What happened to Predator Masters???

AWS- I think your last paragraph sums a lot of it up. Also this might offend some people, because I'm sure we have some on here. But it seems like a lot of the new guys that are getting into predator calling don't care about learning about the animals they are calling in, or learning about what makes you a better caller. They just want to pull a trigger and see something die.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SubpaR The only one that i don't see slowing down is ar15.com, because you never know if your hand-guard is going to be out of style/season.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I don’t disagree with any of the posts other the ones about this site being slow. I disagree, when 200+ people are viewing the firearms page and only 3 posts have been replied to per day, that is not slow....that is hesitation for whatever reasons and that is the problem.

Originally Posted By: arlaunchOriginally Posted By: SubpaR The only one that i don't see slowing down is ar15.com, because you never know if your hand-guard is going to be out of style/season.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

#truestory

but lets be honest... like i said in the other thread... barf.com has been as much based on a fanboy (and hater!) user base as it was a knowledge base forum. kind of like redit or 4chan... you'll never pry a userbase that rabid away from their platform no matter what.

Originally Posted By: BangFlopI don’t disagree with any of the posts other the ones about this site being slow. I disagree, when 200+ people are viewing the firearms page and only 3 posts have been replied to per day, that is not slow....that is hesitation for whatever reasons and that is the problem.

DING DING DING ^^^^^^
Self-proclaimed experts berating a sage that has been there and done that often kills a thread and makes some folks with sage advice say ‘why bother’.

I have spoken to a couple others about this very subject a few times.
Going away with similar but different answers.
Having been here a long while shows I have been comfortable.
During that time I have seen many come and go, mostly the ones that are gone seemed to enjoy kicking other folks around to make themselves feel superior. I am not speaking of those that have passed on.
The majority are here to enjoy, share and are willing to help.
Not sure about other drawing cards or interests.

Just a thought...it IS hunting season!!! I always notice a dropoff during fall.....too much goin on in many peoples lives id guess.....in winter most have a few hrs of daylite then all nite to puruse the net by the fire. Personally, ive been berating myself for spending soooo much time on the net and not hunting more!! lol....i also think there are many distractions in life today and this is but one to use the seconds of your life up on.

I have noticed all of the forums that I check out are all slowing down. I think Facebook and Instagram is part of the reason the forums are not as busy as they were.

Many of the people that are now looking around in the forums just don't reply to anything.

On one forum I posted a video of a coyote getting shot next to my Foxpro on 11/24/2013. That post has had 1248 views and 2 replies. One of those replies was me telling the guy that replied, thank you. LOL

I agree. Not much going on in the way of responses/interaction. Kinda sad. I wrote up a review on some lead free ammo with real world feedback and it got like 1 reply. I don't need comments to justify my existence but I have also noticed that people don't reply after you have answered a question they asked. Weak.

Pretty predictable result of people that know very little, talking very very much. Pretty soon, people get tired of the facade while trying to sift through 40,000 posts of inexperienced garbage to find one post where some actual experience is conveyed.

If we're all so stupid and post nothing but inexperienced garbage, why do you waste your precious time and your vast knowledge on us stupid people? Isn't there a forum just for all you smart people?

I think another thing that’s driving members away is the commercialization of this and other sites. You ask a question and the only responses are from pro staff members of sponsors with something to sell; and don’t dare speak the truth about a bannered sponsor, your post will just be removed like a Confederate statue. What good is biased/censored advice. When we can’t get unbiased information from users with actual experience, why bother?

I think you guys are all right, to an extent. I don't think the problem applies only to PM though. I see participation in most "traditional" forums declining. Sign of the times perhaps?

First, social media. It's no secret that quick and easy social media is available to most everyone. Though I don't participate in much social media beyond a few internet forums like this one, I think those outlets negatively impact input here. Few want to type up a long post, or reply, in the era of 140-word tweets, facebook posts, memes, whatever. We're busy, lazy, unmotivated, and so on, but as pointed out, modern instant-feedback/gratification social media has had a dramatic impact on internet forums that move at a slower pace. It's not as easy to get 15 minutes of fame on PM as it is on facebook.

Opportunity. Face it, we are busy. I know that my participation in this and other forums has declined over the past years. Not because I don't want to be here, but because life, for lack of a better term, gets in the way. Kids grow, get busy, and suck up all kinds of time and money. I want to raise great children more than I want to post on the internet, so I read and post less as they age. I know that most other folks in my age group are likewise engaged, running around like chickens with their heads cut off.

Negative responses. I think negative responses from fellow members also factors into things, as pointed out. In the faceless world of the internet, it's easy to take a shot at someone in a less-than-constructive manner. In personal conversation, we rely on much more than words to communicate effectively. We don't have that on the forum. Yes, some posters reply just to get others' hackles up. That's life, there are a-holes everywhere. But I think often a response can be misconstrued because we can't/don't pick up on the nonverbal cues we would have in a real conversation. Something I think is funny may be offensive to someone else, but without that ability to see his face, his personal reaction, there is no opportunity to learn of his reaction. So, he writes me off as one of those a-holes and we potentially lost the opportunity for future communication.

Experts? Yes, we have them. Yes, some have left. Experts aren't the problem, I for one rely on their input to help me overcome predator hunting adversity. I relish their story-telling, their feedback on issues/problems, and in many cases their willingness to share with those lower down the experience ladder. But there's a fine line between an expert and a perceived know-it-all. Like many, I don't (usually) need to be told I'm an idiot. I know I have a knowledge gap or I wouldn't be asking a question. A snide response to the uninformed is not productive. We get some of that here, some in this very thread. But honestly, the responses here are usually pretty tame compared to what I've seen on other forums. One thing I've learned about the internet over my many years there is that you've got to develop a thick cyber-skin or you'll find yourself offended often. That said, there's certainly room for tact in our conversations here. Unfortunately, some with vast knowledge don't have the patience to frequently share that knowledge with the rest of us, instead assuming that we're idiots and just can't learn. Their communication is abrupt, abrasive, condescending, and perceived as personal attacks. I don't think that is usually the case, just a type of communication that we novices don't relate well to. We should strive harder to understand experts' frustration at our ignorance in the same manner I'd like the experts, at least those who care to share their expertise, to strive to see our questions as the thirst for knowledge it is. I won't delve into the world of trolls here, because we can recognize them for what they are and simply not respond. Overall, most of us asking questions just want information. Berating someone for ignorance is counterproductive to our mission of growing the knowledge base and recruiting additional hunters. Recognizing the line between ignorance and stupidity is the challenge.
smile.gif

Saturation. Good point. When PM first started, there weren't many other opportunities to gain knowledge that you could immediately apply to your predator hunting. Our sport was just entering the mainstream, and many of us were just getting started. Now there are dozens, if not hundreds of similar outlets. Hunting forums abound, as do hunting shows on TV, some specific to predator hunting. With minimal effort, we can find all kinds of information on this sport. It's no longer one-stop shopping. This forum is competing with a variety of other information sources, resulting in lower participation here as existing and potential members identify outlets consistent with their approach, their personality, or their geographical location. We humans, as social animals, tend to gravitate towards others with similar leanings. There's something out there on the 'net for everyone. That means multiple opportunities for predator hunters to "meet" and engage with others of their ilk.

Participation. This is where I agree that we have a deficiency. There are many knowledgeable hunters on PM, but for reasons explored in this thread, few of us post routinely. Maybe we have answered all the questions, though I doubt it. Maybe the search feature does limit discussion, though I think relying on it is not nearly as interesting or informative as current, live debate. Maybe we're all snowflakes and don't want to get our feelings hurt by a more aggressive poster who disagrees with us. Or maybe we just don't want to put up with condescending BS every time a good conversation gets going. I don't know, but I'd sure like to see it increase.

Moderation. I've been a PM member for a long time, and was only invited to help moderate a few years ago. I have observed forum moderation here and elsewhere. To be honest, I'm not sure what the perfect moderator is. Does he let debate rage even through personal attacks and vile outbursts? Or does he rigidly curtail any speech not in strict accordance with the forum's rules? I like to think a good moderator is somewhere in the middle. There is knowledge to be gained through debate and conversation, so I'm often inclined to let things run their course. I'm a bit sarcastic by nature, so I often don't get offended by dry humor and witty responses, even though they may not be in strict compliance with our terms of service. Overall, I think PM is comfortably in the middle. Yes, we have invited members to leave for violation of the TOS, but I don't believe we have been as arbitrary about suspension of posting privileges as other sites. Likewise, we are surely not as lenient as other forums I visit, where personal attacks and foul language are the order of the day. My 16-year old daughter is a registered member of this forum. I want her to be able to visit this site and learn about predator hunting without exposure to adult themes. Maybe I'm naive, since we all know that most kids are exposed to all kinds of crap at school, but I think we can do better here. So I guess that's my threshold - would I let my daughter read a post? If so, I'm inclined to live and let live. If not, I'm going to say or do something. Some aren't going to like that.

Is Predator Masters perfect? Nope. But it's pretty darn good, even when you consider all the competing sources for information and entertainment. Can we improve? Sure. And you know what? The best opportunities for improvement come from our diverse membership. Do you have an idea for bettering this place? Send it to one of the directors, like SnowmanMo. Mo is a true advocate of our sport and heartily embraces any chance to improve access to it and success in it. Send us your thoughts, we want your help with continual improvement.

Originally Posted By: DesertRam
Negative responses. I think negative responses from fellow members also factors into things, as pointed out. In the faceless world of the internet, it's easy to take a shot at someone in a less-than-constructive manner. In personal conversation, we rely on much more than words to communicate effectively. We don't have that on the forum. Yes, some posters reply just to get others' hackles up. That's life, there are a-holes everywhere. But I think often a response can be misconstrued because we can't/don't pick up on the nonverbal cues we would have in a real conversation. Something I think is funny may be offensive to someone else, but without that ability to see his face, his personal reaction, there is no opportunity to learn of his reaction. So, he writes me off as one of those a-holes and we potentially lost the opportunity for future communication.

tbh - this is the only part of your post that i disagree with.

this - and most of the other forums i participate in - have moderator staffs that are usually on top of this kinda thing. the negative nellies might let a jab or two get in there... but as soon as things approach the gutter its *USUALLY* handled pretty [beeep] quickly.

especailly so on the larger fb groups - i dont typically see the same thing.

or at least because of the more instant nature of things , threads get out of hand WAY beyond what they would on a bit slower format like the forum here and often only end up getting locked well after the thing had degraded into complete mayhem.

just like here, the mods have a real life, but again because of teh more instant feedback loop - apps that notify you instantly about nearly every [beeep] thing you're involved in - they can spiral much quicker. I've seen threads go from cordial to complete [beeep]-show pile on in a matter of 20 or 30 mins.

now i've yet to see one that didnt get handled, but how soon or i guess before it gets beyond acceptable anyway, is relative based on that posting content speed that a large group of >20,000 members can do.

and while that may have some degree of slowing new content posting down, because many those threads get pulled and not just locked, it doesnt seem to affect post count much.

thankfully - good mod staffs there (like here!) help weed those idiots out fairly quickly, but there's still a LOT of sh!t talking that happens in many of them. and in the groups that im in where they tend to handle these kind of things well - not only do the mods kill it, but will often post a 'boy what a mess earlier, but dont worry we handled it, the offender has been handled' kind of thread to let folks see that they are on top of it as they can be.

so except for the real thin skinned folks, it doesnt seem to effect the overall activity level TOO much, especially in the groups whos owners/mods do their best to manage it.

my $0.02 usd

The majority of the entire population acts... pretty much the same as my experiences in high school.

Same here, then you get these hard core liberals that join and follow sites like this so they feel like they have some kind of inside scoop.

Someone with too much time on their hands wants to stir the pot and one stupid post that an adult should know to ignore gets the most hits on the site from kids that want to bash someone back for having a different opinion.

This site has taught me there's nothing more noble about conservatives, theyre mostly just moody hypocritical kids that will follow anything that supports their views, true or false, just like the kids they're trying to bash.

It's a symptom of the times, loud morons galore.

I still enjoy Predator Masters, I don’t ask as many questions now, and I am not on the site every night. Because I have learned a lot from many of you. As people gain experience they slow down on research except looking for new stuff. My question would be if you are concerned about PM what is it “you” feel would make it better for everyone? What would you like to read?

I also believe PM needs a face lift so to speak. I am on another forum that allows you to like a post (kind of like facebook). This allows me to let that poster know that I agree or like what they had to say without taking the time to type it (which rarely happens today). This allows participation without it being time consuming if you want. Basically PM has looked the same way forever.

Lets get it refreshed. Lets clean up the posts, endless sticky's from 10 years ago, etc.

Evolve!

A refresh couldn't hurt.

So, the problem you want to solve, is lack of participation. I agree with most of what has already been said. But the core problem, getting people to participate, like I said, a refresh would probably help. But I don't know if it would be enough.

Why, exactly, do former contributors not contribute much anymore? Why do new people choose not to post much?

There are probably almost as many reasons as there are people not posting.

But I suspect a commonality among them, is the general sense, that it's just not worth the effort. People on this forum and others, years ago, put a lot of effort into participation. Apparently, it was worth it, at the time. But apparently, not so much, anymore.

I don't exist on other forms of social media. I have never - not even once - looked at a facebook page, or read a tweet, or looked at any of the 'grams, etc. Just not my speed.

So I don't know what it's like there.

But maybe, the calculus for most people, is that the effort of participating is better spent on those other platforms?

Why would that be? I don't know.

Do people take the time and effort to write intelligent, detailed, helpful replies on those other platforms? From what I hear, I kinda doubt it. But if I'm wrong, maybe I should actually be looking at them
laugh.gif

Anyway... Maybe little things like "likes" and such would help. They are a form of acknowledgement and appreciation, which people like to get for their efforts.

But the few other forums I'm on that are thriving, have something this place has never really had. A sense of camaraderie and a lot of mutual respect. Nothing unique to this board, but I think it was Chris LeDoux that said "Some folks don't realize that it's a well know fact
predator hunters ain't never got along".

Then again, I've always thought getting along was over rated.

- DAA

Back