took out the lamb killer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rich,

I love it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I'm sure Cal and fish could deal with the problems I left behind. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Bottom line though is that I get out so seldom compared to some guys is that if I screw up the easy pickins for the "Pros" then I guess we'll see how good they are. I'll be damned if I'd hold back from my recreational calling unless the landowner asked me to so the "Pros" could be more successful.

Hi Dave. The coyotes are fitted with collars that contain both GPS and VHF transceivers. We did not shoot any coyotes with anything other than a camera.
You make a valid point about placing shooters downwind of the caller. This the technique my partners and I use on contest hunts.
The INL coyotes have never been called before. They would be located with a a vhs antennae and we would approach and set up at a close distance yet far enough away that they would not see or hear our approach. I would make certain that downwind was an open meadow for as far as possible. The coyotes moved as far they needed to to gain downwind without exposing themselves. One Alpha male ran at high speed about 3/4 mile where he then remained motionless until the stand was completed and we left. One stand was set up 200 yards downwind from an active den/rendevous site. At the first puppy distress the alpha female ran at high speed for about 2 1/2 miles stopping once at about 3/4 mile crosswind to our position for several minutes before completeing the huge circle around our stand. Exactly where in those long distances do you suggest we place a shooter or camera man considering that visibilty is a matter of feet at stand level in the high sagebrush that they traveled in. I have called in 22 states , several eastern states in very thick cover. I really do know how to set up a stand to cover approach routes in comfort zones. These pressured coyotes had no apparent comfort zones.
This is not unusual behavior for coyotes whose security levels are very low for one reason or another.
As to the trappers, Dr Jaeger has complete confidence in their abilities. They have worked for WS for many years. As I said in the previous post, they have tried all sets, lure combos.

oh man nasa got rained outand didn't make it. i was really looking forward to it.
fish in the morn i'll go take a picture for you if you want
do you comprehend what you read i killed it in the draws to the west of the omni tower just on top the hill from the last cattle guard go to the second point looking out over the draw there is a little man made drainige ditch to follow about 18" deep walk to the first bench below that ditch the male is laying right there.
the male at the 7 buttes was taken in march. the female was taken on the second butte from the new road that comes into the bowl from the west the one that dead ends in the middle of the bowl.
why in a world of coyotes would you dought me in the first place.
how many girls do you know who keep bum lambs inside the camper with them. what happened to the deer horn at her door i'll tell you its in my gardan.

Quote:
You Wyoming guys have got to get a spell checker! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

A little punctuation wouldn't hurt either. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

It sure makes it hard to read an eleven to 15 line post without a single period or any other kind of punctuation.

I said I was out, but I fell for the trap comment. Once again there is simply no grasp of the situation in and around the sheep. Here there is generally a herder with three or four border collies, and then you have three to five guard dogs with the sheep, and you guys are going to trap coyotes there? Good Luck! On top of that, sheep are easy to catch, and they will investigate a set, and anything that will hold a coyote, will hold a sheep. So you better be checking your traps about three times a day or you will melt something on these 90 degree days. And I'm in Wyoming, and don't use a spell checker.

Quote:
Quote:
You Wyoming guys have got to get a spell checker! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

A little punctuation wouldn't hurt either. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Wee or soo perfit the rest of us I guusse.THanks Clint.

I was kinda thinking the same thing Buker, Maybe the should get some gaurd wolves and then they wouldn't have to worry about the coyotes... or the sheep /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Do you have any extra wolves in WI that you could spare??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wow, never start reading a post that has 6 pages.

I learned a lot, I think.

Looks to me like we need hunting season to get here so we can get back after them instead of wallowing in the comfort of a/c and iced tea. Trying to figure out what was so important about this post that it got 6 pages.

BOREDOM.

Putting on my flame suit and going to mow the yard so it don't burn too.

Clayman

don't have any here YET but they are not far away.
usfws has thair way we will be dealing with them soon.
hay that made 200 posts most on this one thread i think
glad to see posts this active it makes it fun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Holy Crap, never wait till a post gets to 5 pages to start reading it, takes forever.

AMEN!

I was out chasing PD's with NASA yesterday and he asked me if I had been following this thread. I hadn't, so I said I would. Holy cow! I didn't know I was going to need several hours to get through it.

BTW, we didn't see any PD's, but breakfast was great.

Guard dogs, ADC killing, herders, etc. are effective at reducing loss. As long as there are coyotes and livestock in the same areas it is pretty unlikely that there will be a complete stop to the depredation.

I'm still looking for some responses from the "trapping experts" as to how they are going to trap these coyotes without catching some guard dogs, herding dogs, and sheep. While they are at it, they should set a bunch or snares too. The antelope fawns and lambs are just the right size now.

And I'm one of the Wyoming guys, so just what is wrong with my spelling and punctuation?

Cal, You and Rich Higgins, seem to be a little better than average. You must have went to school in Arkansas.
Have a little fun today
Billy

WENT TO SCHOOL IN ARKANSAS /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Yall can spell down there now thats funny, Just kidding Billy, come to WI we can usualy only spell Beer and Cheese /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

"I'm still looking for some responses from the "trapping experts" as to how they are going to trap these coyotes without catching some guard dogs, herding dogs, and sheep. While they are at it, they should set a bunch or snares too. The antelope fawns and lambs are just the right size now"

Well Cal, I didn't see a post from the "trapping experts" at all in this thread. I saw someone ask a question about it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

In answer to your question about snares, maybe you tell us why ADC guys don't shoot the odd farm dog. They may go rogue someday and start killing sheep!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

"trapping Experts" don't indescriminately set traps or snares, no more than ADC guys shoot anything that moves in order to solve a predation problem.

I don't know what you define as an expert in anything, but I have considerable experience with sheep, guard dogs and killing animals that prey on livestock. I've done nuisance trapping for many years for F/W.

In cases where I'm trapping for fur, I do get incidental by catches of non target animals, but they are few and far between. In cases of nuisance or predation trapping, over several years the incidence of catching non target animals is so small as to be a non issue.

Having a bunch of dogs or ADC men or trappers or amateurs attacking a predation problem, in itself does not necessarily solve the problem. At some point in that scenario, someone has to know what to do and also has to have some luck. Saying I'm a Pro anything doesn't mean diddly. If the ADC guy had done his job in this case, why is an amateur asked to kill a coyote that is
"known " to the shepherd?
I get calls every year from ranchers that have had ADC guys out and still have a problem. I kill some coyotes, without the benefit of CSI and the problem stops. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif I kill everyone I can, until the rancher tells me his losses ahve stopped. I then kill as many as I can through the fall and winter. The problem is usually gone in the spring. There are still coyotes around, but the rancher does not have the losses. If he sees a dead ccalf/lamb and a coyote feeding on it or in the vicinity, I will spend the time to kill that coyote. I won't spend my time on a long trial trying to convince a jury that this coyote is guilty of murder. I won't waste my time giving the rancher a course on coyote population dynamics. I will simple kill the coyoyte that happens to be visiting the calving/lambing pen.
We have no shortage of ranches or coyotes here. If they call me and I do what I do best, then everyone wins, except the coyote of course. And actually if the truth were known the coyote individual loses, but the coyote as a species does win. We avoid the use of poison, and aerial gunning etc.

You guys need to chill and not be so defensive. There are a lot of guys here that are wanting to learn, but wouldn't give you "Pros" the time of day because of the way you deliver your message here.

I think it stinks, for lack of a better word that some members are reluctant to ask questions here because they will be responded to in the way some of these posts have shown.

So unless you ADC guys have a secret organization and handshake and all that stuff,it would be great if you helped educate some of these newbies.
I've been hunting longer than you've been alive. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
I'll bet I could learn a heck of a lot from you.
So how much knowledge do you think you have that would benefit the guys that are just starting, or have only been out 10 times a year for the last ten years. You and I go out more than that in two weeks.

Share the knowledge guys that's why we are here. We are not here to beat on each other.

i went out and took a picture of the dead coyote should i send it to him in a privete message? maybe then he will see he isn't right about me.
it would defenatly not be suitable for here.

Quote:
Guard dogs, ADC killing, herders, etc. are effective at reducing loss. As long as there are coyotes and livestock in the same areas it is pretty unlikely that there will be a complete stop to the depredation.

I'm still looking for some responses from the "trapping experts" as to how they are going to trap these coyotes without catching some guard dogs, herding dogs, and sheep. While they are at it, they should set a bunch or snares too. The antelope fawns and lambs are just the right size now.

And I'm one of the Wyoming guys, so just what is wrong with my spelling and punctuation?

Cal I have a legit ? for you why can't they use live traps thats what we do in Co as legholds are outlawed ?

Wicoyote,
I'll have you know, I went to school in Louisiana. Now what does that tell you. I did have to upgrade when I moved to Arkansas.
Have a little fun today
Billy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back