Sunday hunting in Virginia

Technically Sunday is the first day of the week. And "religiously" Saturday would be the sabbath making it "the day of rest" if you were to study this scripturally. I too, am a Christian and support hunting on Sundays. I'm sure all the arguments have already covered all the pros and cons. Nothing would tickle me more pink than to attend Sunday Services hop on my Honda Rancher afterward and head into the Mountain's for an evening hunt, harvest a deer, and be back to share the story at evening service. There's absolutley no harm in it. Just wanted to share my $.02.

Quote:
VaPredHunter,

take a deep breath. relax. i am not judging you by any means. i am only seeking to keep a good Christian law on the books. if you don't like it. they are democratic processes that you and many others can follow.

but bear in mind, this board supports legal and ethical hunting and you stated that you are going to hunt on Sunday. in case you didn't already know, it is still illegal to hunt on Sunday. what's up with that?

God Bless,

Creek Chub

Creek Chub,

I think you are using the words "legal" and "ethical" interchangeably and are equating them with a certain idea of what in your mind is "moral".

Throughout this nation's history there have been many laws that made certain things "legal" that were both unethical and immoral. If it was not for some brave folks, bulstered by conviction of divine Truth, we would still have slavery as a "legal" institution. By your reasoning all laws are ethical and moral by definition because they are legal. You confuse "facts" with "Truths". Facts come and go, but the Truth remains. The two are rarely the same.

The first person who wants to call the game warden and tell him where he is hunting on a Sunday and get a ticket for it gets twenty bucks for his legal defense fund from me if he will take it all the way to the Supreme Court of Virginia and further if the highest court in the land will hear it. I'll make it $100 if anyone will do the same in NC---and I'll visit you every Sunday afternoon in jail for as long as you are there. Me? wife, kid, two dogs and too old, but if somebody whose full of [beeep] and vinegar and unencumbered wants to go for it I'm with you in spirit and pocketbook.

Bye the way VAnimrod, I take back all the bad things I've said about lawyers over the years---I'd be proud to have you sue me anytime.

Call Jerry & Pat and tell them two can play this game. We got us a pro bono gun-slinging (Ruger #1 if memory serves) lawyer with an ax to grind against NC & VA and he ain't playing for 3 in 1 oil. The calvary has arrived! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

dimecovers3,

first you are completly wrong. today in va, it is illegal to hunt on sunday. just stating a fact, period. in terms of ethics, those who chose to circumvent the law may use less than ideal calibers to get avoid getting caught breaking a current law. didn't give a whole lot of detail because i thought it wasn't necessary.

morality you say? what about the abortion issue? it is legal, right? is that ethical or moral? No! you are trying to intrepret my statements too much. if you want to know my opinion, just ask. i will tell you.

you or anyone who breaks the law will need the "calvary", because until the law is reversed I will turn everyone of you into the game wardens. then that will be more game for me to shoot monday-saturday because you are in jail.

God Bless,

Creek Chub

creek chub;

Mind addressing WHY you think hunting on Sunday ought not be allowed, and do it without a legally invalid religious argument?

BTW - fellas, I am not the only person working on getting this stupid law changed.

What I'd recommend you all do is check that list to see if any of your delegates are on it, and if so, call the elected representative to voice your opinion. Please, try to do so with tact and courtesy... it works better than telling them what you really think.

nimrod,

try to overturn abortion with the same vigor that you seek to overturn banned hunting on Sunday in va. as a society, we have got our priorities all mixed up.

like it or not our constitution was founded upon a lot of Christian principles and yes i understand freedom of religion is one of them. i personally and a lot of people like me think our nation is heading in the wrong direction. how any reasonable person can get so riled up about not being able to hunt on Sunday yet millions of babies are slaughtered each year is mind boggling. both are laws but which one is more important to society.

everybody has a view. i have served my country honorably in war and believe everyone's opinions should be heard. you may disagree with my opinion but i will not compromise my Christian integrity to be popular on this board or in society in general.

God Bless,

Creek Chub

The general assembly members are more worried about who is going to apologize for slavery than Sunday hunting. It never seems to amaze me when the majority gets ignored.

So, in other words, you can't argue that Sunday hunting in Virginia ought to remain illegal without resorting to a religious argument?

Is that correct?

The abortion debate is a far different issue; you keep bringinig it up, not me, and I'm not here to discuss that. It's for a far different place and time.

Thank you for your service. I served as well, as did many others, a lot of whom would like to be able to hunt on Sunday, esp. on their own land.

If you go back and check our Constitution, it specifically states that no establishment of religion, meaning no religiously based laws that curtail the choices of others so long as their actions do not injure others, are permissible. That is one of the greatest attributes of our Constitution; meaning that my religious beliefs cannot be forced on you, nor yours on me.

No one has asked you to compromise any of your beliefs; only to state why hunting on Sunday should be impermissible for any reason other than your religious beliefs. You may still believe whatever you want, as fervently as you want, and you may refrain from hunting on Sunday until Doomsday, if that is your choice for whatever reason you have.

But, do you honestly believe that others have to abide by the same restrictions regardless of whether they feel the same as you do, or should it be their choice as to how they pursue their "rest" on Sunday?

It never ceases to amaze me the more religious a person becomes the more they try to force their believes down everyone elses throats. That is why there is so many different types of Baptist, none of them can get along with each others. As far as abortion there is a place for it and it should be a womans choice and not the law, good or bad it is her body. The reason we vote is to keep a small majority from dictating their believes on everyone else. The Sunday law should be put on a ballad and let everyone vote on it . I believe we should have prayer in school, the teacher should be able to bust and kids a$$ who is out of line, the plege of allegiant should be said every morning and we should be allowed to hunt on Sunday , if that is going to put me in hell then so be it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

bea175, et. al.;

Please, this is not the time, place, or forum for an abortion debate/debacle.

Refrain from bringing it up, if you can, 'cause it'll do absolutely no good in a discussion of why we should/should not be permitted to hunt on Sunday.

Thanks, in advance.

Quote:
It never ceases to amaze me the more religious a person becomes the more they try to force their believes down everyone elses throats. That is why there is so many different types of Baptist, none of them can get along with each others. As far as abortion there is a place for it and it should be a womans choice and not the law, good or bad it is her body. The reason we vote is to keep a small majority from dictating their believes on everyone else. The Sunday law should be put on a ballad and let everyone vote on it . I believe we should have prayer in school, the teacher should be able to bust and kids a$$ who is out of line, the plege of allegiant should be said every morning and we should be allowed to hunt on Sunday , if that is going to put me in hell then so be it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

bea175,

To most folks on the outside looking in, the word "religious" implies a person who is a born-again Christian here in the U.S. anyway. I do not consider myself a religious person as I think that term has more to do with ceremony and certain conventations. One can be very religious and never accept Christ as their personal savior and the focus of their being. Conversly, a person can be very spiritual and be closer to God's will for their life than folks that seem very religious by there outward actions, talk and appearance. A Christian is made on the inside and visible to the world on the outside by their deeds and actions, not their hypebole and church attendence.

Religious folks for the most part give the rest of us a bad name and put a bad taste in the mouths of those who have yet to take the final step. Ranting about abortion on a hunting forum would be a prime example. Such people tend to push away good hearted, well meaning folks that are curious. Don't lump everyone together. Some of my best friends have yet to become Christians , but I work on them by example and deed, not preaching. Some guys kill big bucks and some guys talk a lot about how to kill big bucks. This is not the forum for this subtle discussion, either.

I like VAnimrods question: What The Firetruck does Sunday hunting have to do with American law? I think it's very telling that those that say that our laws are based on Christian principles (which they are) don't ever won't to finish the sentence and talk about the freedom FROM religion that was the cornerstone of the same laws.

Special interest groups, including PETA types, aligned with "religious types" read "shysters", (VAnimrod, present company excluded) have often formed unholy alliances to prevent not only Sunday hunting, but some of the other laws that folks on this board want to see changed here in NC to pursue predators as we should be able to. Writing and then a follow up phone call to are elected represenatives is our best plan for the present. If that does not work in due course, then let's get ready to RUMMBUUAALLL.

nimrod,

my mention of abortion is parallel between the two laws. one is legal and one is not. i can't for the life me see how any sane person justify anortion except in extreme cases. you and alot of guys come down on ones side of the fence and I come down on another.

again, you and others don't like it. do something about it. it is the law now and i will do all i can to keep that way just you and the other seek to change it. better luck next time.

God Bless,

Creek Chub

As I stated, I am not stating my position on abortion; this is not the time nor place... but I can bet you that you're wrong on my stance.

Now, if you can give me a non-religious justification for not permitting hunting on Sundays, I am quite interested.

I am not trying to pick a fight, I'd just like to know if such an argument exists; because as yet, I have not seen or heard one that has not been directly answered by the legislation introduced and recently torpedoed in subcommittee.

I am from Ohio. We do have Sunday hunting & I would like to wish every hunter/sportsman in Virginia & North Carolina,,as well as the other 5 states,, the opportunity to either hunt or stay home on Sunday!! Best of Luck getting this passed fellas. It is a long road & a tough road that will have it's setbacks. But I believe in perseverance!!

Continue the Good Fight my Friends!!!!

creek chub,
There is no parallel between the two issues, so get over it!
I have waited until today to respond to your original, and subsequent posts just so I could calm down some. I'm also going to suspend doing a tome on the issue, because I'm not going to change your narrow mind. Your arguments have already been sliced and diced, mostly by VAnimrod, and if you'd pull your self-rightous, sanctimonious head out of your nether regions and open your mind you'd see that.
While I do agree with you, somewhat, about the direction of our country, and some of the reasons for it, it does not have anything to do with whether we can hunt on Sunday, in Virginia, on private land. There is just no real logical order of progression.
You mentioned that our country was founded on Christian principles, yes it was; but it was NOT founded on Christian Doctrine! I've mostly looked at the separation clause as freedom of religion, instead of freedom from religion, at least not in the terms of O'hare, Newdow, the ACLU, et al. But, your beliefs have caused me to look at this more from a liberal slant, rather than my usual conservative perspective. You should be proud, not! Your view, as expressed, believes that the statute against S.H., is a good law , based on religiosity. Our Constitution prevents that, thank God.
If you follow Christ's teachings, as you profess, then you should accept the "Give unto God,what is His; and give unto Caesar what is his...'The Sunday hunting restriction in VA is CAESAR'S LAW, not God's! Show me, in the scriptures, where it says "Thou shalt not hunt on Sunday", you can't, it isn't there. You'd have to use some really far-fetched, convoluted, overeaching reasoning, that which would make a liberal ACLU lawyer agog with pride, to find anything in the Bible that says we should not hunt on Sunday, in Virginia, USA!
In another post, you mentioned that there is a democratic process to change the law. Be careful what you wish for! First, this is not a democracy, but a representative republic. If this were a true democracy(let's just use VA as an example, forget about nationally for now) and hunting came up for a referendum, NONE OF US WOULD BE ABLE TO HUNT ON ANY DAY OF THE WEEK!!! Don't kid yourself, we, as hunters, don't have the numbers, or the media and we'd lose, period! Additionally, has the democratic process worked, when nine(9) elected officials, beholding to special interest groups, not the majority of hunters, can kill a bill that would be contrary to your right to pursue your own form of recreation, or rest, on YOUR OWN PROPERTY, on Sunday? Not very democratic to my way of thinking, but I'm sure it's fine with you because those special interest groups represent your narrow minded, constitutionally illegal interests.
I could go on much further, but I think you should get my drift if you'd take off your blinders. I completely respect you beliefs, and probably share many of them, but they have no place in the State Legislature. Do as your beliefs mandate for you and your family, but don't use them to infringe on what should be my constitutional, as well as God given rights.
God Bless you as well,
F1

It looks like I miss out on a lot my internet server has been down all night! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif

Creek Chub after walking three miles fighting 20 to 30 mph winds trying to make a few stands I had some time to think about my reply. Steve and VAnimrod have both made some very good points on religion and freedom I feel there is one more point that needs to be addressed. We all need to understand that many of the people trying to keep this law in affect are not doing so because of their religious beliefs. They are anti hunting activists and do not want hunting performed at any level any day of the week. Most of us that would like to see this law changed are hard working, church going Christians, and just want the option to enjoy the outdoors. For some of us, Sunday is our only day available. We should all be free to do what we enjoy whether it’s going to church, watching and or participating in sports, or hunting. So keep it on the books and next you won’t be allowed to hunt on Saturday because that’s the Seventh Day Adventists day of worship and Wednesday is bible study night, see a pattern. The anti hunters are going to be walking right along with you Christian extremist. Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell are only worried about the money, if your hunting on Sunday your not contributing to the offering plate and it could deprive them of their new caddy or their 3.5 million dollar house. Our freedom for Jerry Falwells new caddy, now that’s a poor trade with the devil if you ask me.

Public Safety?

Do explain, please.

How would there be more of a "public safety" risk with folks hunting in Sunday than on the other 6 days of the week?

Back