Sunday hunting in Virginia

Flyrod1,

you are wrong and i am from what it appears, to the only one on this forum with stones to say so.

man, this is supposed to be a forum of exchanging ideas and opinions. you are making juvenile, personal comments directed towards me because we do not share common beliefs. you are wrong again.

a narrow-minded extremist. wow, there is a new term from the media whorde. never thought i would see it describe a fellow hunter. but i guess that is where the divide has taken us.

so you say the special interest groups defeated this bill. sometimes you win and some times you lose. i have seen it happen to bill i wanted passed too. are gonna sling mud on everyone who opposes your views and sulk or are you gonna keep trying?

your idea that we will not be able to hunt in the future is a little far fetched, because of some smaller churches beliefs, don't you think?

my church is a rural church. you are just as likely to see bib overalls in the pews as you are suits. and only one man has said he wanted to hunt on Sunday. becareful of polls. they are rarely accurate.

God Bless,

Creek Chub

Creek Chub;

A special interest group did defeat those two bills, just like every other one introduced in recent years.

That group is headed by Jerry Falwell. And, his reasons are clear: $$$$.

As to the rest of the in-fighting between you and flyrod1, well, y'all have at it. I have no desire for it; only want to get the blue-law ban on Sunday hunting removed.

nimrod,

agreed. i am done with this thread. this one topic were we will not unite. everyone has their convictions, and a man who doesn't stand up for them is not a man.

see you at the ballot box.

God Bless,

Creek Chub

Actually, I was hoping that you'd stick around, but if you're going to rely on forcing your religious convictions upon those who don't agree with them, then go in peace.

You won't see me at the ballot box; as this issue will either be settled in the general assembly or in court.

I'd like to see the former, but I suspect the latter.

That, in the end, is the shame of it; as it seems that no one wants to actually take a look at the legal issues of this ban unless forced to do so in court.

First response back:

R. Lee Ware, Jr. (Chairman of the subcommittee) elucidated this response:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I oppose Sunday hunting, for numerous reasons, as do my constitutients by
an overwhelming majority. Thank you for writing.

Cordially, Lee Ware

R. Lee Ware
Member, Virginia House of Delegates (65th District)
P.O. Box 689
Powhatan, VA 23139

David A. Bovenizer, Consigliere

DISTRICT OFFICE:
P.O. Box 689
Powhatan,.Virginia 23139
Telephone: (804) 598-6696
Email: dellware@house.state.va.us

DURING SESSION:
Room 409 General Assembly Building, Richmond, Virginia 23218
Telephone: (804) 698-1065
Secretary: Barbara Monroe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My reply was thus:

Quote:

I am curious as to your reasons. Would you mind stating them, as "for numerous reasons" is a bit vague.

If your constituents are opposed to Sunday hunting, then I am sure that they have stated specific reasons. Would you mind sharing those?

Thank you,

Given his great specificity, I sincerely doubt that I will receive an answer for clarification.

There's one of the sell-out Republicans, and the chairman to boot.

nimrod,

as much as i would like to respond to you, i have to keep true to my previous post.

debate is healthy but this one will not be settled here. it has been said that religion, women and money started more conflicts than any source.

i will monitor this thread but that is all. for what it worth, best of luck even though we disagree.

God Bless,

Creek Chub

Del. Ware's reasons, as stated in an e-mail just minutes ago:

Quote:

Reason:

1. tradition
2. hunting is fine on 6 days; Sundays are given to family, hiking,
picnicking, horse-back riding, quiet, reading, walking, canoeing, church,
etc.

Cordially, Lee Ware

R. Lee Ware
Member, Virginia House of Delegates (65th District)
P.O. Box 689
Powhatan, VA 23139

David A. Bovenizer, Consigliere

DISTRICT OFFICE:
P.O. Box 689
Powhatan,.Virginia 23139
Telephone: (804) 598-6696

DURING SESSION:
Room 409 General Assembly Building, Richmond, Virginia 23218
Telephone: (804) 698-1065
Secretary: Barbara Monroe

Quote:
Flyrod1,

you are wrong and i am from what it appears, to the only one on this forum with stones to say so.

man, this is supposed to be a forum of exchanging ideas and opinions. you are making juvenile, personal comments directed towards me because we do not share common beliefs. you are wrong again.

a narrow-minded extremist. wow, there is a new term from the media whorde. never thought i would see it describe a fellow hunter. but i guess that is where the divide has taken us.

so you say the special interest groups defeated this bill. sometimes you win and some times you lose. i have seen it happen to bill i wanted passed too. are gonna sling mud on everyone who opposes your views and sulk or are you gonna keep trying?

your idea that we will not be able to hunt in the future is a little far fetched, because of some smaller churches beliefs, don't you think?

my church is a rural church. you are just as likely to see bib overalls in the pews as you are suits. and only one man has said he wanted to hunt on Sunday. becareful of polls. they are rarely accurate.

God Bless,

Creek Chub

Creek Chub,
First let me preface my response by saying that I have never previously been engaged in a whizzing contest on any internet forum, never. I don't intend to continue this one, but I will respond to your last post to me.
Twice you say that I'm wrong, about what?....or wrong in general, without any argument or facts to support your assertion.
You stated that I made personal, juvenile comments towards you. As far as personal, I stated that I thought you were self-rightous, sanctimonious, and narrow minded, meaning in your views, as evidenced in your posts, whether that fits you personally, I really don't know, you seem a little thin skinned here. You seem to have done a lot of interpolating from what I have said. I suggest you re-read my post in a literal fashon,and re-read yours. I'd hope you'd find my statements direct to the issues. In any event, I offer you an apology if you took my statements for more than they were meant. As for juvenile, hardly, I've twenty years on you, brother, but I'm nowhere near my second childhood, yet.
You implied that I either thought, or called you a narrow minded extremist. Nowhere in my post is the word extremist, your interpolation, not my word. As for the "divide" you alluded to between fellow hunters, you betcha, when one group tries to deny, what appears to be the current majority of hunters, those rights that should be inherent in the ownership of private property!
The "special interest" thing has been covered, but believe me, I don't sulk! I may become calmly enraged, as I often do about ineptitude, carelessness, stupidity, incompetence, negligence and a slew of other inconsiderations, but then it just furthers my resolve to fix the problem. None of the things mentioned in the last sentence were in any way directed at you, just used as examples.
Your next paragraph, addressing a far fetched notion that we won't be able to hunt in the future because of some small church's beliefs, baffles me. You're interpolating something again that has no bearing on what I wrote. My statement had to do with: if a statewide referendum were held to allow, or not allow hunting in general, that we would lose. I doubt that that referendum would happen in the near future, but if you left it to the devices of HSUS, PETA, and the rest of the anti-hunting groups, a special ballot initiative would be held next week! You should re-read my post.
I'm sure your rural church has all good intentions, a fine congregation, and I sincerely hope it and all who frequent it are blessed, and that the majority does not look downward on the one soul that would have Sunday hunting.
You said be careful of polls, in the past I'd agree with you. After what we saw happen in the November elections, I'd say the polls, at least here in VA, have come a long way, much to my dismay of some of the outcomes. Through many of the organizations, clubs, and shooting sports and their associations that I'm involved, or have been involved with, I come in contact with a lot of people. Within those contacts, which have numbered in the hundreds over a short period of time, I've done a little informal polling. The overwhelming majority of the folks I've spoken to, when informed on the issue, would support hunting on Sunday in the commonwealth of Virginia, on private property.
As far as any personal feud between us, as far as I'm concerned, there is none. I disagree with you on your stand agianst Sunday hunting, and the religiosity of your arguments against it, but I will not condemn your beliefs.
I wish you well....
F1

"Reason:

1. tradition
2. hunting is fine on 6 days; Sundays are given to family, hiking,
picnicking, horse-back riding, quiet, reading, walking, canoeing, church,
etc.

Cordially, Lee Ware"

S,
And all that on private property, no less!
Pretty safe answer, with the exception maybe of "church", which I'm sure might be deleted if pressed.
Hunting is a tradition, especially in some families. I almost always hike into many of my hunting spots, but I have hunted from horseback. I've also hunted from, and by way of a canoe. Still hunting requires walking, between stops to watch and listen, all he while I try to be as quiet as possible! There are many days when the ducks weren't moving, that I've found myself reading something in a duck blind. Never seen a church in a duck marsh, or on any of our hunting properties, but if there were, I might stop in ant sit a spell.
So what's the problem? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif
I know this retort was glib, but so were Ware's reasons...all provided via donation, my guess.
F1

If you step back and take a look this is prime reason why the other side is winning and we as hunters are not . Hunters are Hunters it is a primal instinct that we are born with subtrac libral and democrats their wiring is off , or atleast short circuited .But for hunters to aruge is not the answer this is how we get divied and our hopes and dreams of changed get pushed to the way side dew to our own self division . This is not what we need to dew . Religous belifs or not that should not stand in the way .

A question needs to be asked . What did our fore fathers do on Sunday ? What did Noah , Peter , Paul , and the rest of the folks of the past do ? Did the say hey im hungy lets eat , oh but today is sunday sorry not going to hunt today . Now i know it you dont need to hunt on Sunday for food , just as long as Bojangles is open , got to love that chicken . But it should be a right to . If everything is a personal choice why cant this be ?

If someone is against hunting on Sunday then i hope they would honor all of sunday . No taking the kids fishing , no going out to eat after church , because Sunday is a day of rest not for hunting or work . If you go out to eat someone has to work for you to get your food , dont they . No golf ,or watching of Nascar , or anything other than rest . If you thing about it and you partake in anyother acts, are you realy resting or are you just talking about the idea of it .

These are questions that make you say HMMMMMMMMMMM .

Oh ya this would make a good Sunday afternoon show ..LOL

Puppypopper,
Read the scriptures. Foods were gathered in anticipation of the Sabbath so they didn't go hunting.
Prime example is when Moses was leading his people to the promised land. When God provided them with manna they were instructed to gather enough to last until the Sabbath had passed.
My personal feelings are that I do not like the idea of hunting on Sunday. Not for religious reasons but to give the animals a day to feed and rest without being pushed.
I also personally feel that if Sunday hunting becomes legal the harvest will increase by a sharp amount which in turn could lead to shorter seasons, less liberal bag limits, etc to offset the additional animals taken.
Now I realize many are probably thinking "this dude is crazy one more day of hunting won't make a difference" but please give me a moment to elaborate.
As an example lets just say it was Thursday that hunting wasn't allowed. If the law changed to allow hunting on that particular day the majority of hunters would still have to work which would minimize the impact on total harvest numbers. Now consider we are discussing a weekend day when MANY more hunters are not working. The number of hunters afield that one day could easily harvest more animals than any two weekdays combined simply due to the sheer numbers of hunters being able to journey afield.
I have no proof of this but in my mind it makes sense.
I know my stance is in the minority however after reading this thread over the last day or so I thought I would go ahead and toss my opinion into the pot.
Written respectfully so hopefully replied to respectfully /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:
Lumthemtorts;

Good reply.

The difference in game animals taken as always been a concern.

However, VDGIF has stated, repeatedly, that they do not believe that allowing hunting on Sundays would a markedly significant impact on the overall take, and if so, the season(s) could be adjusted to be shorter in duration easily to compensate for the addition of Sundays to the hunting calendar.

Which, IMHO, would not be a bad thing. I'd gladly trade the first full week in January of deer season for those Sunday's in late Nov. and through Dec. where, right now, I'm only wishing I could hunt. Ditto that for the first very early week of archery and small game seasons for the Sundays in Oct. when the woods turn gold and I'm forced out of them by nightfall on Sat.

Likewise, your "day of rest" for the animals is, likely, part of the "tradition" that will have to be overcome to allow hunting on Sundays. Again, VDGIF has stated that such a "day off" is not necessary for the game populations, as after the first week or so (of deer season) most go nocturnal or nearly so anyway, and the small game species have pressure spread over a very long season. The likely increased pressure, if any, could be and likely would be, if necessary, offset by abbreviating the duration in weeks of those seasons; giving us and the animals the same number of days in the various seasons, over a 1/7th shorter period of time.

Respectful responses pro and con are not only welcomed, but encouraged.

Thank you.

Since Ohio has allowed statewide Sunday hunting the bag limits have been raised once in the last 4 years on rabbits,squirrels, & dove. We even went to a 2nd week of deer gun season. That has since been eliminated but they have given us a 2nd weekend for guns this past year. I personally see as many deer after deer season has ended on Jan 31st as I do during the year. Wildlife procreates at a rate of available food source. The more we harvest the more they create. Groundhogs are a good example. I'm shooting groundhogs off a farm that my Dad used to take me to when I was 5 years old. Thats been 41 years now & I'll take some more this year off that farm.

Sunday hunting will not affect the game populations. I could be wrong being I'm from Ohio with our diverse ecosystem & extremely large tracts of woodlands & farmlands but I don't see it happening that way.

And again,, Good Luck to all in your fight. Whether you are for or against Sunday hunting. I just wish we could all be for it then exercise our options when the time comes.

TN has Sunday hunting and believe me , there is no shortage of deer or small game. The bag limits are set about the same as Virginia. Most people that hunt never reach the bag limit per day on any game animal that they pursue, reguardless of which day of the week they are in the field. Letting the animal rest a day is a very lame excuse. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Back