What happened to Predator Masters???

XenForo

Been a while since I looked into the costs, but what I was finding, we didn't have. And it wasn't $1000

I won't pretend to know the potentially complicating, expense adding details.

But this was just the first one that popped up in a google search, one of many.

https://profprojects.com/migrate-ubb-threads-to-xenforo/

100,000 users and 1,000,000 posts migrated from UBB to Xenfro for $795. PM might have more than a million posts? Definitely doesn't have a million worth saving though. Script could yank out all the one sentence replies, for instance, trim it down a lot, in a hurry.

At the end of the day, migration is just a custom script. Outfits like the above have already written them and just need to plug in the variables specific to a given forum for the migration. Then just run it. This isn't custom programming. It's off the shelf stuff.

But, like I said, I don't know any of the particulars of PM. I do know, a 4x4 forum I'm on, did this same migration a couple years ago and it's been a huge success. They have more than 20 years worth of archives, too. It's just a local 4x4 board, but it has way more activity than PM does.

I don't know that a software upgrade will "save" PM. PM has shot itself in the Johnson so many times I cringe to even think about it. But I'm pretty sure PM is not going to gain any momentum or become more vibrant without an upgrade. Could trudge along like it is for a long time, but it's got zero long term viability without some badly needed modernizing.

Get a few quotes on the migration. You might be pleasantly surprised how affordable it might actually be.

Good choice on xenforo, too, BTW...

- DAA

some years ago we exceeded 3 million.

costs might be cheaper now than when I last looked.

I know another forum, huge in comparison to PM, that did this from VBulletin some years ago. I know the owner & webmaster, have had some talks with them about the experience. That's what go me interested in the platform.

Accurate Shooter has Gold,Bronze, and Silver memberships. These are rated by the amount a person donates to the site. Each come with a little added privilege, not sure just what? Maybe how many time you can use the classifieds for free. I'm not really sure but it might be a way to generate a little more cash flow to the site. I think they run between $25-$100 donation. Some donate a small amount when they sell something also.

I hate this software. It has some virtues:

It works as expected. I know how to administer it & do most things that need to be done.

OK, that's about all of the virtues LOL

But it's become an obsolete, unsupported platform that predates the current state of things. Posting pics is a PITA, there's no cut & paste, drag & drop, or even just uploading or attaching an image. Posting videos requires it's own syntax (thing there is an icon with a dropdown that helps with that somewhat).

There is no actual mobile support. Yes, the site runs in a browser but with wasn't written with mobile devices in mind, as they didn't even exist. So it doesn't scale to fit the device and is a PITA to use.

The single biggest problem in the past in moving has been the database, how to migrate the data without losing anything significant. When I started looking into Xenforo one major advantage is that there was at least one tool available to move a site's DB from UBB.threads to Xenforo. It still had to be bought and the mapping & moving had to actually be done, everything adds to the costs.

But it's possible, the tools exist.

And Xenforo has full mobile support, is itself an active, supported platform and it has all sorts of functionality that we lack now. I haven't seen anything else yet that comes close. Might be something but I haven't seen it.

I do agree that getting off this software is essential for the long term, it's just a problem that so far hasn't been solved.

Stu Farish

I think it would be worth the effort to get exact cost to move it over. I don’t feel that the archive is a complete deal breaker, if it means moving forward PM has a new face and chance to be what it once was. As I mentioned, would it be possible to leave the archive for viewing only and cut costs drastically down?

I think there are a bunch of ways to “raise” the money, from donation of members, memberships, fees to sell in the classifieds and sponsorship increases.

Have a great day
Steve

That's possible but it does add the monthly cost of keeping such an archive up & running. No idea what that would be.

My friends site has long used a "supporting member" option to help fund things. For a few bucks a month you get unlimited private messages, the ability to customize your title and don't have to see any banners or other ads.

It's been a while, I need to look into it again & just see what we'd be looking at now. We've been trying to get moved off of this for years now.

We went though this with the old minnesotawaterfowler web page.

They sold it and went to a new site. MNFOWL. Cleaned everything full and condensed the forums and reduced stickys.

Gave a date and time that the new site was going live and over the course of a week or so anyone that cared enough was registered on the new site.

Old site was still there last I looked but loaded with spam.

Originally Posted By: orkanOriginally Posted By: BangFlop
All I am saying is that something needs to be done before PM is a distant memory.

SA1DrH3h.jpg

No one cares. ... not just about this site or the people on it, but anything. People literally do not care about anything.

That's why this site and others will continue to dwindle. No one stands for anything... no one cares about anything. Everything is taken for granted and nothing is worth conflict. No one wants to put in the time, but everyone wants to talk. Loud mouths that are mediocre at everything and extremely good at nothing, are the ones with all the posts. People trying desperately to make others believe they are something they are not. By day they clean toilets... but by night they are masters of all things firearm. Not to worry though... they "go to the range" and their wife karen lets them setup a 6 sq. ft. reloading bench in the back of her walk in closet... so they can keep their skills up.

... and it's a big shocker to someone that people don't want to participate in that environment?

Hard core, but true!

Originally Posted By: Stu FarishI haven't seen anything else yet that comes close.

... then you might want to expand your horizons a bit. There's certainly several good platforms out there... but zenforo isn't the only one for certain.

I run www.gunhive.com. The forum aspect is run on nodeBB. Probably the singular most advanced forum in existence right now.

Did a quick look for you and found this:
https://github.com/akhoury/nodebb-plugin-ubbmigrator

If people you're dealing with claim forum administration and migration is cost prohibitive, then you probably want to hang around more accomplished people. Even so... I suspect that new software will help make the place look pretty... but that's about all it will accomplish. There are entrenched personalities here that simply are not functional in a community that wants to see participation be advanced. Those people are simply too taxing for others to deal with... and they post everywhere, constantly. Skinney clearly wants to hand over money. I would too. ... but not when the worst kinds of behavior are being tolerated, and certainly not if sponsors are dictating who can say what.

If those sponsors are so important... then cost shouldn't be an issue. They should easily and happily hand over money required to upgrade this place. However I suspect it has more to do with cronyism than money. I remember I posted a link to one of my articles... not a product... an article... and a mod deleted it because it was "advertising." lol

Originally Posted By: orkanI remember I posted a link to one of my articles... not a product... an article... and a mod deleted it because it was "advertising." lol

dont care who you are, that does deserve an lol.

ridiculous is what it is.

then on the other hand, there is a half dozen (or so) guys that post stuff for sale in the classifieds and NEVER post anything anywhere else. the rules say that is a no, no. its been brought to the attention of a few mods and admin and nothing has ever been done or said about it. in fact there was never even a response from one of the higher up admin. you know who you are.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: orkanI remember I posted a link to one of my articles... not a product... an article... and a mod deleted it because it was "advertising." lol

dont care who you are, that does deserve an lol.

ridiculous is what it is.

Heck, I once had a mod private message me and tell me I couldn't post my pictures if I was going to put my watermark on them. Same reason. I didn't post any pics for quite awhile after that. Heck, I didn't post ANYTHING for quite awhile after that - a year maybe? Then I just started posting, with pics, with my watermark, again, and nobody said anything, so...

But yeah, ridiculous is right. This place has shot itself in the crank with that kind of stuff so many times over the years. And the list of banned members, is like reading the Hall of Fame of predator hunters who ever posted on the internet. . Most of the best posters this place has ever had, didn't leave by choice, they were banned. For political, cronyism and money reasons.

Agree that just putting a new face on the place won't be enough. The atmosphere here is toxic. Lots of old, bad blood. Most newer members don't even know what I'm talking about. But all the old ones do.

Again, my thought, the format itself is out dated. But the whole concept of participation, and community, and contributing quality content, even though the bad blood here is old, it leaves enough of a stink I don't think it can ever be over come and PM get back to the kind of free exchange of quality thought it once was. None of those old members that used to pump so much quality content into this place, the ones that got banned for their efforts, are ever coming back.

Put it this way. A facelift won't even move my meter, as far as being willing to contribute quality content. I'm DONE with that. And I'm far from alone. But it would spike activity with the newer crowd. Which, if the place just wants to survive and even make a few bucks, is enough.

- DAA

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DAAMost newer members don't even know what I'm talking about. But all the old ones do.

Put it this way. A facelift won't even move my meter, as far as being willing to contribute quality content. I'm DONE with that. And I'm far from alone.

Boy oh BOY did you hit that nail squarely. The people making choices to censor our content in the way they do... don't have the slightest concept of how this all works. I stopped posting for roughly a year, darn near two... for the exact same reason you did. Every so often someone will post a comment on an old thread or PM me or something and I'd get an email notification... that was basically the only reason I'd come back here.

Tried posting a bit lately... and its the same old garbage. Ignorant loud mouths trying to be something they are not, arguing over things they don't have a clue about. Slapping each other on the back for shooting tiny bucks. lol It's comical how mediocrity and the purchasing of cheap trash is celebrated here.

I can understand the need for a forum update, but I'm a bit surprised to see Stu say its hard to post a picture here. For years I used Photo Bucket as a hosting site until they decided to ransom everyone's pictures, and then I moved my photos to Imgur.

The procedure at both sites was the same. All I need to do to post a picture is go to Imgur, select a photo and copy its URL/location per their format. Then I come here, open a reply box and right click on the open box and past the copied photo location. Presto a picture appears. It takes less than 3-4 minutes including sign on time at both locations, maybe 5 minutes max if you upload a new picture to the web hosting site from your computer

y6FB7Oal.jpg

I do understand that some newer forum software programs allows copying a photo location from your computer without using a hosting site, but I've never seen posting a picture here as being a problem.

Originally Posted By: BOBTAILSMan o man PM has changed in my time...... so sad. I remember how it used to be.

Yep,
sure was fun, wasn’t it??

when people say difficult, they mean that it lacks the ease of better site software.

yea, you can use IMG tags. You can easily copy & paste the link from photobucket, flickr and other host sites.

but you can't simply copy & paste an image from somewhere else. you can't do a simple upload or attach image from your desktop, phone or tablet. there is no drag & drop for it.

it's generally not a big deal on a desktop PC, though it could be a lot easier, but on a phone it's just too much work

Back