what was the first rifle or shotgun you recieved?

I was taught to shoot with my grandfather's Remington .22 Single shot at six, and was given my own Stevens/Springfield

Stevens-Springfield-22lr.jpg

when I was ten...Killed a bunch of Rabbits and Squirrels with it...The stock has been refinished a couple of times, it cycles a little slower than some of the newer ones, but still as accurate as when I first received it..

I was like around 10 and it was an H&R 20 gauge single shot that I got for Christmas. I remember I was tiny and that gun kicked and I'd beg the dogs not run the rabbit my way.LOL

My first was an Ithaca Model 49(single shot, tipping block .22 that resembles a lever action repeater) my dad got for me when I was 6. He bought it from an Air Force member that was rotating overseas and couldn't keep it. He got it cheaper than any BB gun at the time. I still have it and I'm teaching my 6 and 4 year olds to shoot with it.

First shotgun I received was a Mossburg 500 20gauge. That is the first gun that was actually mine. Of course I was allowed to borrow some others before dad decided I could handle my own. I still have it, plan to give it to my son for his first gun when he is old enough.

My parents go me a savage model 67 12ga. pump when I was 12. I still have it and shoot it occasionally. I still remember that xmas vividly. Soon my grandson will carry it.

J C Higgens 22. I got it for Christmas in 1958. A short time later I bought a 410 single shot shotgun for $15 from a buddy.

I wish I still had the shotgun. Usually the cheap 410's are just that. Cheap. This one was mirror blued with a thin barrel and a light receiver. The gun was beautiful but being a 15 year old kid I didn't appreciate what I had. I killed a lot of rabbits, ducks and pheasants with that shotgun. My family moved to Taiwan and I sold both guns to a wealthy Chinese gentleman. When I got back to the states I picked up a Nylon 66 and a 700 ADL 30-06 with the money I got from selling those two guns.

Rifle to permanently be mine- Howa 1500 .308 got it for my 14th bday in october.
shotgun on loan but had for almost a year from grandpa- winchester mdoel 1200 pump 12 guage.

First rifle was a Browning BL-22 that Dad gave me when I was 12 for helping him put up hay all summer. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Will always keep it of course, still looks and shoots great. I used to watch re-runs of the Rifleman then I'd go out and practice hip shooting LOL.

I bought my first rifle myself- a 788 in .22-250. Later, I was given a Ruger Single Six .22 LR by an uncle and decades later, a Ruger M77 in .22-250 (the 788 being long- and stupidly- gone). I've bought all my own guns besides those two.

H&R topper model 88 410 given to me when i was about 5, by an old friend of the family who was on his death bed. his wife worked at otasco, and they were closing and had paid their employees with store merchandise. it was NIB. i was allowed to carry a springfeild single shot 22 at the time (whitch i also still have) but i wanted to shoot the 410. it was as tall as me and knocked me down when i shot it. it was a few years before i shot it any more.

An old Marlin Single shot bolt 22. Traded it many many years ago, but I can go get it right now since it's really just down the road.

t/c223encore.

Mine was a Sears & Roebucks bolt action 22, still have it and it still shoots as good as ever, christmas of a long time ago, I was nine, lotta critters have bit the dust from that old 22.

Bob

Back