Sunday hunting in Virginia

Quote:
bea175,

???? nevermind, i plead the 5th.

chub

Never works for me. Plead temporary insanity. Wife buys it cause she knows it's true...just not the temporary part. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Creek Chub, There’s no sense in taking back your statements or apologizing. In my opinion if you do anything other then sit home and read the Bible on Sunday you’re a hypocrite, face it the statements you made say it all. If you watch TV, shop at Wal-Mart, or go to a restaurant anything that in some way causes someone else to wait on you or provide you a service on Sunday this makes you a hypocrite. Don’t say they can go to a different Sunday service. Sunday is a day of rest you said so yourself, not a day to work then go to church. I could care less if you ever agree, but I want you to answer one question. What makes you think that that it’s ok for you and your Christian groups to deny us our rights as Americans. If I go hunting on Sunday on my property or on private property the only person it affects is me, and that’s between me and my maker. It’s not up to you to try and help save me by trying to keep this ridicules law on the books I’ll save myself thank you. I am a Christian also and I read the same Bible you do but we all have the right to our own interpretation and to choose our own church (remember, freedom of religion). We should also have the right to do what we want on Sunday. Like I said in an earlier post our freedom for Jerry Falwell’s new caddy is a poor trade with devil.

VaPredHunter,

i never said i wanted to take back my statements. i only offered an apology for the comments which i later re-read and thought they might have been out of line. sorry for the confusion.

only God can truly judge who is a hypocrite. besides it is against the Bible to judge. but you already knew that, right?

i hate to answer a question with a question, but if you are a true Christian, what does your preacher say that you are supposed to do on Sunday? maybe observe the Sabbath or fellowship or something along those line. i have visited quite a few churches across the nation and i have never heard one preacher say "do what ever you want on Sunday so long as you are happy."

if you think you can save yourself, go for it. but i will pray for you because nobody can save themselves, nobody.

never in my wildest dreams did i think that offering an apology would come to this.

best of luck to you. i am now officially done with this thread for the last time.

God Bless,

Creek Chub

Creek Chub, I don't need to anwser your question Thomas Jefferson anwsered it for me January 16,1786 here's a copy if you would like to read it, I am going to underline the important parts for you. Now I ask you again why do you wish to deny me and others our rights. Why do you care what others do on Sunday, unless you are trying to push or force your religious belief's on them. You can dodge my question again if you want but I would like a well thought out anwser.

VIRGINIA STATUTE FOR RELIGIOUS FREEDOM

Whereas Almighty God hath created the mind free; that all attempts to influence it by temporal punishments or burthens, or by civil incapacitations, tend only to beget habits of hypocrisy and meanness, and are a departure from the plan of the Holy author of our religion, who being Lord both of body and mind, yet chose not to propagate it by coercions on either, as it was in his Almighty power to do; that the impious presumption of legislators and rulers, civil as well as ecclesiastical, who being themselves but fallible and uninspired men, have assumed dominion over the faith of others, setting up their own opinions and modes of thinking as the only true and infallible, and as such endeavouring to impose them on others, hath established and maintained false religions over the greatest part of the world, and through all time; that to compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves, is sinful and tyrannical; that even the forcing him to support this or that teacher of his own religious persuasion, is depriving him of the comfortable liberty of giving his contributions to the particular pastor, whose morals he would make his pattern, and whose powers he feels most persuasive to righteousness, and is withdrawing from the ministry those temporary rewards, which proceeding from an approbation of their personal conduct, are an additional incitement to earnest and unremitting labours for the instruction of mankind; that our civil rights have no dependence on our religious opinions, any more than our opinions in physics or geometry; that therefore the proscribing any citizen as unworthy the public confidence by laying upon him an incapacity of being called to offices of trust and emolument, unless he profess or renounce this or that religious opinion, is depriving him injuriously of those privileges and advantages to which in common with his fellow-citizens he has a natural right; that it tends only to corrupt the principles of that religion it is meant to encourage, by bribing with a monopoly of worldly honours and emoluments, those who will externally profess and conform to it; that though indeed these are criminal who do not withstand such temptation, yet neither are those innocent who lay the bait in their way; that to suffer the civil magistrate to intrude his powers into the field of opinion, and to restrain the profession or propagation of principles on supposition of their ill tendency, is a dangerous fallacy, which at once destroys all religious liberty, because he being of course judge of that tendency will make his opinions the rule of judgment, and approve or condemn the sentiments of others only as they shall square with or differ from his own; that it is time enough for the rightful purposes of civil government, for its officers to interfere when principles break out into overt acts against peace and good order; and finally, that truth is great and will prevail if left to herself, that she is the proper and sufficient antagonist to error, and has nothing to fear from the conflict, unless by human interposition disarmed of her natural weapons, free argument and debate, errors ceasing to be dangerous when it is permitted freely to contradict them:

Be it enacted by the General Assembly, That no man shall be compelled to frequent or support any religious worship, place, or ministry whatsoever, nor shall be enforced, restrained, molested, or burthened in his body or goods, nor shall otherwise suffer on account of his religious opinions or belief; but that all men shall be free to profess, and by argument to maintain, their opinion in matters of religion, and that the same shall in no wise diminish enlarge, or affect their civil capacities.

And though we well know that this assembly elected by the people for the ordinary purposes of legislation only, have no power to restrain the acts of succeeding assemblies, constituted with powers equal to our own, and that therefore to declare this act to be irrevocable would be of no effect in law; yet we are free to declare, and do declare, that the rights hereby asserted are of the natural rights of mankind, and that if any act shall be hereafter passed to repeal the present, or to narrow its operation, such act shall be an infringement of natural right.

I am a new visitor of this site.This is very useful and very entertaining.It gives a lot of information also.
=====================
sherin

edit:
Please keep links to other sites on topic... thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I could less about what anyone does on Sunday as long as they don't try to force me to do the same. I want to go hunting on Sunday or at least have the option if i chose to do so and only a narrow minded person would think you will be going to he!! for it. I have a lot of other thing in my life that would put me there before hunting on Sunday would.

Quote:
I could less about what anyone does on Sunday as long as they don't try to force me to do the same. I want to go hunting on Sunday or at least have the option if i chose to do so and only a narrow minded person would think you will be going to he!! for it. I have a lot of other thing in my life that would put me there before hunting on Sunday would.

==========================================
bea,
Amen! I didn't quite understand sherin's post, especially after opening the link /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif
Getting Sunday hunting for all species in VA, doesn't have a snowball's chance of passing through our legislature the way it has been presented. What might stand a chance, is changing one word in the statute from "including nuisance species" to "except nuisance species". That could keep me occupied for quite a few Sundays!
F1

What makes me mad is that you can kill fish on Sundays. You can run dogs out of season and screw up my hunt. I am open to just letting it be archery only or even pay a couple of bucks extra on my license. It would open tons more opportunities for me.

There are a lot of good points & opinons listed above. Some I agree with and some I don't. I'm very glad we all have that right.

I don't try to push my beliefs on others and I expect the same in return. I also don't like people that are convenient Christian's and use God only when it best suits there needs. I think that if you want to worship or talk to God that you can do that anywhere & at anytime. I don't think you have to be in a church building to do so. I talk to God a lot while I'm sitting in my deer stand waiting for the big buck to walk by. So I choose to do both (God & Hunting) at the same time. Time in the woods is my time to clear my head and think about a lot of things. I talk to God about some of these things and when I leave the woods I feel a lot better all the way around even if I never see the big buck.

I am lucky enough (job wise)to be able to hunt on Saturdays at this point in time but that could change. I think that hunting on Sunday should be allowed. I don't know that I would hunt both Sat. & Sun. but if others wanted to they should have the right to do so if they choose to. I choose to spend my Sat. in the woods and my Sun. with my family doing different things (church,dinner, beach,visit family, whatever). But this is what works for me. This may not work for others and I respect that.

With the way the economy is and everything else going on in this country today, I think we have a lot "BIGGER" issues/problems to worry/argue about.

Good luck to us all.

"Time in the woods is my time to clear my head and think about a lot of things. I talk to God about some of these things and when I leave the woods I feel a lot better all the way around even if I never see the big buck."

AMEN

VCK,
Apparently, apathy is indeed alive and well in the Commonwealth. Not one single bill was introduced in either House to repeal the ban on Sunday hunting this year. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, and not enough folks squeaked loud enough for our lawmakers to stick their neck out far enough to introduce that legislation.

A "feel good" board has sprung up, dedicated to Sunday hunting, in states where it's restricted. I say "feel good" because it's some of the same folks that have been moaning for years, but likely have not gotten active with their legislators.....I could be wrong about some of them, though.
SundayHunting.com is the addy.
F1

Back