Sow Nailed in Backyard

FLIR Hog Train just pulled in from the station, gettin' ready to do some night thermal blasting!

FLIR%20Hog%20Train.jpg

Very nice..
Have you ever tried to slice off the pork bellies and turn them into Bacon?
With a # of bacon costing $8 I have been eating a lot less of it.

Originally Posted By: SkyPupKissimmee Chain of Lakes WMA public land right south of Orlando and Disney World just now changed their regulations to allow hog hunting 365 days a year from sunup to sundown for anyone interested in bagging some hogs for free, it is the only WMA in Florida with year round hogging:

http://myfwc.com/hunting/wma-brochures/ne/kissimmee/

Too bad they won't let people hunt those hogs at night. Are hogs much more active at night than in the daylight? I suspect that they are but I'm not sure. Maybe they are active all the time. But they must sleep some where some time.

They mostly sleep and hide out in very thick totally inaccessible areas during the daytime and begin to roam around for food sometime prior to dusk, but most of their feeding year round is at night. The chances of seeing them are greatest at dusk and through the night, usually they stay in really thick stuff during the day that you cannot penetrate although now and then you accidentally run into them during the day.

To really be able to get them during the day, you would need dogs to scare them out of their security zones.

Was out cruising the backyard on the ATVs when we saw two hogs about a half mile down the powerline grade, stalked them up to 250 yards and let a 250 pound boar have a .308, lots of good bacon on this one...

Dom%20Hog%20Atv.jpg

SkyPup-

Do you actually get bacon from the belly? Most of the hogs I have killed have been very, very lean. I have been super happy with back straps, hams and shoulder roasts...

Hi Skypup

It seems like you've been quiteeeee busy lately
smile.gif
Congrats man.

It looks like I will need some advice from on the Thermal Scopes later on !!!! I need one too.....

Originally Posted By: kylekrm944SkyPup-

Do you actually get bacon from the belly? Most of the hogs I have killed have been very, very lean. I have been super happy with back straps, hams and shoulder roasts...

We pretty much use it for the grind in the sausage..

Originally Posted By: doublecheeseHi Skypup

It seems like you've been quiteeeee busy lately
smile.gif
Congrats man.

It looks like I will need some advice from on the Thermal Scopes later on !!!! I need one too.....

Anytime buddy, you could use some thermal at night as it would be awesome where you are hunting!

Now is harvesting time about to begin for the farmers and we will get to see many hogs with NV on the open fields.

But in some areas there are lots of trees and with NV it's kind of difficult to see behind the trees. My Flir LS64 shows me where the hogs are but I can't see them with my NV scope.

I would prefer thermal that fits infront of my daily scope I guess..... Or should I get a thermal scope on its own ?

BTW - I just saw your 8 Hog Kill video !!! Excellent !!! Congrats , I loved it !!!

Last edited:
HaHa, that eight hog kill video was with a FLIR T-70 thermal clip-on in front of an ELCAN Specter DR 1.5-6X-42mm on top of SIG 716 7.62mm!!!!
smile.gif

That was a great video

What is your opinion, which one is more useful ? A thermal clip on or a Thermal Rifle Scope on it's own.

I own Swarovski Optik day scopes (Various Models) and I would like to use the thermal as clip on. Feels like clip on is an easier option than replacing the scopes everytime. or not ?

Personally, I like the versatility of a good clip-on, although a dedicated rifle with a dedicated thermal weapon scope is good too, basically I use clip-ons primarily to take advantage of good glass...

I sold my dedicated NV riflescope and bought a new Clip On NV model, I like the clip on because I do not have re-zero for each different rifles and it is also much smaller than 6X NV riflescope... Here are the details

http://nightvision.ru/en/catalog/3/item/148

I was wondering if the Clip On Thermal can be used as mentioned above, similarly. Since you tried them all, do you think a clip on would do or should I go for a dedicated Thermal Scope ?

Back