Stray cat decoy. How many of you have them?

Mine showed up yesterday. And I'm very pleased with it so far hopefully I'll get to try it in the field this week
smile.gif

Is everyone else's kind of loud? I would have thought for the money that it would have been whisper quiet.

I haven't had the chance to take it out yet but I'm looking forward to it.

KYDrahthaar,

We have not experienced any negative effects (flaring away or hanging up) from the decoy. We have had them jump on the decoy and then take off (probably due to smelling human scent from us handling decoy). Trust the motion.

i just hunted with tony a week ago, he used it a lot on our stands, all our kills came using it and the foxpro e-caller and the yotes really honed in on IT not on us. [beeep] you should have seen the movement we got away with on our stand we had 3 come in, one came in 10 yards from us, staring right at the decoy the whole time while my buddy whipped around and drilled it with his 308. yote never knew we were there. thing looks amazing out there.

I got mine last week, its a sweet unit, does make motor noise if you get closer to it. I already made a coyote cover for it w/a hide I had laying around.
I have not had it out yet, will happen this weekend though.
I ran a cord from it to my Fury port and now can turn it off & on with my Fury remote (change setting to latched)& you can still use the Primos remote at the same time to change the speeds/steps.
I do not feel it is a $100 unit though, should be maybe $60 tops IMO.

'The unique motion of the stray cat mimics a realistic tail. The coyote DOES NOT KNOW if the "tail" is the meal, or if the "tail" has caught a potential meal and is taking it from the coyote, or if the tail is another animal infringing on its territory. We have had coyotes respond by attacking the decoy, belly crawl and stalk it, aggressively posture the decoy by hunching up, and simply come up to the decoy and STARE AT IT".

John Gorman, thanks for the reply.....you are spot on. As I mentioned in a previous post, a lot of times the coyotes approach and just STARE AT THE DECOY. They almost become mesmerized. Not sure why, but would have to assume that they are thinking something has their meal. We have seen this reaction time and time again. I posted a video earlier in the thread w 2 eastern coyotes doing the 'stare thing" as well.

Here you go Dan brothers. I will post a couple other videos later today. This is a double on Easterns in an open field. Good example of what I was saying about them staring at the decoy. As the first coyote approaches, he hunches up and postures the decoy w his tongue sticking out. Then they go into stare mode.

jarheadhunter, I believe Wallmart has them for around $73

Originally Posted By: jarheadhunterWhere is the cheapest place to pick one up right now anyone know?

APC maybe?

The cheapest that I could find a couple of weeks ago was ordering online through Walmart. .97 cent shipping to boot.

Originally Posted By: stickbow_hunterHere you go Dan brothers. I will post a couple other videos later today. This is a double on Easterns in an open field. Good example of what I was saying about them staring at the decoy. As the first coyote approaches, he hunches up and postures the decoy w his tongue sticking out. Then they go into stare mode.

Cool video thanks for sharing with us. I am guessing you were using a shotgun?

Originally Posted By: stickbow_hunterHere you go Dan brothers. I will post a couple other videos later today. This is a double on Easterns in an open field. Good example of what I was saying about them staring at the decoy. As the first coyote approaches, he hunches up and postures the decoy w his tongue sticking out. Then they go into stare mode.

Hope ya don't mind if I tell ya what I see in this video.

I see 2 coyotes responding to an electronic caller. I see the lead coyote go by the decoy/caller and give it a fleeting glance as it goes by. Then the lead coyote checks up and is looking directly at the camera man/shooter.

It is not known to the viewer if the second coyote even looked at the decoy because it was off screen until it trotted past (never stopping) the lead coyote while also looking towards the camera man/shooter.

I do not see either coyote "hunch up and posture the decoy with his tongue sticking out".

I do see one "go into stare mode", but it is NOT staring at the decoy.

I also see some nice shooting on the second running coyote. Shotgun or rifle?

Just what I saw in the video. Others may see different.

Back