Sow Nailed in Backyard

That hog had a difficult time believing that a tiny 556 put him onto his last breath.....I was out coyote hunting or I would have had the 7.62.

Of course, he enjoyed a final first class FLIR meal of whole corn and molasses prior to his execution.

Bald Eagles enjoying some fresh pork today!

Two%20Eagles.jpg

Calling for 'yotes tonight and this big loner boar shows up deep in the woods, one shot @ 260 yards through the lungs and DOA:

IMI%20Ammo.jpg

NV%20350lb%20Hog%20ATV.jpg

NV%20350lb%20Hog%20Head.jpg

350lb%20Hog%20ATV.jpg

350lb%20Hog%20Head.jpg

And this weekend we will have 5 FLIR RS scopes to play with!

When I am sniping these big ones out (not just blasting them), with a fragmenting OTM bullet like the Sierra 77 grain MatchKing in those IMI rounds there is not a chance of bone crushing penetration like with a Barnes bullet, so only cure is to slip on into the lungs and blow them both out with the heart, then they only have one breath left, the one they previously took. That takes precise shooting to make a hit like that out 260 yards in the pitch dark.

My SIG 556 and FLIR T-70 with the ACOG TA02 work in excellent harmony together to pull this off over and over again.

The bullet entered about two inches behind the scapula through the rib cage and disintegrated on impact showering the lungs with high speed fragments that tore them all to [beeep], a little too low would have hit the heart, a little too high would have hit the vertebral column, a little to the right would have hit the diaphragm, a little too left would have smashed his fore-shank. It's all good when you can place a shot precisely in the boiler-room

Of course, having graduated from veterinary school some 35+ years ago, it does help to have an intimate knowledge of swine anatomy too so you can picture in your mind's eye what your carefully placed bullet is going to head into internally so that you can produce a lethal wound and not just take any shot that presents itself. These lage 350+ pound hogs are tough critters and very difficult to bring down as you know.

IMI Sierra 77 grain MatchKing entered adjacent to elbow on the other side of the hog hitting a rib and fragmented into numerous pieces (which fell out when removing the far shoulder here in the photo) the fragments trashed both lungs and heart and embedded into the far inside shoulder:

350lb%20IMI%20Bullet%20Wound.jpg

Entry wound on opposite ribcage behind the elbow was a pencil sized hole.

The Barnes 70 grain TSX is a MUCH BETTER penetrator than any heavy OTM bullet on hogs.

Sure am glad to have the FLIR T-70's to be able to snipe out a precision shot like this at such long range!

Okay, we have been out in the woods using the new FLIR RS Thermal Weapon scopes for the last four day, so forgive me for not answering emails and PMs as we were up at 4AM hunting all day and home again at 2AM to butcher out the night kills. Running full bore on 2-3 hours of sleep per day or perhaps a nap during the afternoon in a stand tends to run you down some....[:)]

It was a difficult time with the weather as it was record heat here with 100% mono-thermal environmental temperatures due to the rain and fog and 100% humidity, making it difficult to use both NV & Thermal, but we scored good and all had a [beeep] good time. One night we had clear skies and was the best for using all the high-tech gear and it was put to best good use that night.

I think the funniest story was when we put Victor DiCosola of TNVC on a hog trail by himself with my SIG 556, FLIR T-70/ACOG and DBAL-D2 laser illuminator, two other groups were a 1/4 mile away from him and heard sounder groups of hogs approaching in the night through the thick inpenetrable swamps all around us. Vic had probably a 30 foot clear shooting range from dense underbrush in the hardwood hammock all around him sitting in a chair. He did not know the other groups had heard the hogs coming up out of the swamps into the hardwood hammock as he was alone in the woods. But the hogs bypassed our two other groups somehow and headed up the trial that we had Vic setup on.

He heard quite a bit of thrashing and grunting all around him and low and behold he was surrounded by a large sounder coming right in the trail on him, see eyes he scrambled to get into a shooting position, hoping that the hogs right near all around him would not charge him, one shot right between the eyes with a handloaded Barnes 70 grain TSX dropped a hog in it tracks and the sounder busted out through the woods scrambling all around him. Probably would have been much safer to have been in a tree stand next time!!! LOL

Angelo Brewer of FLIR Corporation brought six of the FLIR RS Thermal weapon scopes with him, we sighted them in at laser measured 50 yards on a handwarmer and were shootin 1/4-1/2 groups in two minutes after first putting the scopes on, the scopes are super easy to sight in, for accuracy I would recommend shooting at 200 yards for final dial in. Three hogs were taken down with both the FLIR RS64-60mm lens, the FLIR RS35-60mm and FLIR RS64-35mm. All worked very well under the extreme environmental conditions and were simple to setup and adjust. If you can use a FLIR PS-32 or LS-64, you can use one of these thermal instruments as they are very intuitive to use and functional to adjust in the night.

Here are some pics from our hunts:

FLIR RS64-60mm on my SIG 556:

SIG%20556%20FLIR%20RS64%20Hog%20Bones.jpg

Guns and FLIR Thermals in trunk:

Guns%20and%20Scopes%20Trunk.jpg

Rifles sighted in:

Guns%20and%20Scopes.jpg

My shooting range on power line at night through thermal:

FLIR%20M18%20View.jpg

Angelos' Noveske on his stand:

Angreo%20Noveske%20RS64.jpg

Angelos' first sow hog:

Anhelo%20Hog%20FLIR%20RS35.jpg

Nicks RS35-60mm hog @ 125 yards:

Nick%20Hog%20RS35.jpg

RS35-35mm hog at 125 yards:

FLIR%20RS35%20Hog.jpg

Vic on his stand after sunrise:

Vic%20Feeder.jpg

Group hog pic:

Group%20Hog%20Pic.jpg

Vic with ANVIS and his nice tusker:

Vic%20Hog%20Tailgate.jpg

Finishing up dressing out the hogs:

Dressing%20Hog%20In%20Barn.jpg

More to come on the use and performance of the FLIR RS scopes later, stay tuned....

Three other shooters, all with NV, and NONE of them could see this hog back in the deep brush but me with the FLIR T-70, one headshot put the swine down.

Everyone is standing around asking me how I saw him and how I could possibly shoot him in the head?

THERMAL BABY!!!

Price%20Prairie%20Boar.jpg

Price%20Prairie%20Boar3.jpg

Price%20Prairie%202.jpg

I love the title of this post...it reminds me of when I went "hoggin" down town n brought home a a big chick at bar time
tt2.gif
I thought my land was blessed with game!

Originally Posted By: DultimatpredatorI love the title of this post...it reminds me of when I went "hoggin" down town n brought home a a big chick at bar time
tt2.gif

LOL, so there are plenty of "hogs" in Wisconsin after all...
scared.gif

Originally Posted By: SkyPupOriginally Posted By: DultimatpredatorI love the title of this post...it reminds me of when I went "hoggin" down town n brought home a a big chick at bar time
tt2.gif

LOL, so there are plenty of "hogs" in Wisconsin after all...
scared.gif

...only in farms, game farms....and bars. I did see one along the side of the road along the river bottoms years ago, but here in the southern part of the state we have none that I'm aware of. Wish we did, I'd live on pork ribs. Just huge white tails, bear, wolves, turkeys, coyotes,fox, coons, bobcats, and a herd of about 250 elk that were planted back in the 80's.

Last edited:
FLIR RS64-35mm on my kick arse Ruger #1 master sniper blaster, there is absolutely nothing anywhere near my backyard that can survive on handloaded 7mm Rem Mag!

HOGS N' DOGS BE GONE!

RS64%20Ruger.jpg

RS64%20Ruger%20Close.jpg

Back