at that beutiful coat on that badger! nice rifle too!

My first gun was a Remington 270 and I still have it. Fixing to load up a bunch of rounds for it so I can just go plank around. Been awhile since I shot it.

1st - Win 67 boys rifle 22 for my 7th birthday gift
2d - Mossberg 800 308 for my 15th birthday gift
3d - Stevens 311 double 12 ga I bought as a newlywed
Mossberg 308 was victim of my first burglary, sold Stevens 12 to my youngest brother.
Daughter sweet-talked me out of my Win 22 years ago, but now, just had her 4th child, so it'll keep being used, and in the family. I used to compete with that little rifle in the Junior NRA, put a Lyman peep sight, ramped the front. It'll still hit the end of a pop can @ 80 yards, constantly. It's had to have had over 100,000 rounds through it!
Mark

First shotgun-Remington 870
First rifle-NEF .17HMR
Unless you'd count a bb gun as my first rifle.If you look at it that way my first rifle was a Crosman 788 BB Scout.It was a sparrow killin machine until I finally wore it out.

Last edited:
First shotgun that was given to me was an old model 12 20ga with a cutts comp on it. Shot alot of skeet and pheasants with it. Worked great until one cold winter day we were hunting pheasants and quail. We busted acouple covies of quail and my brother was using it. He shot 2 rounds on the rise. The we got acouple of singles up and he shot 2 more times reloaded 2 rounds each time then we got another covey up and he shot 2 more times and the gun was dry. The tang on the reciever that pushes the next round up into the chamber was so week that it was pumping full shells out the bottom of the gun. It was the last bird hunt it went on.
The first rifle was a remington 700 classic in 243. Shot lots of prarrie dogs,yotes, squirrels and a couple of deer with it. It got a face lift a couple of yrs ago with a new stock and new heavy barrel. Still shoots the way it did when I got it.
The first shotgun that I bought with my paper route money was an 1100 special field in 20ga. I would hate to guess the number of rounds that has gone through that gun. Still have it and the youngest son(11yrs old) can sure pound the claybirds with it. Will never get rid of any one of those 3.

My first was also my dads first it is a montgomery wards single shot 410. Its about eighty years old now and still looks new.

My 1st would be a Daisy bb gun, like a Red Rider, then came the Sheridan. I loved that Sheridan Blue streak. 8 or was it 10 pumps and then I would snipe a Valley quail off tall head stones in the local cemetary. May seem wierd now but that was what got my hooked back in the late 60s. Alec

Back